• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Have you ever seen this car before?

G

I saw this photo on Korean web site, But nobody knows this car's information even the name. So, I need some help from you guys...All I konw is this photo was taken last June in UK. Please....Please....give me some clues.....
Car0010001.JPG

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
This is probably a good time to ask this question: Are attachments (like the one above) pre-screened by the the British Car Forum software to keep out virus-infected stuff?
Basil or anyone else have an anwser?
Personally, I do not generally open attachments unless I'm pretty sure what they are ahead of time, or I know the person.......and I would not open an attachment from a first-time poster ever.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
This is probably a good time to ask this question: Are attachments (like the one above) pre-screened by the the British Car Forum software to keep out virus-infected stuff?
Basil or anyone else have an anwser?
Personally, I do not generally open attachments unless I'm pretty sure what they are ahead of time, or I know the person.......and I would not open an attachment from a first-time poster ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't allow file extensions that could contain viruses. Generally image files (.jpg, gif) can't contain a viruses, only files that are executable (pif, exe, etc).

Basil

Bret

Yoda
Ohhh, thats a good question?

It’s “outsider’s” First post? No hi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif, how are ya or any kind of introduction, yet he feels the need to put attachments in his first post. Yes, I know he might be the nicest guy in the world, but I don’t even open emails from folks I don’t know - let alone their attachments.

Another thing that is kind of make me suspect something is amiss - is that “Outsider” claims that the photo was taken in the UK? Well, if that's so, all I can say is that I'm a bit surprised, because I didn’t know we (the US) Exported Dodge Ram Trucks or Plain Jane Pontiacs over there.

Also little or no info in the bio makes me a little nervous.

Baz, have we looked into or do we have some kind of screening S/W for attachments? Opps to fast for me I didn't see the replys until it was too late.

Let's just hope outsider and us all can all look back on this 6 months from now and laugh.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Also little or no info in the bio makes me a little nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its alright, I have all the info I need - its called an IP address and it belongs to Earthlink (I have connections /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif )

But seriously, "outsider" if you are a British car enthusiast, welcome but please do introduce yourself and tell us what, if any, British cars you own.

Basil

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Ohhh, thats a good question?

It’s “outsider’s” First post? No hi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif, how are ya or any kind of introduction, yet he feels the need to put attachments in his first post. Yes, I know he might be the nicest guy in the world, but I don’t even open emails from folks I don’t know - let alone their attachments.

Another thing that is kind of make me suspect something is amiss - is that “Outsider” claims that the photo was taken in the UK? Well, if that's so, all I can say is that I'm a bit surprised, because I didn’t know we (the US) Exported Dodge Ram Trucks or Plain Jane Pontiacs over there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chrysler products are indeed exported to the UK, and even plain Janes show up from time to time. Having said that, the POW/MIA flag, together with the American vehicles might indeed have indicated an American location, the VW.....(if that is what it still is), was indeed registered in the UK, in Salford, which is a town close to Manchester, to be exact. The registration plate indicates that it was registered in 1971, and there is a British Excise Licence in the lower corner of the windscreen. The white vehicle seen through the windscreen in the background has right-hand drive. Probably kosher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Chrysler products are indeed exported to the UK, and even plain Janes show up from time to time. <<SNIP>> Probably kosher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a bit of a surprise is all I’m saying /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I just didn’t think tastes in Briton allowed for full-size American Trucks like the Dodge extended cab 1500 with the V8 show in the photo above.

Likewise, the GM sedan to the rear of the Bug 4x4(?) looks like a nasty old Pontiac Grand Prix from the early 90’s. Unless some American GI brought it over with him, why would anybody import these things to the UK given the cool cars they already have?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Unless some American GI brought it over with him, why would anybody import these things to the UK given the cool cars they already have?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no accounting for taste /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, American Iron of all kinds is rather popular over there, and there are a number of people in the UK who have strange tastes. I think that the GI explanation is rather likely, because don't the Air Force transport person vehicles free of charge for their service personnel?

MattP

Jedi Knight
I am a bit slow, it just dawned on me that some of the off target posts could be to people thinking this is the British Car-Forum, rather than the British-Car Forum, if you get my meaning.

But they should still give a bit more info about themselves.

