• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR 3A Brake Line Restrictor Valve

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Afternoon, raining cats & dogs outside, so, no yard work today, Yea! Preparing for bending and assembling of the brake lines and from previous threads I noted that several of you have suggested removing the interior components of the valve. I wasn't even sure that I still had the valve. I do and I have taken it apart and in the photo you can see what I found in the valve. There is also a spring in there. I feel that someone has taken it apart and did not put all of the components back in. in fact the little screw really just fell out. since there is a part or parts missing should I toss the screw and spring, give it a good cleaning and reassemble it? Or should I try to get a whole used unit in good shape?

As always your thoughts are appreciated!

Tinkerman

Attachments

• 16664.jpg
    16664.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 223

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am running the system with the internal parts removed -- no problems. My valve was complete, so I put the internals in the drawer with the other odd bits and pieces that might prove handy some day. You could try running that way and, if you ever decide you need the valve, find a complete valve then. It's not a big deal to replace that part on a completed car.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
FYI - the diagram from when I removed mine about 7 years ago:

restrictor%20valve2.JPG

You need a little more than what your picture shows.

About a yeart ago I reinstalled the valve as I thought I was getting more pedal travel than I liked. I had originally removed it because brake drag was producing a lot of dust and I was also concerned about wear & heat. I now think it may have just needed a good cleaning.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's another shot of the guts of the RPV. Looks like you are only missing the larger spring. (Click on the image for a larger version)

I never did like having the brakes deliberately drag, so I removed the guts from the one on my TR3A back in 1984. I could sometimes notice that the pedal was a bit lower after a hard corner; but only a little and only after a very hard corner.

I did buy one of the "uncle jack" uprated spindle kits (now available as TRF P/N HP661), but still haven't installed it.

Note that Triumph deleted the RPV on later cars without doing anything else to solve the knock-back problem. Evidently they also felt the cure was worse than the disease.

PS, removing the valve from TS13571L is one of the "must do" items on my list before putting it back on the road.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Well, judging from the pictures and the diagrams I have everything that I need for the restrictor valve. The spring is still inside the valve so its all there. I guess that I will put the innards, cleaned up, into storage and put it together and see if I like the way it works. As Moses indicated I can always put it back in.
Thanks for all your thoughts, pictures and diagrams. Sure helps.

Tinkerman