• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A TR4A solid axle assembly

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello all,
I am currently restoring a TR4A solid axle car. Apparently, the original rear axle assembly has been substituted with an earlier TR4 assembly, as it lacks the metal "buffer pad" welded to the top of the axle housing. After dis-assembly, I noticed significant damage to the spacer blocks that go between the spring and the housing, which attach the lever shocks. This was likely caused by the spacer block striking the body. The buffer pad provides clearance between the buffer cone attached to the body and the rear end housing. I think the easiest fix would be for me to weld a buffer pad on my existing housing, rather than try to source another axle housing. Would some kind person please email (slantws AT comcast DOT net) me a photo of that area on a TR4A solid axle? Thanks much. Jerry Oliver Olympia WA

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
Jerry,

Welcome to the forum!! It is great to have another TRactor driver, especially another 4A solid axle driver.

I can't get you a photo at the moment, but the Moss Motors catalog has a nice line drawing of the 4A solid axle, which should be on the website, too. Look at the rear suspension/axle section.

Best of luck,
Jeremy

OP
J

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
All, Thanks for the welcome. I did see the drawing, but am hoping for a photo so I can guesstimate the size shape etc.
Anyone know if the old TR email list by Mark B. is still in existence??? I tried thelist manager, but it is apparently malfunctioning. Tried to subscribe directly thru MajorDomo and got a list not found message. Its been a number of years since I restored my last TR4A. Jerry

Twosheds

Darth Vader
Jerry_Oliver said:
Anyone know if the old TR email list by Mark B. is still in existence??? I tried thelist manager, but it is apparently malfunctioning. Tried to subscribe directly thru MajorDomo and got a list not found message. Its been a number of years since I restored my last TR4A. Jerry

The Triumph e-mail list is still around. https://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/triumphs

Maybe you can find a 4A live axle for sale?

PeterK

Yoda
Isn't the aluminum spacer block the part that is damaged?

The metal buffer pad that is welded to the 4A rear axle tube is a direct replacement for the TR4 strapped on piece. It provides aplace for the rubber buffer to rebound against but does not act as a spring spacer.

There is also a difference between the TR4 and TR4A aluminum spacer blocks in the area where the shock link mounts. I have both here as well as a TR4A rear diff and axle tubes.

Let me know exactly what you need measured and I will do it for you.

btw, you are looking for www.team.net that Mark B still runs.

OP
J

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
PeterK,
Thank you!!! Please measure and/or photograph the buffer pad itself and its location on the axle. Also, the spacer block. I remember there is a part number on the spacer blocks I have, but I'm at home and car is at my workshop. Do your blocks have numbers also?

Yes, the spacer block "nose" that protrudes for the lever shock arm took a number of blows. I have repaired that by welding. I hope they are TR4A blocks, as they are NLA.
I think the damage occurred due to lack of the buffer pad, allowing the housing to rise when bottoming out far enough for the spacer block to strike the bottom edge of the wheel well.

Good to know Mark still has that list. Maybe some of the fellows I talked to 10 years ago are still around. But I have to say, I really am impressed with his forum. A great resource for us TR guys, which I still am even though I own a few Jags. I bought my first TR4A in 1967. Jerry

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I used to have a TR4A solid axle, and have to say it was about my favorite car ever, in regards to your question I don't have it anymore, but did take a lot of restoration pics, when I get a chance will look through and see if any show that area, they are old pics so would have to scan them.

I also know where the car went when I sold it, but haven't seen much of the guy who bought it for quite a few years.

Good luck!

PeterK

Yoda
OK Jerry here goes. My 4A is up on the lift and the 3A is below it so I can't get close enough to take new picture or measure. BUT, I do have these picture from when I did my chassis.

One pic per post

Attachments

• 13169.jpg
    13169.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 146

PeterK

Yoda
Notice that the bumper pad is directly above the sprint purch and u-bolts, which actually run through it. Eyeball size would be 2-1/2" x 3" and roughly 1-1/2" high with a 1/2" concave in the center.

Attachments

• 13170.jpg
    13170.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 147

PeterK

Yoda
This shows the difference in the spring bloks.

On the left is Stanpart 212225 from a TR4A - measure from the rear (left in the photo) edge, 5-1/2" to the center hole of the shock link mounting. Same blok is used on either side. Shock link is doglegged in shape.

On the right is Stanpart 209962 from a TR4 - measure from the rear (left in the photo) edge, 4-1/2" to the center hole of the shock link mounting. These are also handed i.e the shock link mount is not centered LtoR, so there is a left and right blok. Shock link is straight.
Otherwise, the same height, width, etc.

Hope this gets you going!

-PeterK

Attachments

• 13171.jpg
    13171.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 141

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jerry_Oliver said:
Tried to subscribe directly thru MajorDomo and got a list not found message.
JIC it's not clear from John's reply, the Triumph list got moved to a different list manager, known as MailMan. But it's basically the same as before, similar commands and all; just a bit more reliable.

OP
J

Jerry_Oliver

Freshman Member
Country flag
Peter,
Thanks much for the photos. From the photos, I can tell I do have the correct aluminum spacers. I think I should be able to add the buffer pads to my housing. If you get a chance, a HXWXL measurement would be great.
Thanks to all for the help. Jerry

PeterK

Yoda
Jerry,

If I can get out from under my (winter's coming) chores enough to clean behind the 3A to take it out and lower the 4A on the lift a little, I will. Things are frantic up here in the Fall.

-PK

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Jerry, I wish you were here on the east coast. I have a TR4A rear live axle from a car I parted out, and I'd let it go verrry cheap. I need the brakes off the ends, then I want the axle out of my yard.
Pitch black out right now, but I should be able to measure the pads tomorrow.
At least it will serve some use.