• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

pics of my project

jeffsu350

Freshman Member
i finally got some of the pics off of my camera, these are just a few, i dont have a pic of the floor cut out, but i will get some before i weld the new floor in

4538kindanew.JPG

4538old1.JPG

4538rightrear.JPG

then the money shot
4538sparks.JPG

Bugeye58

Yoda
Ah, yes. Those pictures bring back many memories. I'll have to dig up a scanner, and send you some of my '67 MkI when it was at that stage.
Ka-Ching!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jeff

Saff

There's just something about a GT6 at any stage of restoration. Good Luck with the project - many smiles are sure to follow!!

V

vagt6

Yep, it's just great to see someone giving and old GT6 such loving care! Someday, when you're done with all that body work, standing over a beautiful, shiny GT6, you'll be glad you did it.

But in the meantime, you'll probably be wondering why you got into this @#$%&! hobby (such thoughts only last for short intervals).

Good work, and good luck with your efforts!

BRIAN TOWNE

Hmmm..... His and hers tobogans... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif The family that tobogans together...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
Hi Jeff,

I've a GT6+ in about the same state as what I see in your pictures - I worked part time at a body shop a few years ago and torn into her fang and claw - When I got the car about to the point you have yours the owner lost his lease - So I've a GT in a basket with a couple grand in brand new parts - as well as a lot of parts which came out of the car which have been completely reconditioned - sitting in my garage.

I have a sprite I'm doing, as James (lbcnut) of this forum called it a "road revival" on - When I have something roadable where I can get my fix perhaps I can work on the GT - Meanwhile, I'm glad to see somebody is making progress on one of the neat and unique little autos. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'll be interested in seeing your floorpan job - I Frankensteined mine in by patternmaking and sheet metal fab - after that a#@whipping I bought replacement panels for the Sprite - Lot easier on the jolly old arthritis eh?

I'll dig around and find some photos of mine when I was grinding away and post them - the similarities are uncanny.

Regards,

Bob Marsh
K'Vegas, NC

pvergon

pardon my ignorance but how do you paste pics on these posts?

screenprinter

Jedi Trainee
pvergon,

sorry for the bum link - go to the main forums listing and go into the first one - "ANNOUNCEMENTS" by the moderator and theres a thread called "Now upload files" and that will show you the thread explaining the procedure.

B

OP
J

jeffsu350

Freshman Member
I would love to see some pics to others projects.

I am stuck right now with how to seal the bare metal before I weld the floor pan in. I have the replacement floor pans, and I left some extra of the old floor pan that I cleaned up with a wire brush.

I want to keep some extra to ensure a good weld, but that metal needs to be sealed in some way, does anyone know of any good product so that my floor won't eventually fall out?

philman

Jedi Knight
gt6 is my ssecond favorite triumph body style (I like wedgies -- MR2 MKI's also)

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jeff, I'm a little unsure of your question, but I think if I'm reading you right, you are looking for a way to prevent corrosion in the areas you have cleaned and prepped for welding. There are a number of products available, all of them a "High Zinc" content. If you are spot welding the new panels in, as the factory did, all you have to do is coat the overlapped areas with this primer, and weld. I would advise you to use the brushable form of this, as the spray can versions rarely work. The zinc powder that is held in suspension in a spray can generally settles out, and when you try to use it, no matter how hard you shake the can, the zinc plugs the pickup tube, and you just sit there with a useless can of paint.
Using the "brush on" version, you can thoroughly coat both sides of the panels, and weld to your hearts content. The zinc conducts the electricity to the weld and the primer that is unaffected by welding serves as its own anti-corrosion barrier.
Jeff

OP
J

jeffsu350

Freshman Member
bugeye58 - that is exactly what I am looking for. Do you have any sugestions as to a product name. I don't know what to even ask if calling a supplier. I guess even the type of product for example if i wanted to paint calipers, the paint is called caliper paint but a brand is G2, any help I appreicate.

--Jeff