• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Camera Mounted Mini

minime

Freshman Member
mini.jpg

Just got a new camera mount for my mini. Here is a sample vid i make; mini.wmv

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Got lots of attention on the road.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
What type of cameras are either of you using. I have wanted to do this also but not with a large hand held type camera.
How do you record if it is a small camera?

Thanks

Bruce

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Great stuff!
I have a bunch of tapes taken from the roll bar of my Spridget-racer. It's not quite the same affect, because it's not as high and rearward....but similar. I had one of the videos on my site, but I pulled it off due to lack of space....I'm movtivated, so I'll try to host it somewhere again.
In answer to Bruce's question, I would just use one of the popular mini-DV camcorders. Switch it on, drive around and even do "screen grabs" of invidual pictures afterward (if desired).

This picture is a screen-grab from one of my VHS tapes taken at Shannonville, Ontario (I'm still saving for a digital camcorder). Gives you and idea of the perspective.I am trying to nose out my friends in his Cortina (I didn't). Eventually, we both got by the red car that was leading (an X1-9).
cortina_beaverun.jpg

I posted the stuff below on another BCF forum, but it may be of interest to you:
One of our racers (Jake Fisher) has posted several in-car videos of east-coast tracks and EMRA/SCCA races from his MR2.
Nice stuff of Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Summit Point and New Hampshire Speedway.
Go to his site and click on:
"Click here for MANY MORE racing videos!"

Jake's site:

https://www.racerjake.com

OP
M

minime

Freshman Member
Cottontop, for some close ups you can go to www.gtmount.com on the installation page.

Bruce Bowker, what do you mean by small camera? I used a small mini-DV camcorder. I can use a remote control it came with to start and stop the camera when i want, just pointed out the sun-roof. :p

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
Cottontop, for some close ups you can go to www.gtmount.com on the installation page.

Bruce Bowker, what do you mean by small camera? I used a small mini-DV camcorder. I can use a remote control it came with to start and stop the camera when i want, just pointed out the sun-roof. :p

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking maybe you used just a camera and had a remote recorder somewhere in the car. Similar to how security cameras work. Was not sure if there is such as thing as a 12 volt recorder for a remote tiny camera. I assume (and probably expensive as they would transmit by radio) the cameras in race cars as shown on TV are very light and very samll.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bruce, you can get "Lipstick" cameras that mount anywhere, and run into the camcorder of your choice, that can be located wherever you choose. They're the size of a lipstick tube, hence the name. About $200.00 as I remember.
Many of the Formula car racers I know use them, as there is limited space to mount a camcorder to the bodywork or roll structure.
I'll be at the track all weekend, and will ask around as to prices and availability.
Jeff