• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Out with the old, in with the older

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Just thought I'd make a quick post on my latest change of plans. A few months ago I bought a pair of Hurricane Ike TR3As . Lots of fun, but they were pretty worn out before the hurricane hit them. So 2 weeks ago, an opportunity presented itself to get a 59 TR3A project. In one day, I wound up buying the 59, and selling the two Ike victims. I think I did more daily sales than Standard Triumph!

Here's a quick snapshot of the incoming new (yellow) and one of the outgoing old. The old red one I believe is actually a 3B - but without commission plates unfortunately and with a blown engine. The yellow car needs work obviously (color change comes to mind), but it has a characteristic the other red cars didn't have - sheet metal is still good! Hopefully I'll make actual progress on this one.

Randy

IMG_0454Small.jpg

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
TR4nut said:
...The old red one I believe is actually a 3B - but without commission plates unfortunately and with a blown engine....
Too bad about the commission plate. Any sign of body number plate(s) above the battery box? If so, a 3B would have only one plate, and it would have a TSF number on it (whether early TSF or later TCF series commission number).

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Andy-

That's one of the other clues. Holes for only one body plate, smooth letters on the front cowl, emergency brake has a push on cover (like a 4) not a threaded cover, and engine has number TCF 576E. Engine also has a hole on either side of the block where it appears the crank and maybe one piston exited hastily. Drivers side seat also has the later style lever with the bakelite knob.

Randy

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The yellow car needs work obviously (color change comes to mind)[/QUOTE]

It's hard to tell from a photo, but on my screen the yellow looks something like the period pale yellow. I always thought that a lovely TR3 color.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I think that yellow looks good on any Triumph! Just my humble, albeit prejudiced opinion.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Good move Randy. The project suddenly becomes less overwhelming! Keep us up to date on all of it.

Tinkerman

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
To clarify on the color comment - I happen to like yellow, especially on TR6's.. But in the case of this car, the yellow is definitely non-standard, and is somewhere between the period correct 'Pale Yellow' and the hot-roddy 'Mimosa'. I ordered the heritage info on the car so will wait to see what it was originally and will decide then.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'M A GREEN MAN, BUT THAT YELLOW IS AWESOME!

Country flag
Gotta say, I'm liking the yellow too.....can you take a couple of pics outside in the sun? Flourescent lights can alter colors like yellow in pics.... :smile:

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
mine started out yellow!

TR623.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good move going <span style="color: #33CC00">GREEN</span>

roofman

Jedi Knight
Boy you've moved more iron than me. I sold my TR6 last spring, bought a Mini, sold it at Christmas, bought a 75 Spitfire, then an 80 Spitfire, sold the 75 Spitfire, and kept the 80 ( for now). 4 cars in 1 year for me. We should start a used car lot.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'm confused... exactly how many (parts) TRs do you now have? And how many complete cars can you make from what you have?

I can't wait to see them (in another week) but I'm a little dissappointed that I missed seeing the other hurricane victims.

Is the garage getting more or less cleared out?

Jer

OP
TR4nut

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Well, Jerry I confess to a little confusion myself!

Before I sold the Ike twins, I guess you could argue I briefly owned 6.5 TRs: the yellow 59, the twins, 2 TR4s, and about 1.5 TR3s completely in pieces in a storage unit. And then I realized maybe I have a problem! So out with the twins, and eventually the spare pieces will be gone as soon as I make sure the 59 doesn't need something. Then maybe someday I'll part with the project TR4, and get down to 2 TRs but I doubt it!

Here's a couple more pics of the car in the driveway, I don't think its an original color (definitely was resprayed) - and I confess its just a little too yellow for my tastes for a 3A. Will probably get swayed by the heritage certificate.

Hope to see you at our junkyard in a week - make sure you talk to me if you are missing bits for your own survivor.

Randy
IMG_0457Medium.jpg

IMG_0456Medium.jpg

Country flag
Yep, I could totally live with that yellow.....certainly long enough to get the car sorted out.... :smile: