• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Ford sports cars - Cobra concept and GT [GT40]

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Hi all,

Just checked out a website for the new Ford GT [GT40] as well some pictures of the new Cobra.

Anyone seen pictures of the new Cobra? There was a recent "Rides" episode on TLC channel about building it. Apparently there was a lot of consultation with Carroll Shelby about it.

Anyway, some great Ford factory websites...

new Ford Cobra concept

new Ford GT page

There's a great video with all three cars (Cobra, GT and Mustang) under the GT link.

new Ford Mustang

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: Sherlock ]</p>

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Is it just me, or do all the new retros look like they OD'd on steroids?

At least the GT40 is true to its heritage.

Mickey

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: Mickey Richaud ]</p>

lawguy

Jedi Knight
I like the GT.

I like the new Mustang.

The Cobra concept, however, looks horrible. The 6.4L aluminum V10 at 600+hp looks good, but the body is just terrible. It looks like a bad '70s kit car.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I’m indifferent to the new “funny” Cobra….I like some of the kits better (especially the “narrow” 289-style bodies). For a really funky Cobra body, look here:

https://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/14974copy__2__of_picture_082.jpg

I’m not interested in cars as big a Mustang.
But I love the new GT, especially since I got to ride in a GT-40 (replica) this year. Here’s a picture of my “ride”. (my Sprite was parked behind it when this photo was taken).
This car’s for sale right now: the owner’s building a Daytona Coupe. He’s one of my flying buddies….he also owns an RV-6 sportplane (lucky guy!). I actually know two people building Daytona replicas right now….I’d like to see Ford build those instead of the “stylized” Cobra roadster.

ww21_356.jpg

catfood

Jedi Knight
Gawd, that Mustangs awful. It looks like a boy racer bodykitted Maserati Bi-Turbo with a kitsch 1970's interior.

Still I liked the GT40 and the Cobra, a sort of Audi TT on steroids...

William

Darth Vader
I really like the new Mustang, but it's a very color sensitive shape. The dark red on the promo site looks awful. Ford had a silver one at the Chicago Auto Show and it looked fine. Same can be said for black, which are the only colors I've seen.

-William

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi Everybody,

I really don't care about the Cobra or Mustang either way they just don't really do much for me. The GT-40 on the other hand is hmm awesome has already been used so I'll say narrly.

Cheers,
thirsty.gif
driving.gif

Walter

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
How about "sublime"? The GT40 is gorgeous, no two ways about it. The Mustang is okay, I really don't mind it, but I am not a fan of the Cobra.....As Catfood said, like an Audi TT on steroids, but why ape the TT? The original AC shape was beautiful, so why not a variation on that, they copied the GT40 faithfully, and the Mustang was inspired by the original pony car, so why not do the same with the Cobra?

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
I think the Viper stole some of the retro Cobra's thunder, so Ford had to come up with something that did not look like "just another Viper." After all, even the V-10 power plant is a Viper rip-off. However, most articles I have seen say that if the Cobra actually reaches production, it will have the GT's blown V-8 instead of the V-10.

Ford did not have that problem with the retro GT because no other car company has built anything that looked like the original GT-40 since the 1960s.

I like the new Mustang because I have always liked the 1969 Mach I that it was knocked off from.
driving.gif

Bret

Yoda
I think some of you already know of my fondness for the new Mustang. Still trying to decide how I can get one and still get my new truck. But that’s another story. I really like the GT with and love the power plant numbers Ford is putting out. Can’t wait to see the Ford lets it SVO do with it when they Cobraize the new Mustang.
thumbsup.gif

Speaking of Cobra’s the “Carroll blessed” Ford concept Cobra left me wanting. Not sure what’s missing or over done about it but it just doesn’t sit right with me. I know a lot of folks really blasted the Shelby Series 1 when it first came out – but I’d take it over the concept Cobra any day.
frown.gif

As for the GT40? What can I say, too cool! They got it right. It has been added to my long list of cars I’d love to own.