• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New race engine pictures

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Here are a few pictures of my new 1275 race engine for the Bugeye. Cam, Tilton flywheel/clutch, 1.5 inch modified SU's, Had a Avonbar head-reworked, Intake..and everything has been balanced. Tucker at Autosport in Bloomington did the work. I hope that when the economy turns around to get the 948 off to Hap for a rework as I want to run it as well.

We install the engine this Friday and next week, I am off to a track day to tune her and shake her down before my first event of the year with VSCDA at Gingerman. Man, I am looking foreward to Mid-Ohio and Road America this year!

I run 4:22 gears and a Taylor race box and Superlite wheels...(Thanks Hap!) but I figure for Road America I will put my 3:9 gears in the rear.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3644/3424653958_0634d6529d.jpg?v=0

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/3227226582_8c7317d784_m.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/3227227428_0c2f014ca2_m.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/3226374149_12b27b8022.jpg?v=0

Come on warm weather...

Velo.

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Velo, looking good. Are you planning on running VSCDA at RA and Blackhawk? If so, I'll try to stop by and say hello. I always ran a 4.22 at RA in the 948 HP Sprite with webster box and a redline of 8500. A 4.22 with the 1275 Full prep FP Sprite (8500 redline) with SC/CR box and a 3.9 with the 1275 limited prep HP setup (7500 redline). Run the 3.9 to keep the revs down, motors are expensive and RA is lllooonnnngggg!

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Hey Hedgehog,
Thanks! Yes, I will run all the VSCDA events and SVRA at Mid-Ohio, and the Kohler race at RA in July. I will also hit the VSCDA ELF at RA in September again! Stop by...At Blackhawk, I pit outside of turn 4 and camp there as well...I'll buy the first round! I ran my 948 to 8,000 at Hallett in the fall...now the new 1275 will probably keep to 7,200. I think the 3.8 for RA would work with those long straights...What will you bring to race the Mini?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hopefully I will see you at the SVRA Mid-Ohio event. That will be my first time there and I wonder if someone can give me a recommendation re final drive ratio relative to Summit Point or VIR?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Wow! Nice motor!

I too am building a new 1275 (for my racing Teapot), but for this year, it'll be an all-stock (and non-balanced) rebuild. I'll be happy with 65 HP and a redline of 6300.
I don't want my Austin to be too undignified. :jester:

Once the A35 is fully sorted out, I'll go back and try to build something more like your's.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Now</span> I have something to aspire to.

Michael: I have never driven at Mid-Ohio either, but when I looked at it, it seems a "mix" of fast and slow. If they use the long course (with the Turn 3 kink between two straights), you'll probably need the 3.9.....but that's just my guess).

~Here's~ a little discussion of the place by Hurley Haywood.

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
I drove the track with SVRA last year..although in some rain! I had the 4:22 gears and a high HP 948 engine and hit my self imposed rev limit at that time of 7000 rpm a bunch on the long, downhill backstraight!

This year, with the 1275 and more RPM, I will still run the 4:22. Go to youtube and look for my videos under velodrome...I have 2 or 3 from Mid-Ohio,

Thanks for the compliments...I will post more pictures when we get it installed. Perhaps even a video from the test in a week. I could not have brought this race car without all the help from the people on this forum!

Velo

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Velo, due to life and 2 kids in college it's not looking like the Mini will hit the track this year. I've still got a considerable amount of work/fab to do. Engine is built, dogbox trans is about ready to go together, but tons of body and suspension work to do yet.

Your benefit in this is when I don't have a car to race, I work corners so you can. I'll definitely be at the Kohler weekend at RA and the VSCDA vintage festival weekend at Blackhawk. You can buy the first one. I'll bring some Spotted Cow and Leinie's for you.

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
You are on!

Thanks for working corners too!

Velo

Doug, a 4.22 with the 1275 will be the right gear for MO. You're going to love the 1275, the torque increase is what you'll love the most over the 948. After year of racing a MGB and Spridgets with 1275s, the first time I drove a race prepared 948, mind this was Huffaker dry sump 948, with the best of the best stuff in it, like a $13K engine, my first impression was why the heck would anybody spend so much money on something for so little return, that thing had the torque of wet noodle :smile:

Hey is that flywheel, the Huffaker/Tilton steel unit I told you guys about.

OP
VelodromeRacer

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
Hap..Yes that is the unit..nice huh?

Here are a few more pictures as we have the engine in the car. Final touches tomorrow!

Engine photo1

photo2

paulgraham

Freshman Member
beautiful photos velodrome. how did it all turn out?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hap--

I plan to run the SVRA event at Mid-Ohio this June. I have never been there before and wonder about gearing. Can you compare gearing what you would use at VIR so I can have a point of comparison?

Michael Oritt said:
Hap--

I plan to run the SVRA event at Mid-Ohio this June. I have never been there before and wonder about gearing. Can you compare gearing what you would use at VIR so I can have a point of comparison?

Well I don't know if it will be of help to you, since I was drivng a 1275 Midget, but I know your car has the same basic rear end, but the B series motor, I ran 3.9s at VIR and 4.22 at MO. You'll like MO, it's interesting track, lot of combination corners, not a lot of high percentage passing zones (basicly the ends of the two long straights), but a real interesting track.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hap--

That is most helpful and since I run a 4.2 at VIr I will try a 4.6 at MO.

I'm planning to be at the Gold Cups--perhaps I will see you there.

Deluxetuck

Freshman Member
Michael,
I ran my Elva Courier there last year with a 4.22.-1 and it was way to low. This year I will run my 3.9. The straightaway is downhill, so you gain momentum rather quickly. Send me an email if I can help you some more.
Tucker

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi Tucker--

What tires were you using? I have 15" wheels and use 500-15 Dunlop 204's with a diameter of around 26".

A 4.2 works for me on courses with fairly long straights such as VIR, Sebring, Summit Point, etc. I tried a 3.9 at Sebring once and never got up near top revs.

I look forward to seeing you at MO.

Deluxetuck

Freshman Member
Michael,
I just went to my trailer and measured my wheel tire combo. I'm running 13"X6" Super Lites, a Panosonic light weight copy with Hoosier Street TD's (?). The overall diameter is 22 1/2". I can see where your 4.22 would be a tall gear, probably right for MO. There were Centerlines on the car when I bought it and I kept the same size so I wouldn't have to change all of the suspension components. I hope I can get the car done in time, which right now looks close. I'm still waiting on the machinist to get my block done. I've got my fingers crossed. Be in touch.
Tucker

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Tucker--

Based on what Hap said I figured a 4.5 would be right for my car at MO. In any case I hope you make good progress.