• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Just thinking stage now...

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
We currently have a 2004 Envoy with a tow package which is really great for towing our Healey when we take a long trip. It's 4 wheel drive and has lots of nice options. However, we're thinking about a Range Rover, a couple of years old. Well, acutally I'm thinking - haven't shared my thoughts yet with hubby. All I know is that they look pretty. I know this is a left-field query, but what are your thoughts about a Range Rover and what can we expect to pay? Just thinking...

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Rovers are nice, but very expensive in maintenance costs. Figure 3X what the Envoy costs in repairs. The newer the more of a dealer fix rather than independent shops. On the other hand, some have gone a long way without frequent visits to the shop. But, maintenance is the key, must follow schedule or face the loss of $$. Not many aftermarket places for items as the older Rovers, but improving yearly. Do not know the impact of the new owners TATA yet.

richardjbondy

Freshman Member
I purchased a new 2005 Land Rover LR3 in late 2004. I now have @ 60,000 miles on it. The operational costs have not been any greater than a Ford Explorer. I have a car trailer that has an empty weight 2,000 pounds. I've pulled everything from Jaguars to a front loader Ford Tractor on it. By far it is the best tow vehicle I've ever experienced. The air suspension can't be beat for a great ride. If this one every expires I'll replace it with the same product. The dealer service under both Ford and Tata has exceeded my expectations.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
He doesn't mention year of Range. Range Sport and LR3 share same chassis. My 89 RRC pulled great and I think had more positive road feel than my 96 Disco or the 96 Range 4.6. But, the Disco and Range both pull 5500lbs. with no problems. Range is by far the most comfortable. But be warned, if troubles develop out of warranty costs are there.

OP
judow

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
:thankyousign: Looked at a 2006 Range Roger Sport Series HSE. It sure is pretty! 30,000 miles on it and it appears to this eye to be in very good shape. Felt the price was a tad too high and left the dealership with if you find you can do better on the price, please call me. I/we aren't in any hurry to do anything. I am really thinking more toward Fall before purchasing. I appreciate your input!

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My wife is in love with the Rover Sport. Her DD is the Disco 1. I found one in St. Louis on Craigslist for $15K, but no mileage posted and it was all white. I'm apprehensive about buying a newer LR because of the diagnostics from the BECM electronics still need dealer hook-up. Besides the price of replacement parts. She looked at the Toyota FJ Cruiser and found it pretty comfortable, but still too high price for what it is.