• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

sport coils

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
hey guys:
I just bought a pertronics electronic ignition set, and the info sheet says 3 + ohms for a four cyl.
I want to optimize my spark output and be able to reset my plugs at .032.
I can use a non external resistor coil, or use a resistor coil, and achieve the recommended 3 ohms, but does this provide the higher spark potential?
What's so special about the sport coil, and what would you'll suggest I use?
Thanks for the help,
Emmett

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I wish they'd fix that article! I've a lot of respect for Dan Masters, but he was simply mistaken on an important point : Lucas Sports coils are available in both flavors, external ballast required and no ballast required.
https://www.minimania.com/web/Item/DLB110/InvDetail.cfm

To answer your question, Emmett, it's not whether the coil requires an external ballast or not that makes the difference. To get more voltage, you need a higher ratio coil, like the Lucas Sports coil or the Pertronix Flame Thrower. I tend to favor the latter option just because it's from the same maker (and because I've heard stories of defective Lucas Sports coils), but I doubt it makes any real difference.

BTW, TRF has the Flame Thrower coils on sale, in either ballast or not, chrome or black.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Randall, that deal about the Lucas Sports Coil may be because of the Moss catalog and maybe some others.
Moss has it listed as part # 143-200 and in the description says"Works with non-ballasted ignition systems only."
I haven't seen an alternate ballasted model in their catalog.
I had a VB catalog handy. It pretty much says the same thing "...... resistive cable should be removed."
Makes me wonder.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
poolboy said:
Randall, that deal about the Lucas Sports Coil may be because of the Moss catalog and maybe some others.
Could well be. TRF doesn't list the ballast version either, and you're probably right that VB doesn't either.

But a vendor saying "This is what we have." seems a lot different to me than a third party saying "They all work like this."

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Emmett,

I recently purchased a coil direct from Pertronix to go with their electronic ignition that I also bought. Here is a link to their website and a page showing coil offerings and prices:

https://www.shopatron.com/index/591.0.9435.0.0.0.0

here is their chart of coils with various potential voltages offered:

https://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/flame/coils/chart.aspx

The cost of shipping to me in Hawaii was $8.50 via USPS in a flat rate carton.

As Randall points out there are two Lucas sport coils, here are model numbers:

Lucas DLB105 - A high performance 12V Lucas ignition coil.

Lucas DLB110 - A high performance 12V Lucas ignition coil for use with 1.6 ohm ballast resistor.

Also consider that as the required potential increases to cross the wider spark plug gap, the other parts of the ignition system need to handle that increased voltage also.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
MGTF1250Dave said:
Also consider that as the required potential increases to cross the wider spark plug gap, the other parts of the ignition system need to handle that increased voltage also.
Indeed, I believe many rotor failures can be traced to the use of high output coils combined with either larger plug gap or a bad plug wire. And AFAIK no one makes a 40,000 volt rotor for our LBCs.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Indeed, I believe many rotor failures can be traced to the use of high output coils combined with either larger plug gap or a bad plug wire. And AFAIK no one makes a 40,000 volt rotor for our LBCs.
For the record, I'm with you and MGTFDave on that.

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
Rotor failures, IMHO, are from crappy rotors. Too much carbon in the plastic, and a rivet installed in very close proximity to the metal grounding clip at the shaft. This allows a very short path of low resistance.

All coils are not created equal. I prefer the Epoxy fille coils because they have far fewer failures. I've seen MANY reports of failed oil filled coils - both Lucas and Pertronix. The Pertronix #40611 epoxy filled coil and the Bosch Blue coil are the only ones I will sell at this point. Use the internally ballasted coil or risk a significant voltage drop before the coil with an external ballast.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Jeff, is there a coil that you recommend for those of us who want to retain the ballast resistor wire going to the coil ? Thanks.