• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 tr6 windshield replacement

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hey guys, got a new windshield and am going to replace it. any advice? how about sealant? i dont know where to get the dum dum from for it. what should i use on it? anyone put it in dry with no sealant? thanks
Randy

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I used no sealent!

perfect fit no drips!

DSC07734.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
A lubricant perhaps, but no sealant should be required.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
soapy water and a thin rope is all ya need!

& a two man team!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
No sealant here either. Used Armorall and the assistance of two friends positioning the glass as I pulled the coated nylon cord. The trim strip was a little tricky on the curved corners (did'nt want to stay in), but with patience, the installation went surpisingly well.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I did it twice..... got the first one in 3/4 of the way and I pushed too hard on the corner.....CRACK!
Second one went better. I did not use sealant. Just take your time and use the rope to ease it into the rubber channel.
Best advice is EASY DOES IT.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
No sealant needed for mine either. Just soap and water. For sure you need two people, my wife and I managed it so you may not have to go far for the second pair of hands.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
ya' then you can blame her when it cracks!

OP
T

tr6lover

Jedi Trainee
hey guys, im having a problem trying to get the seal on the windshield so then i can attempt to put it on the car. i got the seal from vic. british and im wondering if maybe the rubber is supposed to be contoured more.....did you guys seal the seal to the glass before trying to pop it on the car? im frustrated here trying to get it on and stay on! thanks guys
Randy

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Having done a few hundred over the last 30+years I will throw in my 5cents.The rope must be cotton clothes line,smaller cords can easily tear the rubber.A little tape to hold in the chrome strip is good.Sealing ,if needed, is done after install.However it is getting hard to get the liquid butyl sealer as there are very few rubber set windows on the road today.You can use the dish soap straight up as a lube.I suggest carefull cleaning of the frame,in fact,great time to freshen up the mat black paint!!
MD(mad dog)

hondo402000

Darth Vader
rubber seal goes on the glass first, you could use silicon to glue the gasket to the windscreen and tape to hold it and cure over night, then windscreen to frame, like the above post soap and nylon string( put the string in the seals groove all the way around the gasket with the end on the inside of the car i started at the bottom and worke my way around a dental pick help pull the seal in around the corners, be careful cause the nylon roap can rip the gasket if you pull too hard, just go all the way around and get the lip on the inside of the frame and then use some slight pressure on the glass and pound it home, with the palm of you hands and evenly all the way around and it will pop in the frame just take your time hope that helps,

hondo402000

Darth Vader
as a side note when i decided to pull the wind screen frame out to sand blast and repaint I tried to get the windscreen out and tried to save the gasket, big mistake, cracked the glass in the process but save the 30 dollar gasket and new glass well at least over 100 bucks, yes i know

laneriddle

Freshman Member
Country flag
Windscreen on my Tr6 is milky looking around the edges. Is it delaminating or something?
what type of glass should I replace it with?
I notice in the parts catalogs prices from about $150 up to $450.
Whats the deal?
thanks

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The "Triplex" for 450 is the original brand that was installed in factory new cars..desired by some for this fact alone
My replacement came from Moss...'solid tinted' about 180 bucks
The tinting is very light, but noticeable:DRL 004.jpg

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
^^^^ Handsome TR6!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Will second the stout course, like a quarter inch cotton clothesline. I used a strong twine, on the theory it would be easier to pull out. Wrong, it can and did break, and more importantly will rip through the rubber gasket. I did one myself years ago and did fine. Second time I screwed up and cracked the glass. Had a guy come and install on site. He used the thicker cord and had it on very quickly, after watching and learning from my mistakes wouldn't hesitate to try again myself. Lube on install with soapy water or Windex as you go. No additional sealant should be needed.

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I looked at You Tube and will be doing it this week. One You Tube guy did it himself others had two guys. Soap no sealant air cord seems to be right size cord. corners seem to be the tricky part and go from center bottom each way around up. The filler seemed to be some work one guy used a rubber mallet over tool. From You Tube to this BLOG thank guys. Madflyer

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well I started windscreen today just putting seal on more than an hour with one person. I do not think shape matters much. Just dish soap worked well enough I am letting it sit for awhile to find it self and I needed a brake. So far it is easier than and MG B. because you have to take frame off on a MG B. I will try nylon jump cord . Madflyer

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Another day and done. # 1 I think the 1/4 cord is better I used nylon a little smaller and nicked seal at post and visor but still OK. # 2 I used dish soap cut 50/50 water. Seal is hard to install but got it. # 3 The filler You Tube one used a tool another used a rubber mallet. I used a lot of soap in the slot with my hand it slipped right in and corners did OK I will let dry. As for the filler when I took my old one off after many years it was 3 inches short and trim piece did nothing to cover space. I was ounce told to put it in the freezer for a day or so I did that and left it long and marked where I might cut to fit as it is now in a 90 plus deg. garage it is longer already as it got to temp. It is still sitting in soapy water and moves easy. ( NOTE ) go slow and some kind of tool to help cord around press glass as you go lots of soap. I went from tinted glass to clear and with so many road miles the chips were bad in to the sun and night lights. Best of luck Madflyer