• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3-A or an MGA?

198686d

Jedi Trainee
If, trying to decide between these two classics, which one is the best to own and drive (est. 2,000 mi. p/yr)? No project cars or barn finds. I know what "good ones" cost and want a car at that level.

thanks,

dave in st. louis

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dave,
As I've a 56 TR3 I'm prejudiced.
The TR3's strong points are it's torque/HP and speed compared to the MGA. The MGA's strength is it handles better (R&P steering).
Maint is straightforward on the TR3 and the motors are known for their robust nature. I've driven mine more than you plan (10k in two years) without ever being roadside.
The electricals on the TR3 are easy too (nice considering the Lucas origins).
As to looks the MGA is a nice looking car with great lines the TR3 is something you like (rough purposeful) or you don't.
I've had mine going on 5 years now and like it more all of the time. Really has a personality.
Luck

alfa33047

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Having owned both an MGA and Triumph TR-3s and 4s, Nothing compares to the TR-3. TR-3s are the coolest old car that there is. The cut down doors, the unmistakable exhaust note, and the looks and attention you will get. The only other cars that I have owned that got just as much attention were an A.C. Cobra(real) and a XK-120 roadster. If you decide to buy an MGA you will miss out on a very unique experience that you can only find in a TR-3. Just ask anybody who has ever owned a nice TR-3 or someone who has a nice TR-3 driver what they think. I know that they will agree with me. I have found that the members of Triumph clubs are motorheads and are usually very knowledgable about their cars and are very helpful if you need help. As an old car guy (62 years old) who has been into sports cars all my life, a TR-3 is my recommendation for the best sports car money car buy. Bill C. Az.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
He he ... kind of a silly question to ask in the Triumph forum! Of COURSE we think Triumphs are better
grin.gif

I'd suggest a test drive in each one. I think you'll conclude, as I did, that there is simply no comparison.

Many years ago, a buddy and I were driving down the coast of FL, he in his MGA and me in my TR3A. Neither of us brought a top, of course, and we could see a big rainstorm blowing in towards us. We both floored it to run away from the rain ... he got wet, I didn't
grin.gif

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm a lifelong, diehard Triumph guy; no question about that. But I'm also a lifelong, diehard British Car guy! I honestly don't think the two cars are truly comparable; rather, I think it really boils down to what appeals to you!

Car for car, though, I've worked on both and would prefer to work on the TR3. (Ever tried to set or change points in an MGA? Try to balance a couple brand-new 6v batteries on rusted-out brackets? Fussed underneath the rear of the MG trying to get the SU fuel pump going?) :smile:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Andrew Mace said:
Fussed underneath the rear of the MG trying to get the SU fuel pump going?) :smile:
Driven down the road with the battery cover off, so you can reach back and thump the pump when it stops clicking ?

Those wooden floorboards were fun too, when you mounted the exhaust too close ...

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
You definitely need to drive a healthy example of each - you'll know right away which you prefer.

I'm lucky/dumb enough to have both and they are actually pretty different cars. The MGA feels more delicate, and lighter whereas it feels like you could pound nails with the TR3. I think a lot of it might depend on how you intend to use the car, I can see touring in an MGA but rallying a TR3.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the MGA is harder to get parts for - it is pretty darn well supported and there is a fair amount of tuning you can do including dropping in an 1800 engine w/out having to hack the car up. Steering is sharper, and it rides better. The electrical system isn't really any better/worse than a TR3 and I'd strongly suggest that the MGA drive train is robust if looked after.

All that said, the TR3 is probably more visceral fun...

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tdskip said:
including dropping in an 1800 engine w/out having to hack the car up.
As opposed to a TR3, where you can take the original engine up to almost 2400 just by choosing drop-in rebuild parts.

And the TR has ordinary tube shocks in front, while the MGA has those funky lever shocks where the levers are also the upper A-arms.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
198686d said:
If, trying to decide between these two classics, which one is the best to own and drive (est. 2,000 mi. p/yr)? No project cars or barn finds. I know what "good ones" cost and want a car at that level.

thanks,

dave in st. louis

Nothin wrong with a nice 74 Pinto.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
I just sneaked over to the MG forum and I didn't read any convincing arguments over there!!!
I think the MGA is a beautiful looking car, but I am someone who enjoys driving and working on my TR rather than polishing it and showing it.
They are both great classic cars, so it has to boil down to your personal taste.
Certainly the advice to look for the best you can afford and choose good bodywork before good mechanicals is the way to go.
If you do go for a TR try to find one with overdrive. It will make long journeys so much more pleasant.
WolseleyClubofIrelandAnnualTour2004319.jpg

V

vagt6

The MG is a more comfortable car to drive and easier ingress/egress. No, I <span style="font-style: italic">didn't</span> say it was a more "girly" car (but some folks may). :lol:

And as usual, the Triumph is more of a driver's car. However, both unique and beautiful automobiles and literally guaranteed to turn heads wherever you go. You really can't go wrong either way.

I'll take a Triumph over an MG any day, simply because I've owned more Triumphs over the years. Having said that, I think the MGA is more attractive from a styling point of view.

But if you want what is possibly one of the planet's purest driving experiences, get the TR-3, I'd say.

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Dave,
I faced this This same decision earlier this year. I drove both and while I really liked the looks of the MGA, the TR3 was a better fit - literally! I need legroom and I found the TR3 interior fit me better.
Of course you may not have this challenge.
John
Carbondale, IL

Safari

Country flag
I own a TR6 and a 58 MGA. I have owned a TR4 and TR3 small mouth. I like both, the driving experience is very different at least for me. TR3 more power more torque and not quite as refined. For get up and go, go TR. MGA little more refined mot much just a little, under powered. The TR will keep up with traffic better. Out of all the cars I liked my TR4 the best of all a lot of the TR3 traits with roll up windows. The cut down doors on a TR3 are fun but can make you think about safety, not that a TR4 or 6 is much safer. MGA always advertised "Safety Fast", really not much difference.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Safari raises a great point - The TR4 is all that the 3 is, but with more creature comforts that the MGA might offer.

By the way, Safari - the wife and I both are from Louisiana; Shreveport and N.O.

Mickey

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Safari said:
MGA always advertised "Safety Fast", really not much difference.
Which was kind of ironic, considering that Triumph got front disc brakes first, which were a big improvement in safety, IMO.

Safari

Country flag
You are sure living a a beautiful area now.

I have to add the hood bump on the TR4 just makes the car.