• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A MG-TD vs TR3?

Dave_H

In addition to TR3s, I've always admired the look of the MG-TD/TCs but have never driven in one. It seems they tend to cost more but I wondered how they would compare as far as leg room (I'm 6'3") and performance. The TC especially seems more fragile in appearance. Anyone here owned or have experience with both?

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Dave,

You're too tall for a MG TD or TC. There is very little comparison in the MG TC and TD to a TR3. A stock TD tops out around 70MPH. Acceleration 0-60 is over 20 seconds. They are gorgeous cars, but basically are pre-war in design. Brakes are horrible (although better than pre-war Midgets.) They are cruisers, perfect for 40MPH back country roads.

You can be 6'3" and squish in there, but it's not going to be much fun. At 6'4" I can barley operate controls.

A more fair comparison is the MGA to the TR3. MGA has better handling and is more "finished." The TR3 is more muscular and fast, but a little more of a handful in the corners.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Acceleration 0-60 is over 20 seconds...Brakes are horrible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Our clubs runs often include TDs. When behind one I always leave a lot of room when starting from a standing stop... they seem to 'accelerate' to about 5 mph, then have to shift into 2nd.

Made the mistake of having to stop suddenly with one behind me. Got off with just a dent and scratch in the LR bumperette. He wasn't really following close -- just took a lot of road to get it stopped.

The TCs & TDs & TFs are so very British you gotta love 'em but they just aren't for me.

OP
Dave_H

Dave_H

That's what I figured. I saw a '48 MG-TC at the Antique Auto museum in Hershey PA last month. Super nice car but I couldn't imagine trying to fit in it and my wife said "no way!" So now I am happy to go with a TR3 again. I recall what great leg room they had! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Dave,

I have a TF and a TR3A and will second the comments from Sam and George. The TF is basically a TD with exterior modifications to update its appearance. My TF has a very low first gear, in a pinch on a flat you can start from a stop in second if you can't find first gear. Cruising at about 55 MPH is running at about 4000 RPM. The drum brakes are not nearly as good as the TR3's front disk/rear drum set up. I'm 5 ft 6 and don't have a leg room problem, however with the hood up I don't have much head room to spare. Also with the hood down, the top of your head will probably be above the top of the wind screen. The TR3 accelerates quickly, cruises at 60 MPH at about 3000 RPM and braking is better. There is definitely more leg room, I need to stretch to depress the clutch to the floor board with the seat forward. I also think there is more head room.

The MG "T"s are not as fragile as they appear, however they are for cruising with that classic look down winding country roads. The TR3 can do the same with a more modern look and also handle highway speeds.

Safety Fast,
Dave

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
One of the Pacific Northwest region of Classic Car Club members actually has a pre-war Midget (very much like the TC) sitting in his living room as sculpture. He has four Lagondas, and he raced the MG for years. He finally decided the brakes were too dangerous, the acceleration made the car a hazzard in BC street traffic, and that the car was basically so gorgeous, he couldn't give it up. So he drained it, brought it into his house and threw stuffed animals in the cockpit.

OP
Dave_H

Dave_H

[ QUOTE ]
A more fair comparison is the MGA to the TR3. MGA has better handling and is more "finished." The TR3 is more muscular and fast, but a little more of a handful in the corners.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I have to ask... how would an MGA compare with a TR3? Seems like they go for more $$$. I've never driven in one.

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The standard statement about until 5 years ago was "MGAs are 2/3 the price of a TR3, because they're 2/3 the car."

Somewhere along the line, the MGAs came up in value. Honestly, their asking prices are high, but their selling prices are exactly in line with TR3s now. Only the rare Twin Cams and ultra-rare DeLuxe models are higher in price.

MGAs are still quite cramped in the cockpit compared to the TR3. One might consider the MGA part boulevard cruiser/part apex carver, whereas the TR3 is part budget sports car/part budget GT car/part budget english muscle car.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
whereas the TR3 is part budget sports car/part budget GT car/part budget english muscle car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but mine broke my budget!

Mickey

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif Great comment...I shouldn't laugh, but it was funny.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's OK, Sam - sense of humor is a given with LBC's!

Mickey