Thread: TR3A Handbrake Assembly Woes

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TR3A Handbrake Assembly Woes

I am spending too much time trying to get this thing back together. The thumb knob, actuator shaft, pawl and ratchet have to go together precisely or it ain't gonna work. I've tried various combinations and can't get it done. Has anyone out there done this and can you tell me how it has to go and how to assemble the parts?

Thanks, Tinkerman the frustrated!
    Dick LeClair
    Mid Tennessee
    1960 TR 3A

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

"ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORENDUM"

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: TR3A Handbrake Assembly Woes

Can't be much help, but maybe encouraging. I only owned a TR3A for 10 days and even after being forwarned and mentally prepared, I still couldn't get used to the "fly off" emergency brake. Putting one together would be a nightmare for me. Bear up old boy and good luck.
    "It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own."
    Malcolm Forbes
    1974 Jensen-Healey
    1965 Sunbeam Alpine type IV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Dick-

I have a spare sitting on my bench and one installed on a frame if you need some closeups. I didn't disassemble, though, so I'll be learning this as I go too.

Randy
    Randy
    70 TR6 - running
    59 TR3A - slumbering
    64 TR4 - got another one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely rebuilt ours about a year ago and recall that pawl gave me fits. If I remember correctly, I installed the pawl and then jammed the toothed thingie into the handle afterwards. It helps to have a third hand when trying to line up the pawl pivot hole with its hole in the handle in preparation for driving in the pivot pin. Also, as I'm sure you know, unlike modern handbrakes, the TR3 handbrake button on top of the handle does not release the brake - it sets it by jamming the pawl downwards and into the toothed thingie, which holds the brake in the activated cable-tensioned position. The brake is released by pulling the handle a bit farther back, allowing the button spring to raise the pawl from the teeth, allowing you to move the handle forward, detensioning the brake cable and releasing the brake. Took me a while to get my head around this, since I was used to button-is-release systems.
    Craig Landrum, CTO
    Mindwrap, Inc.
    Flint Hill, VA
    1961 AH 3000 MkII [sold when I went in Army in 71]
    1962 AH 3000 MkII [bought while at NSA, totalled in 76]
    1962 AH 3000 MkII tri-carb [sold to build room on house]
    1959 TR3A in progress...

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I could help but I'm looking forward to your solution. I took mine apart 6 months ago to get rechromed. I do have a complete spare so I was sure I could put it back together in minutes. So I just went out to the garage to give it a try, no luck. Long hard day at work, don't want to deal with right now. Good luck.
    Keith D
    1974 TR6 been the owner of this car for 37 years.
    1956 TR3 car is being restored.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I had to go out and try again. I got the assembly put back together in about 15 minutes. I would love to tell you in person but our 3 hour time difference is a problem. A few hints are to make sure the rod, spring, and washer go into the handle from the top. Then I used a small bolt to depress the button so I could install the pawl. I did not use the correct pin at this time but a smaller diameter screwdriver instead. That will give you the needed play to install the rachet with the teeth facing the front of the car. Remember that the rachet bolts to the attachment plate not the handbrake handle. The cable connects to the handle. You can then remove the screwdriver and install the pin. I hope this helps.
    Keith D
    1974 TR6 been the owner of this car for 37 years.
    1956 TR3 car is being restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well! The deed is done. The handhrake is assembled and will go on the frame this week. My basic conceptual problem was that I was figuring it for a "push to release" rather than a "push to engage"! Thanks Craig and Keith for getting me straight on that. Also thanks to Randy for the help and pictures.

What I had to do is to push the pawl rod far enough into the lever so that I could hook the pawl on, with the point part of the pawl facing the rear of the car. Once that was connected to the rod I then realeased it to go back into the handle. I then inserted the ratchet lever with the teeth pointing towards the front of the car. Since the pawl was not yet pinned to the handle base it slipped in very well. I then hooked the pawl to the handle base and all is well, and yes Keith it only took about 15 min to do it.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Tinkerman
    Dick LeClair
    Mid Tennessee
    1960 TR 3A

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!

"ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORENDUM"