• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGA MGA Fastback

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I recently purchased an MGA Fastback and am looking for information on them. Is there any books that cover them?

Does anyone else have one?

It is red with wire wheels and looks very similar but not the same as this one:

fastback_s.jpg

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wow

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You found that! WOW!! LUcky you!

But, it's really not a factory fastback - believe that's an aftermarket top section that was added....if it aluminum or fiberglass?

Jack_Long

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
Wow is right, Steve!

Where'd you find that!!

The only thing I've seen is the modified MGA streamliner built by Bob Lester (a Chicago BMC dealer).

You can see it ~HERE~

There was also a one-off factory-built MGA fastback, I believe built for the 1961 Sebring race. There is a picture of it in MG by McComb.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack_Long said:
aeronca65t said:
Wow is right, Steve!

Where'd you find that!!

The only thing I've seen is the modified MGA streamliner built by Bob Lester (a Chicago BMC dealer).

You can see it ~HERE~

There was also a one-off factory-built MGA fastback, I believe built for the 1961 Sebring race. There is a picture of it in MG by McComb.
Yeah, but that ain't it! And the factory never built any, just the racing effort.

OP
Tullamore

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have found pictures of about seven different fastbacks but none are exactly like mine. The one I posted is very close maybe an earlier/later version.

I will post pictures as we start work on it. I just restored the wheels in gloss black and fitted new tires.

RickB

Yoda
mmm... that's gonna be fun to watch!!

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
So you bought the one listed on Craigslist last month? Photos and a link were posted on the MG Experience board. https://www.mgexperience.net/phorum/read.php?2,980910,page=1 Looks like a totally home made top on that car, nothing factory and not one of the fiberglass tops made by the aftermarket. An interesting project for sure. There were only a couple of "fastback" MGAs built by for LeMans and they are nothing like the one you have. Other fastback designs have been done, some very well finished. Good luck with yours.

OP
Tullamore

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The quality of the top makes me believe it is not custom but one of the aftermarket tops. I would be surprised that there is not a lot of pictures of this car out there somewhere as it has been heavily modified. Even the door handles are shaved and open with electric plungers that work off push buttons on the dash.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Tullamore said:
Even the door handles are shaved and open with electric plungers that work off push buttons on the dash.
Now, that's a sign of the American hotrodder at work....and also a sign of a 60's or later modification.....the doors in the photo Bill linked us to are MGA roadster doors and wouldn't have had an outside door handle anyway.....the corner of the dash seen in the photo also is from an MGA roadster.....& it appears to have alot of bondo in it (or it is fiberglass).

Thanks, Bill, for waiting so long to bring that thread to my attention or I would've been fighting the weather from Alabama to the Midwest!

OP
Tullamore

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yes the car was originally a roadster, and the front of the top is secured in the front like a normal hard top would have been. There is also window surrounds built to attach to the doors, and quarter windows to fill in the gap behind the door's glass.

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hard call on something like that whether to toss the added stuff or use it in the restoration as a curiosity.

You should post some pics when you have them.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Tony, I had no idea you would be interested in such a project. I'll keep you in mind next time.
Steve, you will have a really unique car when you get it done. It is a removable hard top, so except for some possible paint rub where it contacts the body you can have the best of both worlds, a nice restored MGA and a totally unique fast back when you want. Nice log in name by the way, Tullamore, source of a fine Irish whiskey.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bill!! You know I'm interested in anything MG! Unique or not!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
If you got the car in Lincoln, NE, I have seen the car, wish I has taken a closer look when I had the chance certainly is unique. Good luck with the restoration

Greg Lemon

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bill....it's easy.

1. Click the "Reply" button instead of using the block that appears at the bottom of that thread (it's at the bottom of any post in a thread to which you want to post a photo.).

2. Type your post. Then, before doing anything else, look at the bottom of your typed message & you'll see "File Manager".

3.Click on "File Manager" and a little box will appear. In it is a "Browse" button. Clicking it starts a search of your computer. When you find the photo you want to post, tell your computer to open the photo & then tell the little box to "add File">

4. You can do that several times & when you're finished, click "Done Adding Files" at the bottom of the little box.

5. That will take you back to the BCF where you can "Submit" your post with photos. You cannot preview the photos you posted; but, if they showed up in the little box, they're there.

OR:

If you have a photo on your website or any website that'll allow you to grab the photo address, paste it at the bottom of your post with the little
at front and back of the address.

If the photos are too large, just downsize to what the little box tells you.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Thanks Tony, let's see if I can get the hang of it.

Attachments

• 14908.jpg
    14908.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 261

Rik

Jedi Hopeful
Bill,
Tony needs a few more cars to justify adding on to the Garage Mahal again. He's out of room already after the last addition. He must have 25 cars in there.
Rik