• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member Intro

SidescreenTR

Hello everyone! My name is Michael and, while I posted this (more or less) on the main New Member forum, I wanted to say hi to the TR folks too.

My first car, back in 1967 or so, was a 1961 TR3A that looked a lot like my avatar. Drove it for about 12 years before it simply refused to be driven any more. Sure wish I had THAT to do over again...I would still have it! (I'm sure you've never heard that story before? :smile:)

I was out of the LBC business until 1999 when the urge hit me and I found a 1959 TR3A driver. I drove the car for a couple of years, replacing, repairing and rebuilding things as I had time...starter, generator, carbs, front suspension, and master cylinder to name a few. Also installed a freebie :smile: overdrive gearbox.

When I bought the car, I knew I was going to have to paint it...ugly color, not original and the paint was cracking on several panels. So, I decided it was time. As of about five years ago,the tub was still on the frame, but everything else was removed and most of the paint was stripped. Unfortunately, life has a habit of getting in the way and I had to stop working on my project. Once things were back on track, I discovered that I had completely lost interest. So, the car, sans paint, has been sitting in my garage for the past 5 years feeling very abandoned. It's only companion has been the flash rust that has formed (surprisingly little though).

Not sure what happened, but a few days ago, something clicked and here I am again. Too bad it clicked in the middle of December - and me in Connecticut with an unheated, uninsulated garage. Can you mig weld in the dead of winter? Sure hope so! If not, surely I can find SOMETHING that can be done in cold weather.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. Just thought I'd introduce myself and let you know that, while I'm new here, I'm not really a noob. That said, I AM a noob at much of the stuff I still have to do...welding, bodywork and paint! Should be a trip!!

It's good to be back! :smile:

Fergie
1959 TR3A
TS53990L(O)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Michael. You're in great company here, and I think you'll enjoy the camaraderie!

Mickey

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
A great place to spend those cold New England days. A warm welcome from the Deep South. pb

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!

Randy

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Michael:
First off welcome to the forum:
To answer your question YES! One can M.I.G. weld almost anywhere with exception to in the wind which blows the shielding gas off of the weld bead. In the cold can present a problem too in that your flow meter {regulator} may want to freeze up and not flow or not flow correctly. Other than those two factors .... I say Have at it!
They do make and sell regulator heaters you can purchase at one of your local welding supply outlets. However .... you may not like the added expense. You could always redneck engineer some type of heat source for your flow meter {regulator} I suppose.
Pssssssssssst one of those 250 watt flood lights clamped nearby and shining on the flow meter will do the trick. If it keeps freezing move the light closer :lol:
Again welcome to the Forum

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to our little slice of Heaven.

I see that you're in CT. I'm in RI and there are several great guys from CT who are here a lot, so you'll get to meet them soon, I'm sure.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Welcome. Its great to have another side-screen enthusiast on board. Keep us up to date with progress on your TR. We love pictures too!!!

OP
SidescreenTR

SidescreenTR

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the warm welcome...it's about the ONLY thing that's warm in Connecticut these days! I can't tell you how jealous I am when I see these pics of flowers blooming, tops down...and boats!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
As I say to all new members.

<span style="font-size: 26pt">Run away before it's too late!</span>

OP
SidescreenTR

SidescreenTR

DNK said:
As I say to all new members.

<span style="font-size: 26pt">Run away before it's too late!</span>

I WAS away...for 20 years, then back again, then away for 5 years, now back yet again. :crazy:

"Those who fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it."

Winston Churchill

He must have hung out down at the pub with Sir John. :smile: