• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Considering parting with my Jag

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
I've got a 1989 xj6, and as I pulled into the driveway today, I noticed my little dents on the body (not my dents, the previous owner). I've been doing some little restoration work for the past 10 months, and things have been coming along great. The engine is in great shape, 37,000, I just got new rims(and soon to be tires) from a 2000 xj8. The interior is in great shape, nearly new, except for the faded wood, and chipping near the ash tray. The other problems would be several/many small dents, the need of a paint job(it's not too bad, but still important), a dent in the rear bumper, and a chip off a tail light. I also have a bulb failure(not worried about), and a anti lock failure(the anti lock breaks work fine), and the occasional low break pressure.

Ideally, when I bought the car I was going to have it forever(first car, and a jag!). What I am worried about, is whether or not if I put my car into supreme condition the value will go up. I look at other xj40 models, and don't notice a large market, and don't see a future market. Really, am I better off fixing a problem or two, and selling my car, or keeping it, and hopefully getting a return in several years(I'm prepared to wait). I bought the car for $1,000, and I know I can get more than that now.

If I do get another car, which I will, it must be a jag. Probably a later model so I won't have to worry about restoration problems, but an xj6 or xj8? Ideally, a vanden plas model.

D

Deleted member 8987

You have a car in great shape, a good driver, paid for, something you can be proud of and drive.

Why not keep it?

It's what you like?

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
In some ways the 88 and 89 XJ40s are more interesting than the later cars. They are more like Jaguars "vision" of what they were supposed to be. But, they are more troublesome, and have been since the day they were introduced. They do not have a great reputation for reliability.That hurts the re sale value a lot. On the other hand, it makes what were once expensive cars, excellent cheap used cars.Most cars, by now anyway, have had the most egregious faults fixed,and they are pretty decent "cars". I have a 93 that I picked up for a grand. It is an OK car, and works great as a beater,(hate the color though... Oyster... bleagh) but I intend to drive it until either I can't stand the sight of it anymore, or I wear it out.I don't think I will live long enough to see them become "valuable" cars. It is very difficult to make money restoring any car. So, if you like the car, and it runs OK, why not just drive it until it drops? The little dents and dings are part of the history of the car, and if not too bad, could just be lived with. It is really easy to change bumpers, so hunt up a better one.
Just my 2 cents anyway

Brill

Sort of funny reading this.. I have an 88 XJ40 VdP that I picked up really cheap. Nearly mint interior, engine bay one can eat off, runs like a champ (got 27 mpg on a recent trip from southern CT to LI)Unfortunately, has some minor issues... a bulb failure, anti-lock failure (yep, mine are still working fine) and an occasional low coolant level (despite being quite full).
It too has a chipped tail light lens and several small dings throughout.
I love the color of mine as I haven't ever seen it before on any other Jags, Alpine Green over Doeskin.

My thoughts: So far, found it to be a great car. Is it THE Jag I'd like to own? No. However, it still carries all the Jag mystique and is a blast to drive. So, I'm slowly getting her up to near perfect where she will be worth a bit more and then will most probably trade up to the XJS 12 that I'd like. That could take a few months or maybe even a couple of years.

My suggestion: Do the same. Enjoy her now and as you learn more about the brand, the model, etc you'll be better prepared to keep working on your own cars as that is much cheaper than taking them to dealers/mechanics.
ALWAYS keep your eyes and ears open for that killer deal... they happen, alot .. trust me.

Have fun,

Talk soon,

OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
Brill, I actually have come to feel the same way about my car. Regaurdless if it doesn't become very valuable. Trust me, every day or so I look for the killer deal.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
unoficially, you have a Series 4 XJ, oficially an XJ-40, the second year Series 4 for the US market, and thankfully, before Ford's influence, even though Ford "took over" in 1989, (at least on paper), those are the LAST "real" Jaguar. Period, case closed. Yes they are known as XJ-6 because of the previous 3 Series of XJ.

I agree that the '88 and '89 are the more interesting of the Series 4 and all other subsequent Series.

For what you paid for it, keep it. These cars are for keeps, not for profit.

For the dents, call Dent King or Dent Meister and let them remove the dings without any paint job, especially if the paint is good.

If you want to redo the wood, contact Saul Chaplin in Orlando Fl, (British Autowood), and let him redo it as you want, even with exotic veneers, all matching. (Red-stained wood, would be interesting, it's always "orangy")

It's your party, and you cry if you want to, but I am not preaching in underwear, I bought my first Jaguar in 1990, a 1984 XJ-6, and I still have it 19 years later. I have no reason or plans to sell it, I just love the car and it has been the most reliable car I ever had since my first car in 1969. It never fails that I find someone's card under the windshield wiper with a "please call me if you want to sell" note.

Ok, maybe I'm just afraid I will not find another car as reliable, so let it be.

Happiness is Not For Sale.

Ex

OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
That was truly beautiful. I will have this car until the day I die. Of course, by then, it should be worth a bundle.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tophatchef said:
That was truly beautiful. I will have this car until the day I die. Of course, by then, it should be worth a bundle.

:lol: :lol: :lol----Keoke