• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Holy Cow!

AweMan

Jedi Knight
A bare set of used side curtain frames on ebay currently at $152.00.
NO I don`t need em ..... Mine are wedge mount anyway.
One question I do have however is. The original side screens for my car have the lift the dot fasteners {four on each door} and sliding widows. The lift the dot fasteners attach to the same little studs as the tonneau cover does.
I say they are original, But .... when we got the car in 1963 it had these side curtains with it. They could have been changed to a newer style. Never the less they are wedge mounts, wedges attached to the curtain frame via screws. I guess what I am getting at is, advertised in the Moss Tr catalog these curtains supposedly originally had fixed windows and zippered flaps. Which I guess is correct {according to Moss} BUT .... I personally do not like the look of these fixed window, zippered flap side curtains, I find them quite HOMELY!
Is it possible that the side screens I mentioned above {sliding window with four lift the dot fasteners, wedge mount were somehow O.E.M. equipment on my 56 {licensed in 57} Tr-3
Anyone?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Re-read the Moss catalog again, they only say the fixed windows "may be used" for all wedge mount. In spite of their bragging about "most authentic", I believe most of the wedge mount sidecurtains were as you describe, with sliding windows and no zipper.

The VTR production history says sliding windows started at TS5255; the TRA judging standard says TS8637. Either way, it was long before the Dzus mount curtains, at TS28826 (both sources).

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
According to Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A", what you have is correct for your year...Sliding window, lift-the-dot fasteners, and wedge mounts. If you have a '56, the commission number should be below TS15601, which I see it is.

BTW, according to Piggott, your car was made in Aug of '56.

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
My 59 had what you have, Aweman. As I remember. That said, that was a loooong time ago and my memory isn't all that good. But I do remember the wedge, and the sliding window, and the lift-a-dot fasteners. Not necessarily in the order. I also had an early TR2 before that. That is when it really gets foggy. I do remember that top on the TR3 was surprisingly weather resistant. I also remember with glee the ability of that little sucker to slide through a corner with ease. Ah, memories.

OP
AweMan

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Thanks Guys:
Although 52 years have taken their toll on my original side curtains, Now I will feel comfortable rebuilding them to their original glory.
And yes Tr6Bill My top and side curtains as I remember were also quite "weather resistant" they seemed to fit rather nicely and my hopes are that with a new top and side curtain covering and windows I can achieve the same snug fit. AND .... although I never tried to "slide" my car through any corners I do know it corners like a demon possessed!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]BTW, according to Piggott, your car was made in Aug of '56.[/QUOTE]
And that ..... Martx-5 could explain why my title says 1957.
Thanks again

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
My 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO) was delivered with the wedge type sidecurtains with the 4 lift-the-dot fasteners and the chromed door supports as the TR2s and the TR3s. As Randall points out, there were 1337 more TR3As after mine to have this configuation. I prefer these to the later Dzus type.

Attachments

• 14185.jpg
    14185.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 271

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Don Elliott said:
I prefer these to the later Dzus type.
Any particular reason? Just look better, more functional, etc?

Not that it matters much, TS39781LO didn't have either kind of mount for many years, and I never missed them enough to actually put them back on
grin.gif

toysrrus

Yoda
"HOLY COW" AweMan,

You actually have the Orig. car from `63!! Thats quite impressive to say the least!!

Did we see some pics or did I miss something?

Sure wish I had one!

Regards, Russ

PS: I still say; You have the best signature ever! 6mo. away from SS & counting down!!

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Russ - I've have owned my 1958 TR3A since I bought it brand new. I was 20 years old and I paid cash with the money I had saved working at Pratt & Whitney in Gauge and Tool Inspection after completing high school.

I'm still 20 when I drive it. I've driven a little more than 100,000 miles since I completed the total body-off restoration in 1990.

Attachments

• 14206.jpg
    14206.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 181
OP
AweMan

AweMan

Jedi Knight
toysrrus said:
"HOLY COW" AweMan,

You actually have the Orig. car from `63!! Thats quite impressive to say the least!!

Did we see some pics or did I miss something?

Sure wish I had one!

Regards, Russ

PS: I still say; You have the best signature ever! 6mo. away from SS & counting down!!
No Russ: I havn`t posted any pics of the entire car { it is currently in bits and pieces } and there is another reason too!
It is buried in my garage under boxes and boxes of stuff. I have been slowly but slowly rebuilding things, so far the m.c. has been sent to Apple for refurb, and returned. The heater assembly has been dis assembled, cleaned and repainted, lubed and re assembled. the clutch brake pedal assembly has been sand blasted and re painted. The windscreen wiper motor has been refurbished cleaned and re painted the wiper xmissions and cable assembly has been cleaned re furbished and re painted.
Parts ordered and received:
New tail light assemblys, new park turn light assemblys, new control head {Adj Steering wheel}, New wiring harnesses.
new glove box assembly, new rubber gaskets through out {sp tire cover, trunk lid, doors, ect.} some better windscreen stanchions {from Evil bay} and many new various other bolts nuts & screws. New trunk lock with Keys, new g box lock with keys.
New Left rear fender. Lots of more stuff to accumulate before I can start re assembly.
The body tub has been stripped rust repaired {for the most part} and primed. I did however discover some rust through in the battery box this summer so I will have to get another and replace that. The frame and suspension is refurbished and complete. This winter I am going to attempt a home brew side screen refurbishment. I will post pics as I go along on those {I hope}.
Ordering parts is pretty painful on a fixed income so things aren`t going along as rapidly as I would have hoped. BUT .... slowly but slowly .... I`m getting there!
As I said I have owned the car sence 1963 I have rebuilt almost everything on it at one time or another. This time it is a frame off.
I currently have another refurb job {1990 chev silverado blazer} going on in my garage and once I get rid of that {next spring} I can get the Tr into that space and then the pics will flow {Hopefully}.