• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

2005 Mini Cooper

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Hi all,

I am usually in the Triumph and MG worlds. But, I need help. My wife wants to join the LBC club and has found a friend selling a 2005 Mini with the sports package and low miles.

If it were a TR3 or MGA I would be comfortable but I can't spell Coooper - see.

Help, and thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There are a lot of people in our club that are "not excited" about people bringing new Minis to the events.

V

vagt6

Strange that LBC clubs would prohibit membership to MINI owners, but they are private clubs so each to his/her own. If they do not, and still call themselves "British Car Clubs", maybe they should change the name to "Antique British Car Clubs"! :lol:

Just my humble tuppence worth, YMMV.

Depends on the folks who make the rules in each club. I belong to the Shenandoah Valley (VA) British Car Club and we <span style="text-decoration: underline">welcome</span> MINI owners. We even have a class for MINIs at our annual Fall LBC car show and some very nice modern (BMW) MINIs show and win awards in their respective class.

Many clubs have been compelled to admit MINI owners because of declining membership. It seems a very good idea to do so, but if the club's focus is upon antiques, so be it, I guess.

V

vagt6

Tullamore said:
There are a lot of people in our club that are "not excited" about people bringing new Minis to the events.

Seems to me that if the Club's Board and bylaws permit MINI owners (or other marques) to participate, then members who do not make such folks welcome may be considered counterproductive, or even snobs. Such folks give us all a bad name and drive away potential members, and thus potential future leaders of the organization.

Sorry to hear about that, Steve. I think such (boorish) behavior is worth discussion at the next Board meeting. Root it out, bring the discussion (and the fops who perpetuate it) out into the sunshine. Then, see what happens . . .

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We have been battling with the club on many things, the "older" members don't seem to care/want the club to expand to any new members and there are more them than us enthusiastic youngsters. I see those that want only old cars, others that consider the MINI a BMW (aka German), and those that could care less what you showed up in as long as you showed up.

Personally I have to admit it is a lot of fun when you are driving around with similar cars, its not something you get to do everyday and if I see a MINI in front of me instead of a Triumph it kind of ruins the feeling and I think they felt the same way about me when I brought my new Lotus to a LBC cruise.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Here in the St. Louis area, we have an old Mini club and a new MINI club. They are interactive, not extremely, but do interact. Within the new MINI club they too have their classes of Standard and S and JCW and Convertibles. MINIs were first built in England under the supervision of BMW, now they can be built in England or Germany. Both clubs participate in the area British and European shows, strongly I might add.
What I don't understand is why an LBC club would be against or snobby against the new MINI coming to their event. It would have a class of it's own. Let them come, show them how to detail, and maintain their car and see if you can keep them interested long term for the club and for the marque, just to see them reach classic status.
What are the kids of today to think, if they are in the families of either, just old classic British cars or new possible classics, when they grow up.
These clubs must remember there is a future and the future depends on the next generations to show and enjoy cars. Just think, shun them now and when the older generation of people disappear, the youngsters might not buy the older cars, which will then disappear.
As the saying: "Can't we all just get along?" Applies to car clubs too!

OP
S

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
I had no idea that this conversation would wander this way...

My wife is the type to be classified a joiner. She wants the Mini to have something cute and something to discuss with yours truly...

I am a recoverying Ford Mustang guy and find LBC's to be cool and the people to be unbeatable. I would not show the wife's car but would not exclude those who want to bring their Mini out to a show. I have experience with Mustang guys thinking they have the best model. ICK. I care for the club mentality of inclusion and dislike exclusion in car circles.

There are going to be snobs in every hobby or addiction!

My question has still gone unanswered. What do you think about a 2005 S and what should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Cheers,

V

vagt6

I have a 2005 S that I purchased new. It is one of the best cars I've ever owned, absolutely no problems whatsoever, and a thrill to drive.

The main thing you might look for is a warranty. If there's a factory or aftermarket warranty, this is your insurance against major problems and expense for repairs. You don't want to pay for a knackered supercharger or its peripherals, very costly. The Getrag 6 speed gearbox is also a relatively pricey item to replace.

