• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Breakdown causes?

T

Tinster

This will sound like a silly topic but it is serious
for me since I have no other TR6 to compare.

My car breaks down down primarily due to to failed coils,
failed fuel pumps, ignitions parts, failed condensers.
I carry lots of spare ignition parts and fuel pumps.

I am wondering what are other weak coponents contribute
to breakdowns? I will carry 2 or 3 of these in my trunk!

Only once did I have a wheel fall off at speed..

thnks,

dale

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I have AAA Premier 200 mile towing so the spares I take on board fall into 2 categories:

For trips w/i the tow range I only take things I would repair/replace roadside, such as ignition components (all of them), electric fuel pump, hoses (all of them), 'fan' belt, ZS diaphram, assorted wire, etc. I assume other items such as a failed water pump would mean a tow home. I can drive 200 miles w/o a generator so that too is omitted.

For trips beyond 200 miles I take the water pump + pulley, a mech fuel pump, generator, control box, U-joints, etc. on the assumption that I could swap these components in a motel parking lot (hopefully at a Triumph event with lots of willing & competent help).

That said, my only major breakdown was not covered by the above -- a failed rear wheel bearing seal that caused the brake shoes to fall apart.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Well, you DO have a spare tire in the trunk, don't you?[/QUOTE]

Actually two. Wendy can't sit in the passenger seat anymore.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dale, over the years I have had all you speak of but of all, a wiring problem can give be the hardest to have something to repair it with. If yout switch goes bad or a wire burns up, I always keep a 3 foot 12 gauge wire with alligator clips on the end to bridge the gap, say from positive batt end to positive side of the coil, if your switch goes bad, you can still push the car off. You could put a fuse in line if it makes you feel better.

Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
trrdster2000 said:
...I always keep a 3 foot 12 gauge wire with alligator clips on the end to bridge the gap...

I finally made a pair of leads (red & black w/alligator clips) long enough to reach from any where on the car to anywhere on the car.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Wayne,

Don't let dale fool you with his dismissal of his abilities. He single handedly installed the complete Dan Masters wiring harness and added many new grounds. His electrical system is probably better than 95% of our cars.

And I know that he has 10, 12 and 14 gauge wire and connectors to match somewhere in that trunk of trunks......

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
It would be interesting to know if those strange looking spark plugs that you use (according to your pictures) are placing too high of a voltage demand on the other ignition components.
These old timey engines really don't require anything more than a good copper electrode spark plug.