• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RAF truck? What is it?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Saw this on the net and was wondering what make it is? Looks like WWII vintage. Supposedly belonged to the Royal Air Force. Anybody have any clues?

malty094.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've been trying to figure out and am wondering if it might be a Ford? I looked at pics of Morris/ Austin/ Commer/ Bedford and the ones that had a similar shape had horizontal slats on their grilles

cool truck though

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well it could be a Ford except for the grille. That's just entirely wrong.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:winner1:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great detective work! :cheers:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Standard Flying 8 huh. I knew there would be some of you guys out there who could figure it out! I just spotted it by accident and thought it interesting.

vanguardslive

Freshman Member
Actually it is NOT a Flying 8 but a STANDARD FLYING 14. These were built as a variety of vehicles. Pre war they were saloons, but at the outset of the war they were built as Estate Utility Vehicles, mainly for Forces Officer use, as Vans (as per the photo), and as Pick Ups. The Utility Vehicles also pulled Gwynne Fire Pumps for fire fighting, (this was powered by a Standard 8 engine).
The same chassis was used for the Beaverette which was a lightly armoured vehicle used by the Home Guard, and also by the RAF for airfield defence.
The Standard chassis and engines were extremely robust and were used by SS Motors (Later to become Jaguar) in their vehicles from 1932 to 1948.
If anyone else has any queries about STANDARDS, a very famous marque until 1963, then please post the questions here and we (press office and myself) will do our best to answer you.
Regards vanguardslive.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
vanguardslive said:
Actually it is NOT a Flying 8 but a STANDARD FLYING 14. These were built as a variety of vehicles. Pre war they were saloons, but at the outset of the war they were built as Estate Utility Vehicles, mainly for Forces Officer use, as Vans (as per the photo), and as Pick Ups. The Utility Vehicles also pulled Gwynne Fire Pumps for fire fighting, (this was powered by a Standard 8 engine).
The same chassis was used for the Beaverette which was a lightly armoured vehicle used by the Home Guard, and also by the RAF for airfield defence.
The Standard chassis and engines were extremely robust and were used by SS Motors (Later to become Jaguar) in their vehicles from 1932 to 1948.
If anyone else has any queries about STANDARDS, a very famous marque until 1963, then please post the questions here and we (press office and myself) will do our best to answer you.
Regards vanguardslive.

Sounds like this vehicle had quite a background, especially during the war. Glad I saw it. It would be interesting to know some of the stories surrounding it. Thanks for the reply.
happy0034-1.gif
PJ

vanguardslive

Freshman Member
Standard 14. The 14hp and 12hp were used as Utility vehicles from 1939. Many chassis and engines were sent to commonwealth Countries like Australia and New Zealand for local bodies to be fitted. Mainly for officer transport in woody estate type, they ended up doing all types of duties in pick up, and van guises. There were many in Singapore, Cyprus, Eqypt and Malta.
The Czech Resistance also had a supply sent over, including the Beaverette light armoured vehicle mentioned. A Standard owner in Czechoslavakia is currently restoring a 14 and hopes to recreate a Beaverette in Resistance markings.
A few Standard 8's were also used, as were just about any vehicle which were commandeered for military service.
As a spin off, after the war the STANDARD VANGUARD (Named after HMS VANGUARD) became the chosen staff car for all 3 services, and in Pick Up version as an air crew transport. Again these were sent worldwide and many were bodied in Australia, or made up from Knock Down Kits,with an assembly plant being constructed, and the Vanguard became the best selling car in Australia for many years, outselling the home built Holden.Today the Vanguard is much admired in Australia, as it is here in the UK.
Regards Vanguardslive.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
vanguardslive said:
The Czech Resistance also had a supply sent over, including the Beaverette light armoured vehicle mentioned. A Standard owner in Czechoslavakia is currently restoring a 14 and hopes to recreate a Beaverette in Resistance markings.

Just to be clear, this should read:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The Czech<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">oslovak</span></span> Resistance also had a supply sent over, including the Beaverette light armoured vehicle mentioned. A Standard owner in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">The Czech {or Slovak} Republic</span></span> is currently restoring a 14 and hopes to recreate a Beaverette in Resistance markings.[/QUOTE]

As you can tell my wife is Slovak, and I just spent last week in rural eastern Slovakia for family holiday. By the way, when I told her the western allies had liberated Prague in WWII, she was shocked. She said they were taught in school that the Russians liberated Czechoslovakia....

:banana:

WA1KWA

Jedi Trainee
Prague was "liberated" by the Soviets due to prior agreement at Yalta. GSP was in Pilsen, ready, but Ike reined him in due to the Yalta agreement & told him to stay put.

Colin

vanguardslive

Freshman Member
Thanks for the corrections. Yes it was sad that so many Czech people were based in the UK one way or another helping fight, and then finding the Russians taking control. Not surprised that the teaching was altered either, it happened in all USSR controlled countries. The person I mentioned restoring a Beaverette also has a Sherman Tank under restoration,
Ian.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Stig -

Yes, you are right, I forgot about that. I knew GSP had made it to western Czechoslovakia and just incorrectly assumed Prague was part of that... it was Pilsen.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
vanguardslive said:
Thanks for the corrections. Yes it was sad that so many Czech people were based in the UK one way or another helping fight, and then finding the Russians taking control. Not surprised that the teaching was altered either, it happened in all USSR controlled countries. The person I mentioned restoring a Beaverette also has a Sherman Tank under restoration,
Ian.

Ian - Just got back from a visit to Budapest where they have a very interesting museum called the "House of Terror." It is located in a house that was used by the Hungarian Fascist Arrowcross state security during WWII, then by the Communist State Security through the 1950s during the purges, reeducation and then further executions and purges after the 1956 uprising. Incidentally, Raul Wallenburg went through its dungeons in 1946.

The message of all of it is:
1) don't trust anyone who tells you that you need state control of anything to properly serve your nation and
2) the Fascists and the Communists were one and the same.

Country flag
vanguardslive said:
...also has a Sherman Tank under restoration...
And we think LBC parts are hard to come by!! :smile:

vanguardslive

Freshman Member
Hi Healeynut, Very interesting item, we never know what goes on behind the scenes.

I wonder if you have visited the AustinRoverOnline site, it is tremendous and it gives some interesting facts from behind the scenes of the companies involved in Austin, Morris, British Leyland, Standard Truimph, Austin Rover with the Honda tie up and then BMW, through Ford, and now SAIC and TATA of course. Well worth a look in, good section on Austin Healey.
Regards Ian.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Speaking of the Standard Vanguard... There are still a number of them here in Canada, not too many on the road... But we received the Vanguard right through the entire production run here in Canada

Actually here in Calgary there are three Vanguard Phase 1 pickups, they belong to a local British repair garage who plans to restore all three into one, someday... In the meantime eight years later...
grin.gif

4285839_5bd1b5a35f.jpg