• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shocking questions

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am in the process of rebuilding the front end of my TR6. I was going to reuse the shocks. They didn't seem that bad while in the car, but after pulling one out and looking over it more carefully, I definately need to replace them. I have been trying to keep my car as stock as possible. What would be close to what was originally in my car? Can someone tell me what they chose for their car and why? Why is there such a difference in price for different shocks for this car? Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Kevin

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
Unless you like spending lots of money, just go with whatever the big vendors sell as stock. They will be made in India, and work ok. I have Koni shocks on the front and have them set to match my suspension, which has competition shocks and shorter springs. Stock is good enough, and will give you all the performance you need.

D

DougF

The original shocks were Armstrong Blue. But as Bill said, buy what the big three sell. If you want them to look original, Armstrongs were a medium blue color.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My 1958 TR3A came from the factory with original Armstrong blue shocks. About 1962 or so, I was doing a lot of rallying and I felt the front shocks were done so I bought and installed adjustable Konis. They were too stiff. Then they were too soft. Whenever I adjusted them, it seems I could never find the right settings. And then they started leaking oil. Lots of oil. By this time the car was a basket case and so from 1972 to 1987 it sat in the corner of my garage.

When I was doing my restoration from 1987 to 1990, I asked Ken Gillanders what shocks I should use. He told me that for the type of normal driving I was planning to do, to buy and install replacement stock Armstrong blues. So I did that. Just last week, I took them out as I'm doing work on the front end and they still look fine. I don't have any issues with them after 18 summers and 100,000 miles on these standard shocks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TRF.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The shocks I got from TRF were black and made in India and very cheap looking. Do you have to ask for the Armstrongs?

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I checked with the roadster factory this morning. They do not carry the armstrong blue shocks, nor are they able to get these. Does anyone sell these any more, or are they no longer made? I tried doing a quick search with no results.

Kevin

GreenOne

It appears that Monroe (who apparently owned the Armstrong name) has discontinued the Armstrong name to save the cost of re-badging Monroe shocks.

ichthos said:
I checked with the roadster factory this morning. They do not carry the armstrong blue shocks, nor are they able to get these. Does anyone sell these any more, or are they no longer made? I tried doing a quick search with no results.

Kevin

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
GreenOne said:
It appears that Monroe (who apparently owned the Armstrong name) has discontinued the Armstrong name to save the cost of re-badging Monroe shocks.

Does anyone know the Monroe part number? Or if it is available?
I have a set of the black made in india ones and they don't look all that great.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
I had a set of the black Indian-made shocks on my TR6 for a long while and they did the job. A little alert, I kinda think the Monroes are made in India, too. Do a little Google search and you will find that some Monroes are made there. Could be the same.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I had a set of "Woodhead" shocks on a TR6 once, I think from Moss. they were sold as an OEM replacement and worked fine without being too expensive.
Just an alternative..

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
get classic koni's. period. I have found prices to vary and found my local shock and chassis shop sells them for the best price in canada. you can get them from anyone. Can be re-built, adjustable, and Don Elliot is the first person i have ever found that has had a problem with them. If i were Don i would have send them back to koni.
Even the racing guys like them since koni can make them externally adjustable.
(it's what's inside that counts)
IMHO
Rob

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
GreenOne said:
Funny thing is, Monroe also was Woodhead:

3278.jpg

Oddly enough, I discovered during my Google search for the above image that "Woodhead Monroe" also is or was a musical artist! Shocking.

:blush:

PeterK

Yoda
We run Konis on both TRs. 4A has 1" lower HD springs from BPNW with Konis set on soft.

The 3A is set one notch firmer than full soft with std springs. It was a noticeable change with the Addco front bar.

My only gripe is that to set the shocks you have to disconnect one side and fully compress it. It's not something that I do often so it's no biggie.

I purchased both sets used and Koni supplied all new bushing and hardware including new decals since I repainted the shocks. Not free but they answered the phone and sent the parts.

svtmikey

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I agree with the Koni guys, why would you want to use inferior product on your car just to "look" authentic.
Fact of the matter is that even if your car was totally original, you would've replaced the shocks by now anyways.....so there goes authenticity out the window (just my humble opinion). I have used Koni's for years on just about every car I have had and have never had a problem with them. Everything from Mustangs to Volkwagens and more...they are truly a great product!
I currently have Koni Sports (Yellow's) on my SVT, and Koni classic's (Red's)on my GT6. Both are adjustable to the type of ride you want firm, softer etc, or where you want to drive, track, street etc. Yellows are adjustable by a konb that you fit on the top of the strut and simply turn, but the reds are much harder and I think you need to remove them from the mount to turn them. To be honest I haven't adjusted them on my GT6 though because as soon I as put them on, I started my frame off, and haven't finished it yet.
I think you can only get Red (Classic's) for our cars though.
I guess all I am saying is that technology has come such a long way in the 40 or so years our cars have been around, why not take advantage of it?
Just my two cents (even though it's Canadian and only worth .78)

Mikey

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I put KYB shocks on the back of my Spit. Haven't had any road time on them yet but I got a great price on them (Mistress works for a parts wholesaler).

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I also put KYBs on both the front and back of the Herald and am very happy especially at the price. To bad there are none listed for the TR6.