• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Windscreen

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
OK, after successfully installing the glass in the frame, it's time to put in the rubber pieces in the bottom and top of the frame. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get the bottom piece in...the one that mates up to the scuttle. There's just no way that I can get that "T"-shaped section to go into the groove at the bottom of the windscreen. I tried some silicon spray lube and tried to cram and shove it in with various screwdrivers etc., but it's sort of like the proverbial blivet. So, is there any secret to getting this sucker in there?? BTW, the piece came from Moss. Did they make it with too much rubber on that "T"-section??

I'm going to relax now with a Westmalle Dubbel. :thirsty:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh boy, do I remember doing that on mine!

As I recall, I used liquid soap after putting the seal in the refrigerator to shrink it down a bit. Be sure also that the channel in the frame is completely clean and full of soap. Two person job, this, as I recall...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Also, once you do get it in place, you should find that it curls back under the frame; that's as it should be. You'll probably want to use some cord or some other soft "tool" to pull it out as you snug down on the stanchions.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
ISTR I had some luck using a pair of pliers to grip the rubber just above the slot, and pull it along. But after just a fraction of an inch, I'd have to stop and push the rest of the strip up behind it.

I also seem to recall swearing that next time, I'd try putting it in sideways rather than pulling along the slot. Limited experiments seemed to show that with a suitable blunt instrument, you can lay one edge into the slot and then force the other edge in without ruining the gasket. But I never tried getting through the whole thing without perforating it, so I don't know how practical that is.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
My recollection (this was somewhere in the prior century) was that I stretched it as I pulled it in and this caused it to be thinner and thus move thru the slot better.

D

DougF

I want to say I used a wide blade screw driver and pressed it in. It doesn't stand out in memory, so it must have gone smoothly.

PeterK

Yoda
I sprayed the groove full of WD40 when I did mine. Make sure to pay attention of the angle of the Tee on the rubber. It should be installed to angle the flat rubber rearwards and thus will be folded forward when you install the windscreen. This keeps it tight to the cowl after install and will seal much better (had to re-do mine the 1st time!)

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Sometimes you just have to give in and let the professionals do it. I tried installing mine and after several hours of ranting and raving, I called the professionals. They came out and after about an hour (which originally they said would take 15 minutes) they had it installed. The installer also told me to never call him again if I ever wanted this installed again. He said it was one of the most difficult installs he had ever done. Call in the professionals and put your mind at ease.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
PeterK said:
I sprayed the groove full of WD40 when I did mine. Make sure to pay attention of the angle of the Tee on the rubber. It should be installed to angle the flat rubber rearwards and thus will be folded forward when you install the windscreen. This keeps it tight to the cowl after install and will seal much better (had to re-do mine the 1st time!)

Blake Hays, Silverghost's brother, told me about the direction of the angle before I did mine and this undoubtedly saved me some irritation. One would naturally think that the angle would follow the installed angle, but this is backwards.

Thanks, Blake!

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yup! Mine's in there backwards now. Gotta fix that this Spring. It's been no degrees (0) around here lately. NO fun in the garage!

I just stuffed the top of the T into the slot, bit-by-bit, with a flat tip screwdriver. One-man job. Probably took 20 - 30 minutes. I didn't find deep frustration in the job, other than that I'm going to have to repeat it soon...

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Art,

After you successfully get the seal installed, let is sit for a few days before trimming the excess off. The rubber will relax and any stretched sections will contract.