• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lah-di-dah

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Now that 95% of the tear-down & rebuild is done, I just don't feel the same need that I had over the last couple of years, to post technical questions.

-- So --

The weather in the Twin Cities has been swell. The car's been driven daily since finally nailing the leaky fuel tank problem, last Sunday. People comment on the thing <span style="font-style: italic">everywhere</span> I go. The car is running like the little bomb it's supposed to be! A guy at the liquor store shouted, "That looks like fun." All I could say was, "It is!"

All y'all still deep in the midst of "the project" have this to look forward to.

Summertime... and the drivin' is easy...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just took a look at that "spare time" project on your website.

looks GREAT!

Congrats on bringing a 95% useless pile of steel back to life and into its second childhood!

Tom

4aKen

Jedi Trainee
Lot of talent and craftsmanship on display. Man, I like the "Offenhauser" cover, where did you score that?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Moseso said:
Now that 95% of the tear-down & rebuild is done, I just don't feel the same need that I had over the last couple of years, to post technical questions.

Really?!?! 'magine 'at! :jester:

Well, post whatever else ya feel like. Just don't disappear now.

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
4aKen said:
Lot of talent and craftsmanship on display. Man, I like the "Offenhauser" cover, where did you score that?
Exeter Auto Supply
I just checked their price. They have gone seriously UP! I am certain that I paid $100 less than they showed today. Oh, well... Glad I got it last year, I guess.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Wow, I just visited your website. Definitely gets me in the mood for a road trip! I'd love to hear one of your jam sessions, Stevie Ray is my typical wrenching music when I'm working on the TR. Great job on the car, and I hope Exeter comes back down on pricing as that cover is beautiful.

Randy

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
So Moses, do you remember the thread that talked about "when does it stop" or something like that. Have fun now though, can't wait til when I'm talking the same way, heh.

Tinkerman

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I finished the body-off restoration of my 1958 TR3A back in 1990. Let me tell you a secret. Mine still isn't finished. Partly because it requires continuous maintenance as someone wrote above and because of the fact that since then, I've driven "TRusty" a little more than 100,000 miles and this means it's never finished. For example, just this week I was under the back end looking up at the axle and noticed that the bolt that secures the brass body to the top RHS of the axle for the brake lines was missing. This is where the brake line goes to the back of the TR, enters this brass item and there are two outlets for the two pipes that go to both the rear brake cylinders. I suppose it had vibrated loose and had fallen out. When ? I don't know. Sometime during the past 18 years.

Attachments

• 16586.jpg
    16586.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 141
OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Of course, it's never "done." No car is -- not even a new one. I find wrenching on 'em enjoyable, and would advise that attitude as a prerequisite to sidescreen TR ownership.

To wit: I jinxed myself! Yesterday morning, I posted about how smoothly my car was running. Yesterday evening, the (brand new, modern gear-reduction) starter quit. Stone dead. Not sure where the problem is, and won't be till this weekend when I will have a little more time to troubleshoot. In the mean time, I SURE am glad TR3s come with a hand starter -- and that I know how to use it. (Step one: be sure the motor is in a good state of tune. You really want it to start on the first or second pull!)

OP
Moseso

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR4nut --
Y'all come! That'd be swell! Let me know before you decide to set out. Katy is where a large guitar parts supplier is located -- kinda like TRF for guitars. I'll have you bring me a parts order! :laugh:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
noticed that the bolt that secures the brass body to the top RHS of the axle for the brake lines was missing.
Could always be worse. I stopped for gas yesterday, and noticed that one of the front wheel studs is broken! Just snapped, about flush with the steel wheel. Looks like maybe it was cracked for a long time, as about 2/3 of the exposed end is dull "gunmetal" color while only 1/3 is bright. But I guess I'd best get some new studs ordered.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
YIKES!! Them li'l stud thingies are kinda important, Randall! What do ya think fractured it? Somebody loose with an air gun? I can't imagine that with you as the owner, tho.

You'll now want to R&R all of 'em is my guess.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Beats me how it happened, Doc. Those nuts have certainly never been overtorqued under my care; or even seen an impact gun for that matter. And if it was overtorque, I'd expect some indication of that, like distorted threads. One of the Stags had distorted threads on every stud, so I believe at least usually they will distort before they break. OTOH, I did drive over some <span style="font-weight: bold">really </span> rough roads yesterday (got lost in a heavy industrial area) so that may have had something to do with it.

But I've got less than 100 miles total on the TR3 since it came into my hands, so there's no telling what happened during it's previous history.

Yes, I'll replace all the front studs. Rear studs on a TR3 are a PITA to replace and are totally different construction, so I'll probably leave them be until I see some sort of problem on the rear.