• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to the Scene

daddytiger64

I guess I should have introduced myself to the group before this but as you all know…time has a way of slipping by.

My name is Paul and I found this website a couple weeks ago through another forum (I forget which one). Anyways, I live in the Detroit, Michigan metro area and have a Sunbeam Tiger (a couple pictures were put in the Member’s Rides section). In 1981 at a Shelby convention I saw my first Tiger at the end of a long row of Mustangs, I said to myself someday I would own one (22 years later I finally bought one).

Growing up in the Motor City with lots of relatives working for the Big 3 I didn’t have much exposure to British cars (or other foreign cars for that matter) but I do remember as a youth cutting through a neighbor’s yard on my way to school everyday and seeing an Anglia, a Cortina and TR7 on his property.

I have always owned 60s-70s muscle cars as my toys so the Tiger seemed a nature fit to me, however over the years because of a couple of my friends and neighbors who have owned other British cars (MGs, Triumphs, Sunbeams, Lotus, Jaguar, etc…) I have come to respect and enjoy all British vehicles whether they are 4, 6, 8 or 12 cylinders. My knowledge of these cars is rather limited but I hope to learn as I go.

Someday when finances allow I would like to acquire a friend for my Tiger…maybe a Mini or MGB or Lotus or Triumph or Jaguar or ???…so many cars, so little money.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
"...so many cars, so little money."

Amen to that brother /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome (belatedly), it's great to have another of those wonderful little cars on the forum, and I'm glad to see that you would like another LBC. I too would love to own a Tiger, but alas, it may never be. Maybe I can live vicariously through your postings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hi Paul,

Welcome! I think everybody likes these fast Anglo-American classics...and they're still fast, after all these years.
The fastest production-type car in the 2004 Hershey Vintage Hillclimb was a Sunbeam Tiger. Merlin Miller was beaten only by two formula cars (a Super Vee and a Formula Ford) placing him in third overall.

Here's the SWSCC results:

https://www.svvscc.org/2004%20Sunday%20HVH%20Results%20Final.htm

Here's a picture-link of Miller's Tiger at last years Pagoda Hillclimb:

https://www.users.fast.net/~nescca/pagodahillclimb/images/tiger.jpg

So is your's "stock" or what?

Bugeye58

Yoda
Welcome aboard, Paul. I see you have already met "Racing Girl". I'm another one who lives close by, M-59/Milford Rd. area. Probably about 20 miles from you. RG and I frequent the Waterford Hills road race track. Come out and see us.
You managed to hook up with the best British car forum going, bar none!

Jeff

r67cat

Country flag
Welcome, I am sure you will find, as I have, that this sight can be a wealth of knowledge from some real British car enthusiasts. Welcome aboard, Rick

OP
daddytiger64

daddytiger64

[ QUOTE ]
I too would love to own a Tiger, but alas, it may never be. Maybe I can live vicariously through your postings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You never know, like I said it took me 22 years to get one.

If cost is the issue, go off the beaten trail, there are deals out there. There are people out there with MGBs, TR6s, even Minis who are asking more money than I paid for my Tiger. The car was running poorly...85% or so completed by the previous owner, and he just inherited a Miata so he was a motivated seller. A quick carb swap, a couple bucks and some elbow grease and I was on the road.

OP
daddytiger64

daddytiger64

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome aboard, Rick

67 Sunbeam Tiger
67 Corvette 427/435hp conv.
71 XKE OTS
71 MG Midget
74 Corvette
80 MGB

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the welcome Rick, I am sure I can learn a lot here. You need to post pictures of those beautiful car of yours to your website, I saw the Midget but that's it. I can kill many hours looking at cars pictures on the web!

OP
daddytiger64

daddytiger64

[ QUOTE ]
RG and I frequent the Waterford Hills road race track. Come out and see us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,
Thanks for the invitation, let me know when you guys will be out there and I will see what I can do. I would love to come out and watch, I haven't been to Waterford in probably 10 years or so.

OP
daddytiger64

daddytiger64

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Paul,

Welcome! I think everybody likes these fast Anglo-American classics...and they're still fast...So is your's "stock" or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how accurate the speedo is but I did hit just over 135mph the other day on the highway...I don't think the 1974 Porsche 911 who wanted to play knew what to think.

...kids, don't try that at home or on the street...

I guess my car would be called an "or what"...I couldn't afford a stock Tiger and to be honest stock isn't all that important to me. I wanted something I could drive, modify and enjoy. My car has received some upgrades but to the average person it looks pretty stock. The wiring, gauges, wheels/tires, motor and suspension have all been improved upon. Body's pretty much stock but custom hood scoop, nice wood dash and roll bar were added. However I still have the cooling system (runs hot in traffic) and brakes (takes too long to slow down compared to modern cars) to address.

thegoodbeamer

Jedi Warrior
Hi paul.
Welcome to the Sunbeam world and this great forum.I recently sold my 66 Tiger.I still have the th3 64 Lister and the 62 V6 Alpine.The Lister is a clone but has a 351 windsor and many more mods.See www.sunbeamalpine.org and feature back articles.Feb 2001,"The Spirit of Lister".Also Tigers United,technical articles.Last article on front end upgrades is mine.
Isn't the Tiger a blast?I miss my 66 but we are downsizing and still have 3 Sunbeams.I hope to add another to our collection though,It however is still in the works and I hope that this one will be mine soon.Budget will restrict to how much I can pay plus shipping.
Enjoy your Tiger and as I always say every day is sunny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Bugeye58

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the invitation, let me know when you guys will be out there and I will see what I can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, we have an open track day on the 14th, just for giggles. You've got a roll bar in the Tiger, so you can come and play.(Roll bars required in convertibles)
Our next race weekend is Aug. 28th/29th.
Info is at www.waterfordhills.com
Jeff

huck6

Jedi Trainee
PHEW, I thought that I was the only one who flipped back and forth about his/her favorite LBC! So many to chose from ...

OP
daddytiger64

daddytiger64

[ QUOTE ]
...open track day on the 14th, ...next race weekend is Aug. 28th/29th.
Info is at www.waterfordhills.com
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,
I was at the Huckleberry Railroad in Flint on the 14th, but if we are in town for the race weekend I will try to come out...my wife wants to squeeze in a late vacation.

Paul