• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1989 Xj6 Rims

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
I've been looking for rims for my car, and I thought instead of unloading 100's on rims, and new tyres for those rims, I was wondering how it is viewed if I modify my rims.
For starters, is their a place I can get my rims recovered/repainted/refurbished with quality paint that won't chip? Right now, they are an alloy, but I'd like to go chrome if I could.
Another option would be to buy chrome hubcaps(I've been looking for some new ones anyway), and/or get some chrome trim rings. Here's an example
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUAR-TR...sspagenameZWDVW

Here's a picture of my car with the current rims. I don't really want to switch my rims, just modify them. I'm really curious to know what other Jaguar enthusiasts would think. I am open to all ideas.
StevensJaguar007.jpg

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I like the look of those wheels. Chrome trim rings can damage the alloys, I know that on my MG they gouged the paint away, so I would be wary if I were you. Refinishing is a good option I think, there are places that do that, some even come to you and work on the car at your place of work. If you want to go chrome, I think that the right paint might work wonders.

B_Ski

Freshman Member
x2 those trim rings used to tear the paint apart on my dad's 72 MGB. I have the same rims on my 89 as well. I'm keeping an eye open for a good deal on some wire wheels.

Painting, powder coating or chroming them are all options it just depends on what you want in the end and of course how much you want to spend.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Check out Eastwood Company .com and look at the powder coating colors. They do have a chrome color which has a sheen to it like chrome. Powdercoating would be a good option as the paint is heat resistant and chip resistant. Trim rings will not fit those rims and stay on. You can also get a painter to paint them as you want and there is also a chrome paint process. These wheels did come in chrome and won't be cheap new. Used ones will at the age have some problems as most tyre fitters did not use the right weights when tyres were mounted. Steel balance fasteners errode the aluminum and messed the chrome wheels. If they were mounted using sticky weights would be your best buy option. The trim rings on Ebay are for the older steel wheel cars.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
you have 'TEARDROP' Jaguar wheels with holes in the hubcaps.

I have the same Teardrop wheels in my 1984 but without holes in the hubcaps, and with chromed hubcaps which I got at eBay back in 1992. Haven't seen them again. Made in Germany.

here's a pic of mine.

As to painting them chrome, don't waste your money, chrome is chrome, paint is paint. chrome paint looks cheap.

I have a set of 4 un-chromed hubcaps and without the holes.

Ex

Attachments

• 15010.jpg
    15010.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 378

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a selection of new and used Jaguar wheels I would like to sell. Contact me off line for photos and prices.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I also have a set of full size 15" hubcaps as used in Europe, Canada and Australia in the Series 2 and 3 XJ Sovereign models. They are polished stainless steel. To use those, you need plain steel wheels.

here's a pic.

as stated above, the Teardrop wheels will not accept beauty rings, those are for steel wheels only.

Ex

Attachments

• 15011.jpg
    15011.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 376
OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
Right, I just checked out the Eastwood website, and from the sound of it, I need an entire airbrush kit, and the curing directions are at 400F.
I would like to replace the hubcaps so that all 4 match completely. Right now, I have the two that match perfectly on the drivers side, and two of different shades on the passenger side. I do like the look of the hole less chrome hubcaps, but I haven't seen many of them, opposed to the hole chrome hubcaps. I won't put on the chrome rings because of the scratching, and not fitting.
New rims are out of the question right now, however nice they would be, my tyres are all new, and I don't necessary want to sell anything to keep it all original.
For the most part, at this point, I'd like to know the opinion of putting a chrome hub cap (hole or hole-less) on my standard alloy rims.

Any and all input is appreciated.

B_Ski

Freshman Member
I think that would look fine Tophat, I'm still watching for a affordable set of wires though. I really don't care for the rims we have.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
if you try to cure the hubcaps at 400 degrees, they will melt because these hubcaps are plastic, including the chromed hubcaps.

personally I do not care for the holes in the hubcaps, it defeats the purpose of a hubcap, doesn't it?

The solid hubcap and Teardrop wheel combination looks very Jaguar, in both the XJ-6 and the XJ-40. It is the best-looking wheel Jaguar ever designed. it looks vintage and modern at the same time, very elegant. The other set of solid hubcaps I have are the originals from the set of Teardrops I bought in 1992, they are in the original Jaguar Silver paint and all match each other. They do not have the center emblems because I transferred those to the chromed caps.
I think they have my initials on the back with magic marker because I was paranoid they might get stolen! I think thinner will remove the magic marker.

Ex

Attachments

• 15027.jpg
    15027.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 384

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm looking for a set of those teardrop chrome wheels to go on my '87 that has only 37,000 original miles - or on my '85 that has 65,000 original:

bluejag01.jpg

jag02.JPG

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tony you still have those ugly Kents? But I thought you wanted Wires? (wires look awful in the XJ).

something you should know about the chromed Teardrops:

They LEAK!

Yes, the chromed ones leak, something having to do with the tire edges not sealing well because the chrome is slippery. They never came chromed from the factory, those are owner-chromed. But they sure look pretty don't they? Me I'm sticking with the painted Teardrops.

Ex

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, still have them....I bought a set of wires, put them on the charcoal '85, quickly took them off & sold them!

Leaks can be corrected with tubes.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That'd work also.

OP
T

Tophatchef

Jedi Hopeful
The chrome really does make a statement... and that statement is luxury. I refer you to the SNL skit featuring Will Ferrell. He hosted the show with Queens of the Stone Age as the musical guest. (if you are interested)