• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Opportunity

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK, folks: I was contacted recently about a partially restored '74 (I believe) TR6. Short version of the story:

Soldier bought it and drove it for a short while, then started tearing it down. Stripped the body down to bare metal and had a decent, though not original, metallic dark green paint job done locally. Refreshed the engine, but I'm not sure to what extent he took that. I did notice new motor mounts, and looks as though the suspension has been reworked. It's all there, and even though it is in a poorly-lit basement, it looks like he did a nice job, as far as he got with it. Basically, it will need the windshield installed, new tires, probably a re-do of the hydraulics, carpet, interior finished, cooling system flushed (dry now), etc., etc. There is a new wood dash installed; gauges are in place, though I'm not sure about the wiring. The tires are nearly flat, and I hope to air them up later in the week and push it outside for a better look at everything.

It's been sitting right where it is ever since he was deployed to Iraq, where he was killed in action in 2003. Some of his buddies did install the engine and transmission after his death, but otherwise nothing further was done. His widow is now ready to let go of it and move on. I've thought about grabbing it myself, however, it's not the right time for another project, so I told her I would help with the sale. From my perspective, it will make someone a very nice TR6, and she said that her husband would want it to go to someone who will finish and enjoy it; not flip it.

She has lots of pictures of the car in various stages, and I will have a CD of them later this week. Will also post this in the Classified section when I have the photos.

If you're TRULY interested, contact me by PM.

Mickey

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 20pt"> SOLD! </span>

Details to follow...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You <span style="color: #FF0000">DIDN'T</span>!?!?!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
You <span style="color: #FF0000">DIDN'T</span>!?!?!

Nope.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
But you should of!

Yeah, I know! Wasn't for lack of trying!

Just don't have a place for it, and the timing isn't right.

In the words of a former president, "Wouldn't be prudent!"

But I should have, indeed! One of our own will be getting a great car and then some.

Stay tuned...

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Haven't forgotten this. Don't touch that dial... :wink:

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK - here's the deal:

BCF member Dennis has just taken possession of the 6. Drove down from NY, and with the help of a couple of neighbors, we loaded her up on the trailer this morning. Had a great lunch with him and Allison, the aforementioned widow, before sending Dennis back to NY.

The work done on this car was very nicely done. Engine rebuilt, complete with machine work. Body stripped to bare metal, and NO RUST anywhere! Gaps are all even and uniform. Etc, etc. Dennis has a very nice project to complete.

Bill was the previous owner. His story is one for the books, and was featured on a "60 Minutes" episode a few years ago. Shortened version here - click on the video:
https://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/07/27/60II/main632118.shtml

And here are a few pictures - Dennis is on the left, Allison next, and the two helpers (forgot their names!)

PICT0238.jpg

PICT0237.jpg

PICT0239.jpg

26jan02paintshop4.jpg

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
Hope the car is well treated given it's prior owner.

No question in my mind that it will be!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks for the update Mickey. It's so great to hear that the car will be going to a good owner who will treat it with the the care Bill would have no doubt given it.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That car needs a plaque put on it to honour him and his efforts.

bugimike

Yoda
Wow! Should've stopped, !! Sorry I missed it...Would've, should've, could've! So close, yet so far! Ah well, tempus fugit! :rolleyes:
It has been a VERY long weekend as it was anyway! :crazy:

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
A co-worker of mine lost her husband to cancer. He was into Alphas and had several, including one in restoration. She held onto the cars for quite awhile before selling them. A sad situation no matter how you die.

From the looks of that six, he enjoyed the car, and if I am right, and the color is Mallard Blue, a good choice in color. A good choice in color even if not Mallard blue.

A story that has helped me.

_inL-4k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Dennis

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Mickey!

The car made it back perfectly! The best part was having sun the whole way back. But of course being two toned myself now, red on top of the arms and white on the bottom, silly car tans... I had missed the rain in NY by 40 minutes, so talk about timing! I'm glad someone else mentioned it as well, I was thinking that something needs to be done to the car specifically for Bill and I do like the plaque idea given. Of course the naming of the car will have to be done at some point, again with something to honor him...

It was a real pleasure to meet you and Allison. Some how when I saw that TR8 pull up, there was no mistaking who would be driving it! Who else would show up in a Triumph! The timing was perfect, I had just gotten there myself. That TR8 is beautiful by the way... Having lunch with the two of you was awesome! The look on her face as we were getting ready to leave tugged on the heart strings. It wasn't an easy thing for her to do. I don't feel that the car will ever really be mine under the circumstances but I'm okay with that. More motivation to do things right on it.

Our attempted protection of the new dash blew off before the first 100 miles, I just couldn't keep anything there. I knew I should have turned around and gotten that duct tape before I left NY... Never leave home without it... Fortunately there wasn't a need to protect it but I should have been prepared! It did get quite a few looks, thumbs up sign, and comments on the way back! Of course I could have lived without the toot of the semi's air horn as I passed, almost a big eyes and brown shorts moment. But I could see the smile and thumbs up in the mirror. But the best comment was during one of the gas stops when a kid kept walking around it and said it was a cool looking car then asked what it was. Who knows, maybe a future Triumph owner! Get them out and be seen!

Tonight I'll take inventory of all the boxes to see what I have. Then tomorrow I'll be going over the car and start writing up a list of things that need to be done. I do love the fact it's only cleanup and reassembly work! It will be done carefully and properly, nothing will be left to chance with it! I need to finish it exactly as Bill would have done making it safe, reliable and beautiful! I do love the shade of green he had it painted, just need to find that paint code!! My spit might look good wearing it too instead of maple brown!

No doubt there will be a few questions posted during the reassembly as I didn't see how it came apart. But that's going to be the fun part! Sorry for the long winded post but I feel like a kid at Christmas! And again, thank you Mickey for setting eveything up!

Dennis