• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine Color options

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Has anyone seen or painted an MGB engine a color other than Black or Burgundy? Black is cool but just not really exciting when you pop the hood.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The engine for Jerri's Glacier White '70 GT is bright red!!

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Any pics? Purists look away now.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'll get a couple next time I go out to the garage with a camera....probably Sunday.

I've friend with a BRG TR4A...he painted the block a shiny Battle Ship Grey. Looked great..and had the added bonus of being able to track oil leaks.

John Moore painted the block of his Tartan Red MGB a Healey Green (similar to the MGC). It, too looks great.

Years ago there was an enthusiast of Scottish descent who lived in the Chicagoland area.

His TD was painted red plaid....his engine block to match.

What colour is you MGB? Paint the block a contrasting colour that still maintains some compliment. I think it would look sharp!

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
No rush. Just looking to see what's out there. I've decided to built my first engine and thought I might jazz up a few things. Maybe even painting some of the applied part a different color as well. This is not an original car and not keeping it that way or stock. Black everything is well...dark. My pulley and fan are yellow but it needs some flavor to it.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
The battle ship greys not a bad idea and it would pop in a darker bay. Black looks great in the lighter color engine bays but really blends in with the darker colors.

Going to have to watch this thread as I'm getting my engine back from the machine shop monday or tuesday and will have to paint it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think Stewart hit the nail on the head. To me it would depend on the surrounding color. I do think Healey Green would go good with any color. My favorite is the earlier Burgundy shades. I also like my black engine in it's red engine bay. No doubt about it, red and black do go together well.
You'll pick the right color Vince! One o'clock in the morning, you'll wake up from a dead sleep and say, I'VE GOT IT!!!
happy0148.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I think Stewart hit the nail on the head. To me it would depend on the surrounding color. I do think Healey Green would go good with any color. My favorite is the earlier Burgundy shades. I also like my black engine in it's red engine bay. No doubt about it, red and black do go together well.
You'll pick the right color Vince! One o'clock in the morning, you'll wake up from a dead sleep and say, I'VE GOT IT!!!
happy0148.gif
Happens every time.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
My car is red but the bay is White. I plan on repainting the entire engine bay while the engine is out and a re-spray/bodywork of the car is in order. Maybe black is not so bad while in the red bay.

On the motor I showed the glyptal interior block paint on, here it is from the outside. The customer suppiled me with Bill Hirsh engine paint, it supposely one of the top hi heat engine paints used on show cars. It comes in quarts and has to be sprayed for best results. I was very pleased with the product, it's super glossy, and has a hard shell. It cost about 35.00 for quart, It comes in BMC olive, MG Maroon, black and couple dozen other colors. it's a good product, and I would definately use it again.

Attachments

• 13214.jpg
    13214.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 648

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Eye candy! <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 11pt">Wow.</span></span> What else is there to say!
happy0158.gif

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
oooohh and an aluminum rear engine plate.

Looks great.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Nice rocker assembly too. What is it?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here are the photos I promised...

1st photo is the completed red engine for Jerri's Glacier White '70 GT (doesn't have the clear coat on it yet); 2nd is a photo of all 3 engines presently on stands being built; 3rd photo is closer look at the engines behind the red engine...the blue one is for my '63 MGB & is only painted Ford Blue because that was the cheapest paint I could find to use to protect the engine after machine work until rebuild begins; the maroon & black one is a 3-main I'm beginning to 'play' with, don't know where I'll use it.

Oh, all 3 engines have "X" heads!

& on the floor behind the air tank is an 18V short block that will become the donor for my '68 GT historic racecar (its "X" block is sitting on my work bench.

Attachments

• 13225.jpg
    13225.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 541
  • 13226.jpg
    13226.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 536
  • 13227.jpg
    13227.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 534
OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Tony.

I see a crank standing up there too. What are "X" heads and blocks?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Crank is for the blue engine....heads are "X"...blocks are just blocks.....as for what "X" heads are, until I've collected all I need, I'm not telling!!

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And how do you know I do not have some I want to get rid of....hmmm? I don't know how I got them all but I have at least 10 blocks here including 6 B's, a few 1275's, a Magnette 1500 and a 1952 TD. When will it end.