However, unless the car has been unduly thrashed and neglected the mechanicals are essentially bulletproof. Electricals, drivetrain, braking, etc., are high quality and will last a long time if the car has been cared for properly.

Ask the owner for receipts for any major work or replaced parts. Hopefully, the owner may also have documentation of required periodic maintenance. If the factory-required maintenance from the MINI dealer(i.e., at 5k, 20K, etc.) has not been performed, beware.

Otherwise, perform a normal, pre-purchase checklist on the car. The engine should purr as smooth as silk with no hiccups even on the coldest days. The six speed gearbox is exceptionally smooth and practically shifts by itself. Regarding the suspension, expect a stiff ride, after all it is an "S" model. You should experience no wheel hop or rattles of any kind.

Overall, expect a very solid, <span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span> agile car with no anomalies. Don't settle for less.

Good luck, let us know . . .

dklawson

Yoda
SteveTR said:
My question has still gone unanswered.

Which is why I had not posted, I don't know anything about the new MINI. However, it looks like Mark has given you some good information and advice.

If your wife does get the car, she really should consider showing it. I'm not a car club kind of person, but I do attend the local show and enjoy the sense of community that it promotes.

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a 2006 S and I Love it. I think the reliability is right up there with any BMW (take that any way you want). There is an extremely active Forum that I only go to when I have questions or worries.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/

Our local club does a lot of driving and we usually drive a Healey but occasionally the weather favors the MINI and we won't be the only one. We also have a small British Cars an Coffee event where there is almost always a MINI or 2 as well as a couple of classic Minis.

I agree with everything that Mark said. The MINI is probably the most all-around fun car to drive that I have had in a lot of years of driving.

Go for it.

Marv J

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Sorry about the rant on the shows, kind of got carried away, been there done that. OK, 2005 MINI S! I have a 2003 S with 63,000mi. Only been touched by the dealer on first service and 2 recalls ( done at one time, fuel electrics and pvc hose). Starting at 400 mi. I ran some 16 Road Rallyes (SCCA), a full year of Solo + 3 times (SCCA), 2 Phil Wicks driving academys, 1 time trial (SCCA), 4 PDXs (SCCA). Redline works as does the limiters. Do all my own servicing at twice the dealer intervals. Replaced brakes ( upgrade ) to drill and slotted rotors and EBC pads and stainless lines at 40K. Change tranny fluid every 20K, oil 4-5K, antifreeze every other year. Have an air induction kit and modified high electric coil and magnacor wires. Changed tyres first 20K, second on 45K (non runflats). The only problem now is the steering angle sensor ( probably wore it out from solo ). Replaced the original battery 800CCA( still on full charge ) with Optima 1000CA. No problem with small electrics ( windows, wipers, etc.). Very dependable and have driven daily for a year and a half, went to Fla. ( 750mi ) 3 times and to PA ( 735mi) once. Average 25mpg around the area ( within 20 miles) and up to 33mpg on the highway on trips. Hope this helps.

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
SteveTR said:

You asked what we thought of the MINI and I was just trying to point out that if you wife wants to join the LBC club there is a chance she won't feel as much a part of the club as if she bought a TR3 or MGA.

V

vagt6

Tullamore said:
SteveTR said:

You asked what we thought of the MINI and I was just trying to point out that if you wife wants to join the LBC club there is a chance she won't feel as much a part of the club as if she bought a TR3 or MGA.

That may not be the case. Many LBC clubs actually have members that are polite and cordial to all fellow members. I don't think it's the norm that LBC clubs, in general, tend to shun members who do not own a certain "accepted" kind of car. I would never assume such, in any case.

LBC clubs are an excellent, proven way to interact socially with people who have a great deal in common (i.e., love of Brit cars). Join your local club, be active, and enjoy. You'll be glad you did! :yesnod:

dklawson

Yoda
We have no local Mini club in my area. The local MG club welcomes other marques and I've considered joining them as I know several of their members.

Regardless, the MINI and Mini are often welcomed by clubs (like my local MG club) but they are in different classes. Technologically there are obviously a lot of differences between the cars. Think of the Mini/MINI class separation as similar to the treatment early and late MGs receive at shows. The chrome bumper cars are typically classed differently than those with rubber bumpers but both are clearly welcome.