As far as the exported honking American Iron. I know that we ship the monsters that direction, because Paris recently instituted a ban on them. I don't think I would like weaving one of the ugly things through any of the stereotypical european streets, myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]

I think that the GI explanation is rather likely, because don't the Air Force transport person vehicles free of charge for their service personnel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last I checked this service was available to all service members. A retired Marine I work with had his mid-70’s Mercury Cougar shipped over to England while he was stationed over there, then returned it when he came back stateside.

Don’t know how it was shipped over there, but the biggest pain was getting some sort of safety inspected done so he could actually drive it over there. The mistake he made was to go to the first mechanic he found. When this shady guy started nickel & dime’in him to death, he started asking around and found out he was a rip off. Once he got a hold of a more reputable mechanic everything was fine and they enjoyed a bit of celebrity status among the neighbors.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

William

Darth Vader
It's not too uncommon to see what we see as "ordinary" American cars being paraded around England or Europe. Whenever the British magazines show photos of the Chelsea Cruise, there's usually a few pics of people showing off 1978 Mercury Monarchs and Plymouth Volares. Heck, C&SC once ran a test of a 1970s Chevy Chevette (no, definitely not a UK marked Vauxhall, but an actual Chevy Chevette) in their used cars section. I swear to you the thing was selling for the equivalent of $2000.

-William

Bret

Yoda
Now the Chevettes (not to be confused with Corvettes), Monarchs & Volares are just plain wrong on so many levels - I don’t know where to begin. I suppose the next thing you’ll tell me is that 80's Chrysler K-cars (Dodge Aries, LeBarrons etc.) are in vogue too.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

Anyway, I’d be curious exactly how many American vehicles are (or where) sold on dealer lots NEW in Briton. In other words not imported on a individual bases.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Anyway, I’d be curious exactly how many American vehicles are (or where) sold on dealer lots NEW in Briton. In other words not imported on a individual bases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not what you had in mind, but the Ford Model T was very successful in Britain, starting about 1911. Within a few years it owned over the half the low priced car market, although most T's sold there were built there, also. Throughout the 1920's, most cars imported to Britain were American.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Anyway, I’d be curious exactly how many American vehicles are (or where) sold on dealer lots NEW in Briton. In other words not imported on a individual bases...

Boy. We're getting some serious thread-drift here!

Anyway, new Jeep Cherokees (rhd) were sold in Britian and I think the newer replacement to them is too. So are PT Cruisers (but with with left-hookers only). Both are in diesel-form. Also, Chrysler mini-vans are a pretty big sellers (again, lhd only). New lhd Corvettes have been available in the UK for many years.
Drag racing and other forms of American car-culture has grown in the UK in recent years. Along with this, some of the American land-yachts (old Caddies, maybe even Volares and such) have been brought over and car clubs have formed around these cars. It's more of a social, goofy fad-ish thing (just like cruise-clubs in the US).

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
William said: It's not too uncommon to see what we see as "ordinary" American cars being paraded around England or Europe. Whenever the British magazines show photos of the Chelsea Cruise, there's usually a few pics of people showing off 1978 Mercury Monarchs and Plymouth Volares. Heck, C&SC once ran a test of a 1970s Chevy Chevette (no, definitely not a UK marked Vauxhall, but an actual Chevy Chevette) in their used cars section. I swear to you the thing was selling for the equivalent of $2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same thing happens over here in North America as well... Some of the newer "not-sold-over-here" imports that are on the road are eye catching simply because they're unusual. The only difference is that with regulations regarding bringing newer model cars - that weren't sold new here - into the continent are very stringent so few are ever seen.

I remember once talking with a British tourist, at a a local car show next to a friends 1980 Rover SD1 3500. The British man made some comment how most SD1 Rovers were rusty back in England (this was is in decent shape), and he also made a comment about how the car in general wasn't all that special, perhaps spoken as someone who isn't a car enthusiast... But we only got that version of Rover for one year so they are considered to be somewhat more special over here and certainly rare.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I'll take a stab at answering his original question...straight from a VW expert I know here in the Northwest:

"what's to identify? it's a wacked out beetle? Possibly an old 40's beetle (there were a few, very rare 4wd models produced) but I seriously doubt this is one of them, because they had the older body style (this doesn't) and while were jacked up a bit, this is more Baja-style, I think this is just a custom job someone did...."