• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Front Wing Beading

Hatman

My TR3 came to me without front fender wing beading. The gaps aren't filled with bondo or anything, but there's no beading as you can see in the photo. Or you can go to www.woundedduc.net/TR3 to see a larger photo.

PC110020-250x187.jpg

With much of the front end apart, it seems like a good time to install the beading. What I can't seem to find anywhere is what that installation entails. Anybody care to share their experience? Must the fenders be removed? If so, how difficult is that (and getting them back on and aligned properly?)

Thanks in advance.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I just loosened the fender bolts, positioned the tabs next to the bolts and pushed the tabs into place between the fender and the body/apron. With a little gentle encouragement from a rubber mallet where necessary. If you have existing holes for the screws along the bonnet opening, you'll want to put those in before tightening the fender bolts.

Easier IMO to do it with the apron in place.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
You can see the beading on the carb side of the engine bay where the curved side strip is secured to the inner vertical flat of the fender with 4 round-head screws. When I ordered my wing beading in 1988 when I was doing the restoration, I don't know if the beadings they shipped were for a TR4 with a different curve or if they were for a TR3 and they just had the wrong curve. So I had to slide out the original ones, sand off the rust, re-spray them aluminium colour and slide them onto the newly purchased ones. The one you see on the far side is the original one, now over 50 years old from new. The same on this closer side.

Attachments

• 14649.jpg
    14649.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 198

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Don,
I don't know if things have improved in recent years, but about 10 to 15 years ago the beading for the TR3A did have the wrong curvature along the bonnet opening. The only option, if you didn't have your original one to hand, was to cut slots in the galvanised blade. Hopefully the ones available these days are a better fit.

Mark,
If you have weather anything like we do here in Scotland, I would recommend pouring liberal quantities of anti-rust wax into the seams before slotting the beading in.
Nick

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Nick - The beading I bought about 2004 for the BRG TR3A that I restored had the correct curve for those side strips. I have seen several very nicely restored TRs where the restorer merely sniped the side strip and it looked horrible.

Attachments

• 14664.jpg
    14664.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 137