• NOTICE: This "Forum Navigation Questions" forum is only for asking questions related to navigating this web site. DO NOT post car-related questions here., For car-related questions, use the appropriate marque-related forum.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to Attribute a Quote

Twosheds

Darth Vader
When one is using the quote (") thingie, how does one attribute the quote? If I put the name after the first word quote and before the right bracket, it doesn't come out as a quote:

[quote John]How does one attribute a quote? [/quote]

What am I doing wrong?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Twosheds said:
When one is using the quote (") thingie, how does one attribute the quote? If I put the name after the first word quote and before the right bracket, it doesn't come out as a quote:

[quote John]How does one attribute a quote?

What am I doing wrong?

If you are quoting another member from another post in a thread, simply click on the "quote" button that is at the bottom of THAT person's post that you want to quote. For example, I just clicked the "quote" button on your post here and, as you can see, it attributes the quote to you. Once you click the quote button, that person's entire post (including and quotes they may have made) will be placed in your editor window. You can then (and you should) delete any parts of their post that you are not actually responding to. Be careful when you delete stuff not to disturb their quote tag or the final closing quote tag. If you want to attribute the quote to someone else that is not a member, or you are not quoting another post, you can manually add who you are quoting, for example:

John Lennon said:
I am the egg man, goo goo goo Joob

This would be done by using the
quote.gif
thing then manually adding "=person being quoted" The above example, would look like this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
John Lennon said:
I am the egg man, goo goo goo Joob
</pre>[/QUOTE]

OP
Twosheds

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Thanks!

But now it says "originally posted by..." even though it wasn't. It is just a quote.

Not a big deal, however.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Twosheds said:
Thanks!

But now it says "originally posted by..." even though it wasn't. It is just a quote.

Not a big deal, however.

The only way to not have the "Originally Posted By" text is to not use a specific name in the quote, but then just use the normal -- after the quote. For example:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I am the egg man, Goo goo goo joob
-- John Lennon
[/QUOTE]