• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil Drips

satzman

Jedi Hopeful
Hello, I'm the new guy in town. I just purchased a 1956 100M (BN2). Apparently it was totally restored in the UK. However, there are a few oil drips. After putting some newspaper on the garage floor, there were about five different drip areas shwoing in the morning (front end of car -- size of absorbed drips, about 2" - no puddles).

I was told that using a different oil could help (Penzoil High Mileage 10W40 or Castrol 20W50 GTX) -- and not to bother having any repairs until I needed some other major work like clutch replacement. Any thoughts -- and what's the oil capacity of the car? Thanks.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Oil drips in the front of the car are usually from the steering box, IMHO. Some in the center are from the transmission. I wouldn't worry to much. Just drive the car more. Driving your car helps eliminate leaks, at least while the car is out of the garage.

Johnny, 59bn7
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by satzman:
Hello, I'm the new guy in town. I just purchased a 1956 100M (BN2). Apparently it was totally restored in the UK. However, there are a few oil drips. After putting some newspaper on the garage floor, there were about five different drip areas shwoing in the morning (front end of car -- size of absorbed drips, about 2" - no puddles).

I was told that using a different oil could help (Penzoil High Mileage 10W40 or Castrol 20W50 GTX) -- and not to bother having any repairs until I needed some other major work like clutch replacement. Any thoughts -- and what's the oil capacity of the car? Thanks.
<hr></blockquote>

Welcome to the forum.
grin.gif
You'll find it helpful and entertaining.

The usual reason I've heard for the oil drips is that "It's just marking its territory." My BN4 has been rebuilt from front to rear and still drips. Not as many as before, but still there. I use 20W50 and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Two points that get most of the blame are the rear of the crankshaft and the input shaft of the transmission. In both cases, there is no seal and they both drip from the bottom of the bell housing. The rear of the crankshaft has a spiral groove that is suppose to pump the oil back into the engine, but that only works when it's turning. Later transmissions added a seal to the front. In any case, you may want to replace the newspaper with something more substantial, keep an eye on your fluid levels, not park in your friend's clean driveway and not worry about it. If/when you replace the clutch, they make aftermarket seals for the crankshaft and if you ever do the transmission, a seal may be added there too. Don't overfill the engine or transmission, it will only make the leaks worse.

cheers.gif

John

XJRpilot

Jedi Hopeful
its just your austin healey marking its territory.
either that or your AH is reminding you to check its fluid level.
grin.gif

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I made a "diaper" that stows in the back of my car for the times I have to park in driveways of people who can't appreciate the Bugeye's territorial markings. (they're so anal)
tongue.gif

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Unending and unfixable oil drips from my Healey are the reasons I sealed my new garage floor. No matter how hard I tried to keep the metal drip pan positioned properly, oil would inevitably drip and soak into the concrete. The sealant allows it to be easily wiped up. If I ever get into the engine again, I will definitely install the new rear seal that is available! The oil drips are an irritant that really drives me crazy!
Steve

Healey 100

Jedi Warrior
Welcome Satz!

Having a Healey for almost 30 years taught me a few things -- one is that chasing oil leaks in a Healey is like searching for the holy grail. If it's not leaking, well, it's just not a Healey.

Fact is some leaks are repairable if you've got failed gaskets, pores in castings, bad seals. But most of the big Healey leaks (rear main, overdrive joints, lower transmission parts) seem to defy repair. I even wonder if some of the aftermarket items that are out there to control leaks really work. But I have no first hand experience with them.

Just think of the leaks as automatic system for applying rust preventative to your frame.

Good luck, enjoy your Healey...

Bill
Albuquerque NM

OP
S

satzman

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to all who replied. Now I know that a drippy Healey is a fact of life

bighly

Jedi Knight
After driving my Big Hly coughs up radiator fluid once through the overflow. About five miniutes after parking her in the garage. It gives more variety to the little puddles of oil etc on the floor.

Tracy 60 BT7