• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Undervalued and overlooked

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Another thread on a Jensen Healey on eBay has started me thinking. It is agreed that the J-H is an absolute bargain considering its pedigree and design, and I was thinking of what other British cars could be considered in the same light. I would nominate the Triumph Stag as being another overlooked classic. Overvalued? I would certainly nominate the Mini........even common or garden varieties are being priced into five figures, for average cars at best. Any other suggestions for both undervalued and overvalued LBCs?

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I'm a fan of English Fords. They are reliable practical and fun to drive. I have autocrossed my '68 Cortina GT fairly extensively, and it has never been beaten by a Triumph or MG, except for once by a rotary powered spitfire. At the Portland ABFM autocross, one of my favorites to run, it has never finished below 4th place in the Mini's either. Mark I Cortina GT's are beginning to get expensive, although there are so few decent ones changing hands that prices are difficult to judge. Top dollar for a MK II GT is around $5000.00

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I am very fond of the Austin America MG 1100 cars. It is kind of a shame that so many have given up their major parts to upgrade Mini's.

I particularly like the Vanden Plas Princess version, except for the automatic. I think I know where a nice one is, and might try to buy it for my daughter's first car. I wish it wasn't right hand drive.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul, if you buy the Austin for your daughter, you would convert it to LH drive, wouldn't you?
RH drive is a bear here in the states. I drove a RH drive Bugeye when I lived in Tucson, and it was a nightmare., (And I had a ton of RH drive experience.)
Jeff

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I agree with Steve on the Stag being underappreciated - I'm not sure they're undervalued because I don't see enough for sale to form an opinion.

Other undervalued (if not overlooked) cars - mostly all Triumphs. I think the Spitfire & GT-6 are not given their due as usable street cars & remain undervalued even though they're loved by many people. Ditto the TR8. It seems everyone who likes them already owns one.

My nomination for the current champs of overlooked LBC's are the Elva Courier and the Morris Minor. Minors are drivable, tunable, and practical. Couriers are light and I have a weakness for fiberglass English cars.

There are several cars I think are "overappreciated" and overpriced but wouldn't dare list them. I think most folks would agree that, unless you're simply a collector or investor, value is only part of the equation anyway.

Steve_S

Yoda
Jeff, I drive a '53 YB around LA and I think it's far more fun than a LHD car. In fact, I've been looking for a RHD BGT as a daily driver! The only problem I run into with the YB is drive-through windows. It's difficult to stretch across the car although the look on the window person's face when I pull up is almost worth the hassle!

There is no practical reason to drive a RHD car in the US, but I like it because it's different and fun.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
As far as undervalued cars, I'd have to say the 1500 Midget (like my racer). They can be bought for under $1000 (USD) and often just have simple problems. Being newer, they usually have less rust than older Spridgets and they are easy to "backdate" to chrome bumpers for the "classic look".

Also, as stated above, Spitfires can still be gotten pretty cheaply.

And, if the "door stop" styling and tin-top doesn't bother you, TR7coupes can be a real good deal (assuming the head isn't warped like a banana).

The 2-seat, Austalian-built, fwd Mercury Capri are sold at give-away prices around here (I think these were only sold in the US and Oz). Nothing to look at, but a real two-seater drop-top with a bullet-proof Mazda engine.

The problem (and alternate) nowdays is "the M word". A decent high-mileage Miata M1 can be bought for $3500 in my area.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
TR7 convertible has to be the most undervalued/overlooked sports car. TR4 is also a great bargain. MGAs recently skyrocketed, but for many years was very much a bargain and overlooked.

Jaguar XKE 2+2s are certainly a bargain, since they can be had for a fraction of the cost of a regular coupe or convertible -- or the later Series III convertibles, which are built on the same platform.

Jensen Interceptor Coupes are very overlooked and undervalued, especially since they have big block Chrysler 440 engines, which are usually worth as much as the amount people pay for the cars.

Up until recently Land Rovers were undervalued. A big push has brought the values up on the early vehicles as of late.

Jensen Healeys are undervalued, but their engines are so finicky -- and the big rubber bumper is a little ungainly.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Undervalued... I think most of you probably know my answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course a British saloon (or a European/import sedan), say a Morris Oxford, Triumph 2000, Rover 2000, the list could go on.

Some of them can be very sporting, and the ones that aren't quite as sporting can be fun in their own way. I wouldn't personally pay much more than $4K for the average British saloon car over here, and most of my friends who are into them would say the same thing. The market demand for them over here is low and probably always will be, you'll probably never lose your shirt on re-sale, you probably won't make any money on one either as I believe most examples will never gain significant value on this side of the pond. Oh yeah... one other plus side? You can fit the whole family in it :thumbsup:

Just passed by a nice looking late-1960's Toyota Crown today (at a local repair shop), probably not for sale, had current plates on it and looked like it was in current use...

Overvalued... can't think of one at this time

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
Most definately the Rovers.....The 2000,s and 3500,s are vastly undervalued. The 2000,s were better engineered than most all cars when introduced and more powerful than most any other Brit sedan ....Car and Driver reported and I quote " if every car on the road was as good as this one, they could raise every speed limit in the country 15 miles per hour "......." absolutely the best sedan that has ever been presented on the pages of this magazine " ......" Driving the 2000TC is so good that it should be reserved for people of taste, breeding and documented automotive enthusiasm" The seats in the cars are beyond reproach for comfort.......OR get the 3500 with a 5 speed.....THEY got it so right, most <font color="blue"> </font> every other Brit car wants to use its engine......Rover got it right yet because most owners neglected their inboard rear brakes, tappet settings and rustproofing these car are overlooked........Get a Rover before everyone catches on and the price goes way up.......BMW .....The ultimate driving machine ...........My rear end.....My Rover 2000TC is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I would not disagree......in fact I was thinking of mentioning the P6 Rovers. I used to own a 1972 3500S, with the manual transmission and boy was that a nice car! Trouble was, the rust had eaten away at the rear driver's side suspension mounting, and it gave way on me. Couldn't afford to get it fixed, but I saved up and with the money I bought an XJ12.

But I digress. The Rover P6, be it a 2000, 2000TC, 2200, or 3500, is a wonderful car, very advanced for its time, roomy, comfortable, quick, and handles very well indeed. I would own another in a heartbeat, but be warned, the outer panels (even the roof) are bolt-on, and it is easy to hide a rust-box under beautiful panels. I know that the hard way. Great cars. Another Rover you should get if you can? The P5B, saloon or coupe. 3.5 litre V8, like a country club on wheels......oh mama!

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...There are several cars I think are "overappreciated" and overpriced but wouldn't dare list them...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll dare list one -- since it is what I drive. I dearly love my TR3A but find the $$$ these change hands for to be on the high side given that you can find a comparable TR4 for less than 1/2 the price.

I drive both and can only conclude it is the classic (funky) styling and the allure(!?) of side curtains that make the '3 more in demand.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Geo,
I agree that the TR4 is undervalued. The TR3 seems to be correctly valued in relation to its contemporaries. You can get a driver for $5,500 or $6,000 and a really nice one for $12,000. That's what a mid-market collector car brings (Camaro, Mustang, smallblock C3 Corvette, MGA, Porsche 911 etc...)

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
Well, I've gotta admit that since the introduction of the MINI, the price of real Minis has gone thru the roof. Cars that you could've bought for $5-6,000 four or five years ago are now priced at $8-10,000. I'm lucky I got mine when I did.

In undervalued cars, I've always been attracted to the Morris Minor......kinda underpowered and quirky, but cute as a bug's ear.

For anybody who agrees with me, there's a Minor Convertable for sale here in the Twin Cities of Mini-Sota:

FOR SALE: 1958 Morris Minor Convertable. New top, new electrical, new brakes. Dual carb 948cc engine runs great! Body good, not restored. A good daily driver and very dependable. Car is located in the Twin Cities. $3000 or best offer. Contact Tom at 952-935-3161 or by Email at: TOOLMAKERPROUT@aol.com .

I haven't seen this car, and I don't know the guy selling it, but if anybody here is really serious about buying it, I could go and check it out and take some pix for you.

racing girl

Jedi Knight
"Undervalued and overlooked" would most definitely apply to the Hillman Imp and the Sunbeam Stilletto. I see Imps in good condition in the owners mag going for just a few hundred pounds, some even say "free to a good home", they don't come much cheaper than that! Fully built up race cars for less than $3000, heck, the engine would set you back more than that!

In a similar vein, and yes I'm biased, I will also nominate the G15, they can be picked up really cheaply in the UK, but conversely, over here in the US we were offered $12,000 on the spot at a car show!, probably the rarity value kicking in. And, yes, the guy was serious... when we told him it absolutely wasn't for sale he offered $15,000! That's at least twice the value of a UK car.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have noticed that cars in the UK go for far less money than here in the US.....even Minis are reasonable still. Now, if only there were an economical way of getting them from there to here.............

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Now, if only there were an economical way of getting them from there to here.............

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve, we should have all chipped in and bought the aircraft carrier that was on eBay awhile back. We could have made a killing on transportation! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed that cars in the UK go for far less money than here in the US.....even Minis are reasonable still. Now, if only there were an economical way of getting them from there to here.............

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve,
It really depends on the car. In the case of the Mini, Cortina or other mass-produced car that was always available in the UK, but not in the US, absolutely true.

But if you look in Thoroughbred and Classic Car or Classic and Sports Car (or any of the great British collector car publications,) you'll see that the mainstream British sports and special interest cars go for much more than in America. MGB, MGA, TR2-TR6, Lotus etc.. all tend to be more expensive, because most of the production came here and stayed here.

For many years it was big business to buy a TR or early MG and throw it into a container and send it back to England. I know guys who would buy $10,000 worth of rusty and mediocre runners and get $20,000 for them from British buyers.

The market isn't so out of whack anymore, but still there's an interesting difference.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I have seen prices for even the rubber bumper MGBs edging up there lately in the UK, but they are, admittedly, for excellent examples. I tend to monitor Practical Classics magazine's classifieds, but I also check my (old) local newspaper's classifieds section, which sometimes makes for interesting reading! I was really referring to the Rovers, Triumph saloons and Minis and such like though. Good point about where most of the production ended up, I hadn't really thought about that much.