• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Coil Springs/Por 15

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Hello,
Day two of kingpin/ wishbone rebuild. The brackets for the wishbones were bent back, it took me most of today to hammer them straight, sure hope everything lines up ok. .One of the bracket holes was oval so I filled in the oval part with my meg welder and filed the hole round looks like new just hope it lines up. Dropped the king pins off, a local guy has a reamer, said he would fit them today. I purchased new wishbones from Moss, they are beautiful. Will get my sprite aligned when done.
I was going to paint the coil springs with Por 15, is it ok to paint them? Somebody somewhere said never paint the springs.
Another job that is taking many hours
Cheers Phil

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The ones I ordered were already sprayed black when I received them. Are you ordering them from a Moss distributor?

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
No they ae the old ones, they measure the correct height look good just need some TLC.
Phil

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
I painted the springs on my MGB about 15 years ago, they looked great and did not seem to cause any problems.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I used black rustolum.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
I think they should be fine. I had heard somewhere that maybe por 15 is to heavy.
thanks
Phil

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
MCS said:
(...) Will get my Sprite aligned when done.

Hi Phil,

Don't bother, there isn't any adjustable caster / camber. Just get out the ol' measuring tape, and set about 1/8" of toe-in.

You can use a spacer kit under the spring pan (see the Moss / VB cattledog) or just use washers or cut up pieces of tubing. This will drop ride height and give slight negative camber, but that's up to personal taste.

HTH,
Duncan

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I just used black rattlecan paint but a friend assures me that tremclad is the most flexible of paints just needs a few days to dry. it's what he uses on his springs

H

highhilleer

JPSmit said:
I just used black rattlecan paint but a friend assures me that tremclad is the most flexible of paints just needs a few days to dry. it's what he uses on his springs

By the way for us yankees, below the border, Tremclad is Rustoleum.

dklawson

Yoda
POR is actually a very tough (and flexible) paint and the film thickness with two coats is not that heavy. You should not have any problems with the POR if you prep the springs properly (follow POR's instructions). Keep in mind that POR is discolored by UV light. You may want a more traditional chassis black paint on top of it.

dklawson

Yoda
My milling machine is painted with their Hardnose paint. I like the results. However, the Hardnose paints aren't formulated for the same "paint over rust" treatment and protection that the trademark POR-15 product is.

OP
M

MCS

Jedi Warrior
Thank you for the replies. Parts are painted waiting for kingpins. One of the bushings that was in the Moss kit only had half of the oil channel machined into it. I am certain I would have missed that but the mechanic installing and reaming the bushings has done many. He noticed the problem imediately. He offered me the use of his reamer but I asked him to fit the bushing, this time it worked for me.
Phil

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
dklawson said:
My milling machine is painted with their Hardnose paint. I like the results. However, the Hardnose paints aren't formulated for the same "paint over rust" treatment and protection that the trademark POR-15 product is.

That is correct. According to their (POR-15) catalog "...for use over primed or painted surfaces...".

I have purchased the original POR-15 paint for the bond coat to bare metal and underside of the car; I have a selection of Hardnose paint ready for use on the exposed surfaces, other than the body exterior.

Ray