SmartB

Freshman Member
As the owner of a 1968 Riley Elf, I have to explain quite often to people who ask me "What kind of car is that?" When I tell them that it is a variant of the Mini, I have had the frequent response of "I didn't know they made Minis that long ago." I think that what causes some Mini owners to shake their heads at MINI owners is that same lack of knowledge about the Mini and its long history. I have been at events with classes for both old Minis and new MINIs, and have seen folks drive in and prop the hood open on their MINI to show off all of their silicon and billet doodads, then wander over to the Minis and ask "What kind of car is that?" I look at it as an opportunity to educate someone on the long history of change that has led up to the car that BMW has built on the foundation of 50 years of Austin, Morris, Leyland, Rover and BMC Minis (Riley and Wolseley too). When I drive my car, I'm always looking for other drivers who know what they are driving and recognize another unique vehicle with a thumbs up when you pull up beside them. Most of the MINIs I pull up next to are being driven by someone yakking on their cellphone who don't even look around when you try to get their attention. All that being said, if the owner of a new MINI has enough knowledge of their car to know that it's built in the UK (albeit by a German company) then by all means, they're welcome to join our British Car Club.

Kensai

SmartB said:
As the owner of a 1968 Riley Elf, I have to explain quite often to people who ask me "What kind of car is that?" When I tell them that it is a variant of the Mini, I have had the frequent response of "I didn't know they made Minis that long ago." I think that what causes some Mini owners to shake their heads at MINI owners is that same lack of knowledge about the Mini and its long history. I have been at events with classes for both old Minis and new MINIs, and have seen folks drive in and prop the hood open on their MINI to show off all of their silicon and billet doodads, then wander over to the Minis and ask "What kind of car is that?" I look at it as an opportunity to educate someone on the long history of change that has led up to the car that BMW has built on the foundation of 50 years of Austin, Morris, Leyland, Rover and BMC Minis (Riley and Wolseley too). When I drive my car, I'm always looking for other drivers who know what they are driving and recognize another unique vehicle with a thumbs up when you pull up beside them. Most of the MINIs I pull up next to are being driven by someone yakking on their cellphone who don't even look around when you try to get their attention. All that being said, if the owner of a new MINI has enough knowledge of their car to know that it's built in the UK (albeit by a German company) then by all means, they're welcome to join our British Car Club.

What always gets me when driving my Elf is when after I've already explained to someone what it is, they insist on calling it a Mini Cooper. Then they usually make the joke of asking me if I want to trade it for their enormous SUV as if I haven't heard that before.

OP
S

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Most people are not as creative or funny as they think they are...

People usually need help in history lessons too.

Nice post.

Cheers,

Steve

JSpears

I have a 2004 and a 2008 MINI Coopers. I like the 2004 better. It is a 5 speed, and it is fun to drive. My 2008 is an automatic (wife requested). I have had a few problems with the 2004, but they were covered under warranty. The passenger window motor needed replacement and the clutch cable bracket broke.

I belong and participated with the St Louis MINI club. Most of the MINI owners are fanatics about their car. You will never see two MINI's that are the same. Each owner thinks their car is the best. MINI will have events that you can participate in. In 2006 I participated in "MINI Takes the States" This was a road trip from California to New Jersey. I only drove one leg of the tour. We drove from St Louis to Indianapolis with 180 other MINIs. I was fun driving across Illinois on I-70 serpentining through traffic. Once we were in Indianapolis, they fed us, and let us take a tour of the track. I don't think you can go wrong with a MINI.

Jim

2008 MINI
2004 MINI
1960 TR3

OP
S

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks Jim,

I too have a TR3.

Cheers,

Steve

priestess

Freshman Member
Hi all,
I'm trying to buy 2005 Mini and I'm still looking for the best option. I've read some articles about North Ireland used cars being much cheaper then brithish. I've searched several sites and in the prices of used cars really seem to be lower in nothern ireland. (you can compare ie. here https://www.ulstercars.co.uk ) I'm irish and I wonder what might be the cost of re-registering the car and would it make the whole purchasing more expensive? Do you have any expirience with Northern Ireland used cars?