• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paintwork

G

Hi, I would just like to know what you guys think is better.

Is a classic car better keeping to its origanal paint colour or do you think its better to bring it "up to date" with newer paints?
Also, if i was to get a respray to a newer paint type
(eg Peurlesque (2 tone) metalic white to metalic pink) would it lower the value of the car?

Thanks
Nick

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]

Is a classic car better keeping to its origanal paint colour or do you think its better to bring it "up to date" with newer paints?
Also, if i was to get a respray to a newer paint type
(eg Peurlesque (2 tone) metalic white to metalic pink) would it lower the value of the car?
Thanks
Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
It would be the only up to date thing on the car. A newer paint type might raise the value of a beater. It would definitely lower the value on an accurately restored true classic. Personal choice depending on the particular car I guess.
D

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...Is a classic car better keeping to its origanal paint colour or do you think its better to bring it "up to date" with newer paints?...

[/ QUOTE ]
It really depends on what you mean by "better". It's different for every individual person and each specific car. It's quite a personal thing.

Some people are passionate about originality. They often enter shows or compete in concours events. To them the original color is mandatory. For a megabuck classic or historic vehicle the wrong paint color can lose trophies and reduce auction bids by many thousands of dollars. Someone who thrives on the connection to history will accept nothing other than original.

Those exist but they aren't exactly common. Much more typical are cars with paint in bad shape that will be worth more with any new finish. There are also lots of cars that are worth less than the cost of a decent paint job. Does it make sense to worry whether painting a car will reduce its resale value from $2500 to $2000 if you're spending $3000 to get it painted? Do you really want to spend money now on a color you don't like just in case you might possibly, someday maybe get a few extra bucks for it somewhere down the line?

What if a car would be worth say, $15000 and a wrong color brings it down a couple of grand? Do you want to spend your money to drive a $15000 car in a color you don't like? Did you buy the car to please somebody else? Somebody you don't know yet? Somebody who isn't driving the car now and won't be for years?

Many people just want a car that looks really good. For them any paint color/type is fine as long as it's attractive and well applied.

I always suggest people carefully consider their own particular car and their own personal goals.

PC.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...if i was to get a respray to a newer paint type

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. So will driving it. So will letting kids climb into it and all over it at car shows.

Many of the things we do with are cars may lower their dollar value even as they add to our enjoyment and personal value we attach to the car.

If you are restoring a car with an eye to reselling then paint color is a big consideration -- but unless it is a truly rare, historic car I see no reason not to take the view that it is your car to enjoy as you wish.

BTW - there is a TR3A in California with a paint scheme similar to what you describe. Nice change from the usual line of red ones (e.g. me). I once saw a flocked red & yellow MGA... after that all else seems tame.

William

Darth Vader
Depends on the car, at least up to a point. I wouldn't repaint, say, a Bugatti Atlantic Elektron coupe in the color scheme you describe. But a 1978 MGB, or something similarly common? Maybe.
But, I'll tell you this cautionary tale. Somewhere in England there is a used TVR Cerbera that just will not sell. TVR, mind you, will paint and trim your new car to almost any specification you want. The first owner of the car in question had it painted in the colors of his favorite football team-colors that are magenta and teal. The Cerbera was eventually traded off, and the dealer could not shift it.

So, the more way out the color scheme, even if you love it, may make things difficult when the time comes to sell.

-Wm.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'd generally agree with all that's been said.

Unless a car is extremely valuable and/or has historic value it isn't a big deal to re-paint it to non-original colours. If you're doing a restoration and plan to keep the car for a long time it's nice to make it pleasurable and personalize it, and if that means painting it a colour to make you enjoy it better, why not...

As for that certain TVR over in England... one has be at least a little careful and have some consideration.

William

Darth Vader
I wish I could remember the name of the team that TVR was painted after....its something like Aston Rovers or Tottenham Hotspur or one of those similarly weird English premier league names that sound like bit characters from an Avengers episode than places. Magenta and Teal, anyone?

From the department of way out paint schemes that would make a worthless car valuable: Way back in the early eighties, through a catalog only available in the main gift shop at Wrigley Field, you could special order one of those Toyota minivans, in white, with blue pinstripes, and big Cubs logos. Not decals, mind, but actually painted on so's to last a long time (or longer than any of those Toyota minivans lasted before tinworm got to them). I do not know if any were ever sold. But, if one was out there, it'd make an essentially worthless car worth a bit more, no?

-Wm.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I could remember the name of the team that TVR was painted after....its something like Aston Rovers or Tottenham Hotspur or one of those similarly weird English premier league names that sound like bit characters from an Avengers episode than places. Magenta and Teal, anyone?

-Wm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, gloves are off.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Aston is an area in Birmingham and the team was named after the Villa Cross in the area. The club was formed in 1874, when organised sport over here took the form of shooting at indigenous people. Arsenal were named after Woolwich Arsenal, in London, where the arms and munitions were kept. Tottenham, which is a borough of London, were named after Harry Hotspur, a Shakespearean character who actually did live (Sir Henry Percy), in the 14th century, named "Hotspur" by the Scots because of his devastating speed in battle. Makes a change from naming your teams after furry animals or articles of clothing.

Fifteen-all, I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Henri

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi, I would just like to know what you guys think is better.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...I've heard said...in the case of your car...it should be painted in a color that pleases you...not some code...or someone else's version of what's right...if it's value that you are after...then you are painting it for someone else's pleasure...unless one of the recommended colors fancy's you...one piece of "add vice"...do paint it pink...yikes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif