• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Disposal of noxious stuff

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
I suspect I'm not alone in having accumulated a shelf full of carb cleaner (3 cans? Why do I have 3 cans?), solvents, oil based paints, and aerosol cans of whatever.

I take oil, gas, and most of the water based fluids to our local transfer station but they won't take much of the other stuff. They also won't take empty gas cylinders such as propane & MAPP gas cylinders.

Oil based paint, for example, is ok if it's dried. That's really only an option if you have an empty can already.

We'll be moving in a couple of months and I don't want to take all this with me. There's a once-a-year hazardous waste day shortly after we move, of course.

I've looked at state agencies etc on the net with no luck yet & I plan to call the state environmental folks but in the meantime - any ideas?

I realize that municipal rules & facilities vary but wonder how people typically deal with this.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We're somewhat fortunate here in Albuquerque. The city contracts with a local chem company and they will take any and all such waste. I usually make a trip over there once a year to dispose of old paint cans, carb cleaner, Anti-freeze, etc.

Bret

Yoda
Everyplace is different it seems. Here we have two “Dump Days” a year that allow you to get rid of stuff that the trash guys won’t haul away or not without an extra fee. Beds & box springs, household appliances etc. But we also have a local hazardous waist disposal & recycling site that is open year round to residents. They accept paint, antifreze, oil and pool chemicals etc. The only thing they need from you is proof that you’re really a resident and not business or a contractor.

I suggest that if you don’t see a listing for “recycling” that you start by calling the local company that handles your regular trash pick-up. If they don’t handle it themselves it’s a good guess that they’ll certainly know who does. Of course if they charge for that “special” pick-up they might not share that information.

In that case try calling the local city offices and/or the Fire Department. Some states (Texas) have oil recycling pick-ups actually in the Fire House. Besides these are the guys called in for hazardous chemical spills so they should be able to point you in the direction you need to go.

Good Luck,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Everyplace is different it seems. <snipped>
I suggest that if you don’t see a listing for “recycling” that you start by calling the local company that handles your regular trash pick-up......

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right - everyplace is different so there's likely no general answer. Re the company handling my regular trash pick up - that would be me. Around here, the transfer station (previously known as the "dump") is the only place to find out what's going on in town. Every 2 weeks I load up the pickup and run over there to talk with the locals.

I called town hall to no avail. Good suggestion about calling the fire dept, though.

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Give the local Maine Dept of Environmental Protection a call...

[/ QUOTE ]
Mark - thanks for the suggestion & web site. The DEP was a big help - problem solved.

I should have thought of them first, but somehow "DEP" always seemed like one of those state agencies to be avoided.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
John;

I use to work for the New Brunswick Dept of the Environment. There were many people there willing to give good practical answers to such questions, and other who didn't know "practical" was a word. Just never give your name when you ask a question /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
The paint issue is relatively easy... Just add sand! It will quickly dry up the paint so it can be safely tossed into the trash can. You can thank my local painter friend for that tip.

OP
coldplugs

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
The paint issue is relatively easy... Just add sand! It will quickly dry up the paint so it can be safely tossed into the trash can. You can thank my local painter friend for that tip.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's pretty much what they said (they suggested cat litter). Somehow I thought paint was more of a problem than that. Sand is cheaper & more plentiful than Speedy Dry so I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Texas_Cicada

I have always had good luck getting my local quick-change oil place to take stuff off my hands. As long as the amounts are not too big (e.g. - where they impact how much they pay to have the stuff disposed of) they have always allowed me to dump my nasty stuff in with theirs'. As for the dilema of having to dispose of stuff before a move, you could always do what the previous owners of my last two houses have done...they left their nasty stuff behind for me to deal with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

TR250

Freshman Member
Not sure where you are in Maine, but here in Scarborough the Town has a HAZMAT day every April, other than that there are specific locations (auto repair shops) that are designated as drop-off locations for things like waste oil, antifreeze, etc.
Try calling the local NAPA and asking if they have a lead for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif