• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A restoration lessons

CraigLandrum

Jedi Hopeful
As we find ourselves in the final bolt-on-the-panels stage of our restoration, I thought I might attempt to list all of the lessons learned in the process. I'm sure my son can add significantly to this list.

So here goes:

* Craig's EZ restoration cost predictor: all restorations cost $20,000. If you bought your car for $5,000, the restoration will cost $15,000. If you bought your car for $500, the restoration will cost $19,500.

* While the Triumph factory workers may have spent the first half of the day carefully planning the assembly of your car and the second half in actually doing it, lunch was spent downing 6 pints at the pub. As a result, any part you obtain either new or used must be modified before it can be bolted onto your car.

* All parts that you attach to your car must be taken off and put back on in the correct way.

* The nut that attaches the end of the vent pull cable to the arm that raises the vent was originally put on by very small elves. As a human, you are incapable of performing this task.

* The vinyl that covered the S shaped cockpit capping behind each door was originally applied by women who wore girdles and had vast experience with the intricate forces and nuances required. You are unlikely to be of the proper gender to perform this operation successfully.

* The importance you attach to getting things exactly right is inversely proportional to the length of time you have spent on your project.

* After you have bolted your flywheel to your crankshaft, installed the engine in your car, and bolted up your transmission, is not the proper time to wonder if the flywheel attachment bolts are too long, thus preventing your engine from turning.

* The starter was originally equipped with four good brushes and springs. Two or three simply isn't enough.

* Choke cables are for appearances only. Therefore, be sure to get a really pretty knob and bezel for it.

* You will spend 10 times longer removing a tachometer from a fully restored and assembled dash than you would have testing it before you put it in the car.

* A frozen tachometer mechanism will cause your new tachometer cable to instantly fail the first time you start your car.

* Putting a rubber washer on the gas tank drain to prevent leaks does exactly the opposite.

* Contact cement can never be completely removed from new carpet.

* The proper time to learn that you have not installed the correct fittings on your brake lines is not when you are in the process of bleeding them.

* Cutting off the end of a brake line, replacing the brass fitting, and reflaring the end of the line are tasks best not performed while lying down on the garage floor and taking an impromptu brake fluid shower.

* Steering columns require an internal stator tube - a part not shown in any catalog or maintenance manual illustration.

* Old brake caliper pistons can be removed by spraying some carb cleaner into the hydraulic input hole, sealing the hole with a bolt, and then heating the caliper with a propane burner. It is best not to point the piston at living things when the explosion occurs and your piston shoots across the room.

* A dremel equipped with a brown abrasive wheel is your friend. It removes paint and anything else front any metal part. You will never have enough brown abrasive wheels or heavy duty cutoff wheels.

* Tools are actually living creatures that grow legs and relocate themselves the second you set them down and look away. You will spend 25 percent of your restoration time simply trying to find tools that have hidden themselves.

* Timing is the easiest adjustment you will perform on your engine. It can be properly set with a test light in two minutes without ever starting the engine.

That's it for now.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Craig - I absotively, posilutely agree. I swear you must have been looking over my shoulder and copying my maintenance records for the last two years.

Your rules should be a sticky here, and required reading for all those getting "the itch".

Well done!
Tom

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
CraigLandrum said:
* While the Triumph factory workers may have spent the first half of the day carefully planning the assembly of your car and the second half in actually doing it, lunch was spent downing 6 pints at the pub. As a result, any part you obtain either new or used must be modified before it can be bolted onto your car.

Craig,
I have to take issue with your defamatory comment about the Triumph workers. I am sure that they could manage more than only six pints in a lunch hour!!
Nick

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Craig; I don't beleive I've heard it said more eloquently, very well done!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
CraigLandrum said:
* Old brake caliper pistons can be removed by spraying some carb cleaner into the hydraulic input hole, sealing the hole with a bolt, and then heating the caliper with a propane burner. It is best not to point the piston at living things when the explosion occurs and your piston shoots across the room.

Ohhh - got try that!

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] workers may have spent the first half of the day carefully planning the assembly of your car and the second half in actually doing it, lunch was spent downing 6 pints at the pub[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't the trick for restoration work be simply to emulate technique?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Having just removed that nut from the vent pull, I am now dreading the day when I need to put it back on!

Thanks Craig, I will see if there is anything that I can add to the list near the end of my project.

Cheers

M. Pied ourd

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
If you lean over the passenger door to turn the key on to start the engine, be very careful not to accidently pull the light switch, even a small amount.
My wiring harness is new, and the ends of the light terminals have a small piece of tape over them, but not enough to prevent it from shorting out when the front apron is placed in position.
Then when you see the smoke, and race to turn the key off, it's too late.
I'm now rewiring the left headlight wire, all the way to the switch.
TS16951 waiting for paint, and now rewiring-
Emmett

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
emmett1010 said:
My wiring harness is new, and the ends of the light terminals have a small piece of tape over them, but not enough to prevent it from shorting out when the front apron is placed in position.
A good way to avoid this is to install the vinyl-covered connectors onto the wiring harness <span style="font-weight: bold">before</span> applying power to anything.

T

TRDejaVu

tdskip said:
CraigLandrum said:

Ohhh - got try that!
Me too, wish I'd known about that earlier. Hope I remember it.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
without sounding too stupid, does this actually work? I've got to get my pistons loose somehow, and don't have a compressor yet but I do have a nice vise.
Mike

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Should do, tho I've never had a caliper stuck badly enough to need it. Works great on master cylinders, clutch and rear brake slave cylinders, tho. The heat both helps loosen the stuck piston, and boils the carb cleaner, creating the pressure to force the piston out.

Note that carb cleaner is also flammable, so there may be a burst of flame as it comes apart. Eye protection is a must. But just keep calm and the fire will go out instantly.

Also watch out for overhead lights. It missed the bulb, but the reflector over my work bench is dented ...

rlandrum

Jedi Trainee
19_again said:
without sounding too stupid, does this actually work? I've got to get my pistons loose somehow, and don't have a compressor yet but I do have a nice vise.
Mike

Yep. Works well, but not for the faint-of-heart.

Ours were rusted into place. I used compressed air, but that had no effect. I tapped them with a ball peen while applying air pressure; still no results.

I adapted the technique I used to remove the stuck master cylinder bore. Basically I filled the calipur with carb cleaner, then blocked off all the holes with 3/8 fine threaded bolts using teflon tape. I then heated the calipur with the propane torch. The process is not fast (or at least not as fast as the master cylinder), and after a few minutes of heating there is loud pop followed by a mild explosion and fire which is easily doused with a cup of water. Stand at arms length from the calipur while heating it.

The hardest part is waiting for it to go off.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Also watch out for overhead lights. It missed the bulb, but the reflector over my work bench is dented ...

yup, I found out you don't unscrew the springs from the shocks while trying to get at that pesky spacer from the left front, mine went up and busted the fluorescent bulb, and left a nice mark in the sheetrock ceiling, top half of the spring came back down and bounced off the workbench. I'll try the air pump first, then if that doesn't work I'll build a nice compressor like Doc's, but if that don't get it, I'll be lightin' 'em up!!

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
This post is about a year old but with many new members myself included I thought it wise and humorous to have everyone review this bit of prose. Hilarious and apropos!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
CraigLandrum said:
As we find ourselves in the final bolt-on-the-panels stage of our restoration, I thought I might attempt to list all of the lessons learned in the process. I'm sure my son can add significantly to this list.

So here goes:

* Craig's EZ restoration cost predictor: all restorations cost $20,000. If you bought your car for $5,000, the restoration will cost $15,000. If you bought your car for $500, the restoration will cost $19,500.

* All parts that you attach to your car must be taken off and put back on in the correct way.

* The nut that attaches the end of the vent pull cable to the arm that raises the vent was originally put on by very small elves. As a human, you are incapable of performing this task.

* The vinyl that covered the S shaped cockpit capping behind each door was originally applied by women who wore girdles and had vast experience with the intricate forces and nuances required. You are unlikely to be of the proper gender to perform this operation successfully.

* The importance you attach to getting things exactly right is inversely proportional to the length of time you have spent on your project.

* After you have bolted your flywheel to your crankshaft, installed the engine in your car, and bolted up your transmission, is not the proper time to wonder if the flywheel attachment bolts are too long, thus preventing your engine from turning.

* The starter was originally equipped with four good brushes and springs. Two or three simply isn't enough.

* Choke cables are for appearances only. Therefore, be sure to get a really pretty knob and bezel for it.

* You will spend 10 times longer removing a tachometer from a fully restored and assembled dash than you would have testing it before you put it in the car.

* A frozen tachometer mechanism will cause your new tachometer cable to instantly fail the first time you start your car.

* Putting a rubber washer on the gas tank drain to prevent leaks does exactly the opposite.

* Contact cement can never be completely removed from new carpet.

* The proper time to learn that you have not installed the correct fittings on your brake lines is not when you are in the process of bleeding them.

* Cutting off the end of a brake line, replacing the brass fitting, and reflaring the end of the line are tasks best not performed while lying down on the garage floor and taking an impromptu brake fluid shower.

* Steering columns require an internal stator tube - a part not shown in any catalog or maintenance manual illustration.

* A dremel equipped with a brown abrasive wheel is your friend. It removes paint and anything else front any metal part. You will never have enough brown abrasive wheels or heavy duty cutoff wheels.

* Tools are actually living creatures that grow legs and relocate themselves the second you set them down and look away. You will spend 25 percent of your restoration time simply trying to find tools that have hidden themselves.

* Timing is the easiest adjustment you will perform on your engine. It can be properly set with a test light in two minutes without ever starting the engine.

That's it for now.

<span style="font-size: 10pt">Craig: Now that's a real keeper. I love it. Please submit to Basil to be included in the member's articles.

AND, when you have an opportunity, how about some recent photos.

Regards,

Frank</span>