• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

XK150 Roadster Soft Top Latches

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello All,
I'm looking for some suggestions on what I can do to temporarily secure the top frame to windscreen on my latest project, a very early 1958 OTS XK150 (roadster). After a long nut and bolt restoration, it has been mostly finished since last fall. There are a few of the inevitable small things left to sort out. One of which is the top (hood). I have the top frame, which has been dipped and painted. A friend, an excellent wood worker, has made me a new wood front bow. The hold down straps and attachment hardware is available reproduction. I have been searching for the front latches, which are specific to the XK150 OTS, for about a year now, and no luck. Basically, they are a lever latch that is a male tube that secures to a female bracket in the windscreen top. I have the female section, but not the lever latch that goes on the front bow. If anyone has a set, in any condition, I certainly would like to buy them. In the interim, I need to figure out a way to secure the top so that I can 1.) get the fabric installed, and 2) drive the car here in our unpredictable Seattle area weather.
Thanks to all in advance, Jerry

D

Deleted member 8987

I would be more concerned about the airborne particulate matter emanating from that domed building on the hill there in Olympia than the rain.

Rain wipes off.
But, I digress.

What happened to the originals?

OP
J

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Since my head sticks up above the top of the windscreen anyway, I've learned to duck.
Top latches, and a lot of other things, were missing when the car was purchased. This has been the most expensive and frustrating car of the 14 cars I have restored, due to all the missing parts. I have no idea why I did it, since I have red OTS, virtually identical, that I restored prior to this black

D

Deleted member 8987

You still have the red?
Reason I ask, is I wonder if you can locate a CNC mill person who can pantograph the old ones?

OP
J

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well, that has crossed my mind. Just worried it would be frightfully expensive. They are a multi piece assembly. I may take the ones from the red OTS temporarily and have the top installed on the black OTS by a local trimmer.
Regards, Jerry