• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How to take a shower in the garage

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
There are other ways of course, but this worked well for me earlier today;

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step one</span> - Jack the TR6 up way high to remove fulcrum/wishbone arms

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step two </span>- Make sure it is on jack stands solidly

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step three</span> - Slide under the car to gain access to nyloc bolts holding fulcrum/wishbone arms in place

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step four</span> - Make mental note that the bottom radiator hose to radiator down pipe seems a bit wobbly. Decide to fix said wobbly connection after removing fulcrum/wishbone arms.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step five</span> - Insert wrench between bracket and down-pipe, start wrenching

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step six</span> - Wait for the pressure from Step five to loosen the hose, ideally while wearing a good shirt or fleece,bonus points for aiming at upper torso or head.

Rinse, repeat as necessary!

19_again

Jedi Warrior
C'mon Tom, at least Dale gives us great pix to follow along. We demand that you do it again but this time with a camera in hand, preferably an expensive one!!
I tell ya, ya just can't beat this tips at Basil's forums, LOLOLOLOLOL

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
After being soaked at least twenty times over the years, I still don't know what is worse, oil or antifreeze.

Yes, I do remember now. It's gasoline or diesel fuel. Both smell much worse and for a lot longer than the other two.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I wish I had a camera on me when this happened - nothing like laughing at yourself. Probably good there isn't a sound recording - kids would have learned a couple new words. LOL.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
It's gasoline or diesel fuel. Both smell much worse and for a lot longer than the other two.
A little bit of gear oil goes a long way in the smellin department, too.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tdskip said:
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step six</span> - Wait for the pressure from Step five to loosen the hose, ideally while wearing a good shirt or fleece,bonus points for aiming at upper torso or head.
At least it wasn't hot!

Few years ago I managed to get scalding coolant sprayed up my jacket sleeve, then in my face.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
tdskip said:
At least it wasn't hot!

Few years ago I managed to get scalding coolant sprayed up my jacket sleeve, then in my face.

Yikes! Good point.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
MeInTheShower.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
ever try to fit yer car in the shower?

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
once upon a time i saw a mg mechanic sprayed with hot coolant, and he screamed "I don't know why they call that s--- coolant, it's just as hot as water"
Emmett

D

DougF

Yep Brosky, got a face and mouth full of gasoline. Got it in the eyes and nose. It was very painful for a good while. Burned all the skin around the eyes. Didn't do much for the olfactory either.
I don't recommend it.

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
I remember working on my Brother's truck to help out with his heater problem. GM deemed to see fit to make the heater core to be the highest portion of the coolant system. I used an old trick of pulling one hose, plugging the hole then rev the motor. I got doused!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, the worst oil smell ever. How could I have forgotten?

When I was apprenticing (over 40 years ago), I got one of my first chances to touch a wrench to a car after the first four months of cleaning parts for the senior techs and relining brake shoes. Anyhow, I was all excited because I was told I was going to work on an Olds 442 posi-traction rear end. (First hint should have been that I knew nothing about them at that time!!)

What I found out was, that I was allowed to remove the cover and drain the posi fluid (which stinks to high heaven when hot and burned out), then flush out the rest with kerosene in a spray gun under high air pressure. I should have known when I was sent to the back shop to do the job, there was a reason. Have you ever aimed a water hose into an inverted trash can lid and watched it shoot back at you? Try that horizontally at six feet up in the air!!

Luckily, I was told to wear safety glasses, but I was a mess. I stunk so bad that NO ONE would eat lunch near me. I did have another set of clothes for going home, or my car would have been ruined from the smell. Kerosene and GM Posi fluid. UGGHHHHH...........

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
To quote Satch Carlson who used to have a column in Autoweek

"Antifreeze has to be one of the ickyist substances known to man"

and I think I agree with him.

IanF

Jedi Trainee
poolboy said:
Brosky said:
It's gasoline or diesel fuel. Both smell much worse and for a lot longer than the other two.
A little bit of gear oil goes a long way in the smellin department, too.

Oh god yes... I spilled most of a tranny's worth of gear oil into the back of my station wagon many years ago... even replacing the carpet only partially helped... Fortunately, when I traded the car in, it was on a cool day...

On the coolant shower front, another real winner is draining the coolant out of the block in a BMW I6. The plug is buried up behind the exhaust manifold with access blocked by one of the O2 sensors. Let's just say that a 3'x4' drip pan is nowhere near big enough to catch the deluge splatter... I eventually figured out that if you removed the sensor, covered the hole you could wedge a large funnel up there that would catch most of the coolant exiting the block. Since that car, draining the coolant from any of our other cars has been easy... although I'm probably going to buy a vacuum set-up soon.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
71MKIV said:
To quote Satch Carlson who used to have a column in Autoweek

"Antifreeze has to be one of the ickyist substances known to man"

and I think I agree with him.

Hahahahahaha! I think it's a tie between antifreeze and brake fluid. We hates brake fluid. It's tricksy.

R

RonMacPherson

I quit giving any credence to Satch Carlson after he was convicted of child molestation...

He was a gifted, talented writer. But......