• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How much is a 1970 Elan FHC +2 worth?

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
It looks like I have the chance to get a 1970 Yellow Lotus Elan +2 hardtop. It seems to me like it's a good price, but I want the opinion of the "experts" around here to tell me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, it's in good condition, kept garaged. It's the original owner that's selling it and has all the receipts and stuff. The engine was rebuilt recently. There's a few scratches in the fiberglass. It was built in October of 1969. The "VIN" number he had for it is:

50/2086 I203

Does that number mean anything important?

Anyway, I appreciate anyone looking and giving an opinion as to the rough value of the car. Obviously it's hard to say without a good inspection of the car, but I'm just looking for rough numbers in the range.

Thanks!

Hegg

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Condition is very important with these cars. It's extremely important to check the condition of the frame. It's a backbone configuration made from folded sheet metal and they can rust badly. The usual trouble spots are the uprights for the front suspension, especially down near the bottom where they're welded to the main crossmember. Mud can get inside & plug the drain holes.

Working on the rear suspension is no fun on Elans so you should check its condition as well.

Pricewise, they seem to go for $9-$12000 US in very good condition. I've seen decent drivers in the $7000 range.

Some parts are hard to find (headlight switches, for example) but most aren't too bad. There are 3 or 4 major suppliers, all excellent.

The serial number is probably correct. The "50" is the Lotus type number and is usually followed by a 4 digit number.

It's amazing that the original owner still has it - probably a point in its favor.

Can you drive it? You can tell a lot about an Elan simply by driving it.

Good luck on your decision.

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for the information. I appreciate knowing what to look for when I check it out.

How hard is body work to perform on the fiberglass shell? Is it easier than a metal body?

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...How hard is body work to perform on the fiberglass shell? Is it easier than a metal body?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say it's easier overall and figure they're about the same. Others might disagree. Obviously you'll use different materials and tools.

One advantage of fiberglass is that you won't find rust in some hard-to-reach spot. One disadvantage is inability to use the bodywork as a ground - plastic bodied cars always seem to have more electrical problems that metal ones.

Fiberglass can be frustrating in older cars if you feel you need to fix every little spider crack. Elans are likely to have them at hinge mounting points (like the truck lid) and a few other stress points. They're pretty harmless.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
Not to disagrree with John but I find fiberglass far easier than working with metal. Much mnore forgiving - sand and fill.

With minimal practice you can easily find the proper mixture of the resin and hardener so it does not set too fast or too slow. It is messy though. You need rubber gloves and a few throw away paint brushes to apply the resin and press the material in place. Plus empty cans for the resin.

Of course major repairs such as areas that require strength and precision such as door hinges need more care.

Obviously when sanding or lightly grinding down the newly fixed area a face mask is needed. With fiberglass you can bulid up an area and then take it down to correct level. The initial application does not have to be so exact.

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Can anyone send me some links to a few of the good Lotus parts suppliers?

Thanks!

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Just a curiosity -- do all of the Elan +2 cars have the "Colin Chapman" signature on the steering wheel? Was that "standard"?

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...do all of the Elan +2 cars have the "Colin Chapman" signature on the steering wheel? Was that "standard"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know when they started using them but the signature wheels were on most, of not all, later Elans.

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I really really like +2's and have owned them. They are worth very little, half of what a regular elan roadster goes for or less.

My last one was a very pretty Elan +2 S-130 which I sold to Chris Beebe for $5500.00. He drove it from Oregon home to Wisconsin. That was a very good price (for the buyer) but $7500 should buy a very pretty mechanically sound car in ready to drive condition. Unfortunately, they are just as expensive to restore as a roadster, so you can get financially upside down in a hurry if there are a lot of "needs". I could put 4 autocross tires in the trunk with a floor jack and a too box to go autocrossing in mine. (with the trunk floor and spare tire removed).

They are so pretty, and so nice to drive. I think prettier than a roadster. Mine weighed 1800 pounds and change at the local truck scale.

I use JAE in Goleta Cal. for parts as well as those others, and Sports Car World in Texas, have used parts. They are also a hugh 1/32 scale slot car dealer. as "Slot Car World". Same place, different phone lines.

I have a few parts if you get it.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
As an aside to your original question, the +2 FHC is a much more competent Grant Tourer than its convertible sister. Boot space is much greater, and it is a little less "frantic". In fact, my latest issue of Classic & Sportscar (in the "Our Classics" section) says this, and I quote: "the +2 is one of the most underrated sportscars out there".

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. I did obtain the car and can't argue that it is a beautiful car. I've already made dozens of enemies because "I have" and they "have not". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm not sure of all the parts I might be interested in yet, but I'll take you up on that offer (Super 7). It'll be a while before I get it ready to take out on the road, but I'm excited as ever.

The only downside is this means I'll be selling my TR7 soon. However, I can't argue that the +2 is many times cooler than the TR7 (I'm not speaking any evil about the TR7, mind you).

Super 7 -- what type of parts do you have? Just a bunch of this 'n' that? One thing I do need is the letter "S" that goes on the trunk (boot).

Thanks everyone!

Hegg

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I've got a stripped Stromberg head, as mine had been changed over to Weber head when new, a starter solenoid, maybe a starter, definately a high torque gear reduction starter, maybe some A arms, a jack. I will check on what else when I get home this fall.

How about posting some photo's in "Reader's Rides"?

I'm also curious what you paid for it.

I think that they are badly under valued. I just love a Plus 2.

Great ventilation inside, too. I can't imagine a more refined ride in a sub 2000lb car, either.

What wheels do you have?

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Latest Pictures

Take a gander and see what you think. I'm quite excited about it and hope to enjoy many years and many miles in it. My initial plans are to get ti back up and running and taking it to car shows in "original" condition. I bought it from the original owner and have the original sales receipt from England. I'm confident that most everything about the car is original, except that he replaced the generator with an alternator (good move).

Enjoy!

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Oh, and by the way, what is a gear reduction starter? I see 'em in catalogs and stuff, but don't know what good they are. Does it just slow your flywheel down when starting so you have less wear 'n' tear or something?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
It is either from Dave Bean or JAE, I don't remember. It has more torque to the flywheel and spins over better, enpecially if you have a bigger/higher compression motor.

Is there an engine in that car? I like the yellow. Some of the later cars had a silver roof, those looked kind of bad. The solid colar is much prettier.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
It is an early 1970 model then.......(going by the registration) registered in the city of Norwich, in the county of Norfolk. That is over on the far eastern side of England, to the east northeast of London. Sorry I can't give you the street he used to live on or his shoe size from that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Beautiful car by the way. Good find!

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
It is either from Dave Bean or JAE, I don't remember. It has more torque to the flywheel and spins over better, enpecially if you have a bigger/higher compression motor.

Is there an engine in that car? I like the yellow. Some of the later cars had a silver roof, those looked kind of bad. The solid color is much prettier.

OP
Hegg

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
Nope, there's not an engine in the car right now, which is why the front is raised a little (lack of weight). I got the full engine and all parts with the car, so my task is to put it all back together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's gonna be a lot of fun and as I've said, I'm excited! I ain't never getting rid of this car!

Gotta finish my rebuild on my TR7 first though, so I can sell it and get it out of the way. All hail the mighty Lotus!

By the way, would you recommend replacing the stock camshafts with a different one (while I've got the engine accessible)? Or are they fine as they are? And if I did, would it take too much away from originality?

Thanks again! Are you guys the only other two Elan +2 owners? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif