• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Truck X-Ray!

Bret

Yoda
Some of you might remember I posted some X-Ray images of my 78 MGB a while back. If you need a reminder follow the link to my web pages below in my signature.

Anyway here are some test scans of my F-150 Supercrew I took during a scheduled PM of one of the US Customs X-Ray Trucks down on the Arizona boarder south of Yuma. If you look in the rear-cab you can see I have the seats folded down for all of my tools & test equipment. Can’t wait to get my color matched bed cover so I don’t have to keep stuff in the cab.

The first image is what we call backscatter – used to detect organics, people and less dense materials such as plastics & the like. Note my cooler and tool box show up really well in this image.
f150bk_3.jpg

The second image is what could be considers a more traditional x-ray scan. We call this a Transmission image – it’s primarily used to scan for more dense items. Such as weapons and other metal items. Note the engine, trans and differential show up really clearly in this image.
f150tr_3.jpg

Even after all this time I still think I got a cool job. I actually love going to work in the morning.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
Think that’s cool? Well my company just started deploying a whole lot of new products. A couple of these employ High Energy X-Ray systems for “extra penetration”. Similar to the Oncology x-ray systems used to treat cancer patients.

FYI standard medical x-ray tubes normally operate in the KV (Thousand volt) range between 75-150KV at various current rating depending on the application. Stronger industrial systems (like the mobile x-ray system that took the scans above of my truck above) still use tube technology, but they operate at a much higher level about 3x to 4x that of a standard medical tube. Because high energy systems operate in the Me (Million Volt) range, they don’t use tubes for obvious reasons. But rather a liner accelerator to reach the voltage and power levels needed. Standard medical Oncology treatment systems (that I know of anyway) operate between 5 & 6Me.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyway the new high energy systems we sell, will be used mostly at Sea ports to scan off loaded shipping containers. They are so good that they can actually see the position of the pistons & valves in the engine of a tractor trailer truck.

Is that cool or what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
And the best part is, after you scan one you can work all night from the glow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
And the best part is, after you scan one you can work all night from the glow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you’re kidding, but point in fact - noting really glows. That only happens on the Simpsons and in really bad movies.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But while not recommended you could actually stand in the x-ray beam of the mobile x-ray system (that took the scans above) and you wouldn’t have a thing to worry about. Thing is - you actually get more radiation exposure taking a trip in an aircraft flying from California to New York than you’d ever get from one of these systems.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

For you technical types that want & understand exposure rates - here are some mR numbers.
1) Exposure rate to surroundings: Less than 0.5mR/hour
2) Exposure rate to the scanned cargo depending on the settings (Actually in the beam): a) SLOW 0.2mR., b) FAST 0.1mR.

Also - Nothing against you smokers – but I think you’d have more to be afraid of what is left in your body after smoking one cigarette than a hundred x-ray exposures.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
Just a joke...

But as a slowly reforming smoker, I do know they hide the good stuff down by the filter. (that's another joke).

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Just a joke...

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I knew you were kidding. Besides didn't you see the smily face? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

philman

Jedi Knight
my brother is operating a scatter back in bagdad with the washington national guard. all he found so far was a load of contraband alcohol. said the troops were really disappointed to pour it out on the ground.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
A lot of NG guys run and/or used to train the US Customs folks in the operation of the X-Ray trucks before they where deployed. Where was he stationed out of before he went over to Bagdad? I've mainly worked out in the Western states but I have worked with some guys from the East coast from time to time. Who knows I might know him.

OP
Bret

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Bret, can anyone drive their car through those machines, and can the picture be obtained?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there are a lot of ways you can get your car scanned crossing the boarder. But I don’t recommend any of those as they normally involve somebody getting arrested. The only up side is your attorney would get nice copies of the scans.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But Customs does do random searches form time to time. Where they take about 20 or 30 northbound passenger cars. After they direct you into secondary they line’em up end to end, make the people get out and scan them in real time while the folks wait. But “that” as I said is a totally random operation and I can assure you that (assuming they don't find anything illegal) they don’t hand out copies of the scan like you might get at the end of a ride at an amusement park.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif