• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Fuel Pump Refurbish

mapleaf

Country flag
As part of my fuel pump rebuild I would like to remove 25 years of grunge and renew the appearance of the pump body. Any advice on what to use to get the best results will be greatly appreciated. TIA

PeterK

Yoda
It's under $20 a can here. Comes in a gallon paint can complete with wire basket. Wear gloves, good ones. At your local FLAPS.

OP
M

mapleaf

Country flag
Thanks guys, I must admit it's the first I've heard of 'dipping type carb cleaner'. Just wondering if it is any more effective then multiple applications of the aerosol spray cleaner.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
A few squirts from a $4 squirt aerosol and your spouse’s toothbrush.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
mapleaf said:
Just wondering if it is any more effective then multiple applications of the aerosol spray cleaner.
It varies, but some of them are much more aggressive than the typical spray. I used some stuff years ago that would clean the skin right off of your hands in just a few minutes. But I think it's illegal in CA now.

Even the spray cleaners have gotten a lot milder since they basically outlawed methylene chloride and perchloroethane.

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've always used lacquer thinner to clean carbs. It seems to do a fine job of dissolving old fuel deposits. Of course, I've always worked in wood shops where it was easy to come by -- always in stock. I don't know about CA anymore, but any hardware store around here has it.

OP
M

mapleaf

Country flag
Well, I've got lacquer thinners and a half can of aerosol carb cleaner in the garage so I'll try both separately and check the results before I go searching for the dipping type cleaner. thanks again

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
I've used the dipping type. The results were... unimpressive. I found the dremel to be one of the best cleaning tools. They make little abrasive sponge wheels (brown, black, and purple) that remove anything and leave a very nice finish.

That, plus the dremel wire wheels for the tight spots. I suspect a good stiff toothbrush and some carb cleaner would have a similar effect.

Once cleaned, wipe down with a good prep-all pre-paint cleaner. Brake cleaner works too.

On the larger items, I tend to prefer the wire wheel of a bench grinder. Difficult to manage parts get blasted in the cabinet.

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I started out with a 48 hour soak in carb cleaner. Practically no difference than when I put it in.

I then soaked in Purple Power for about 24. I buy this by the 2.5 gallon size and when degreasing something, will soak my part for a day or two. It's also an effective paint stripper too. The fuel pump came out with about 80% of the deposits off, and with a little brush and dremel action, was able to get the rest.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Mkutz: It seems like your going through a lot of trouble. Do you have access to a blast cabinet? If you do, these pump bodies clean up real nice and the pumps are very easy to disassemble.

Attachments

• 15954.jpg
    15954.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 169

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have sandblasted my fuel pump a couple of times as Frank mentions. And also the one I carry as my spare. I also do it on other aluminium parts like the intake manifold, etc. for a quick and easy way to make them look new again.

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Glass beads it will not remove the aluminum, only the grunge!

SteveTR

Jedi Hopeful
Maple,

I am with AweMan on this one. Glass works wonders and won't harm anything.

Here in California we don't have access to great removers. I bet I have tried most.

Cheers.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
If you really want to make them look good............this is over the top for most, but I was playing with ideas.

https://www.74tr6.com/fuelpump.htm

The kits from TRF were good, but lacked a new pin with clips, the mesh screens and a (EDIT) retaining cup that fits over the seal for the diaphragm shaft. I do have a new batch that were polished at Advanced Distributors and new kits from a great supplier here in NE that have screens, pins and diaphragms and bottom seals made specifically for today's gasolines, so I'll be doing a new page on that very soon. No financial interest on my part.

https://www.maritimedragracing.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
No, my tool inventory hasn't extended to blasting equipment or a decent compressor. I definetly have that in mind before I start my MGA Deluxe.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Brosky said:
The kits from TRF were good, but lacked a new pin with clips, the mesh screens and a seal for the diaphragm shaft.
That's interesting. The TR3 kit I got from them did include the screen & shaft seal (they even advertise that they've found a source for it). The original TR3 pump did not use a replaceable pivot pin with clips, so that is not included.

PS Glass beads in the blasting cabinet do make aluminum look mighty nice. I didn't bother with the fuel pump, but the clutch and brake cylinders came out like new.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:](they even advertise that they've found a source for it)[/QUOTE]

Randall I don't doubt you at all, but I had several discussions with Albert (Chas son) about that and at the time they were still looking for a source for the steel cups that fit over the seal, but that was about 18 months ago.

And my kits were all for a TR6, so maybe they had screens and seals for a TR3, but everything that came in the kit is shown on my web pages. And as you can see, no screen or shaft/clips.

BUT....there are two seals for the shaft, but no steel cup to replace the one that gets destroyed when you try to remove it to get at the seal.

I got the kits in last week and when my wife gets back with her digital camera, I'll take a picture of the entire package and post it.