• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

SSsnake's Getting His 'Eyes'

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
A little more shaping on the driver side fender to make the headlight fit perfectly & then they start building the brackets for inside the fenders that hold the lights. Next is forming the chin spoiler & moulding the valance to the fenders & installing park lights.

& they started fabricating the rear spoiler today - with integrated 3rd brake light!! But I don't want to let on too much about it yet.

Attachments

• 12881.jpg
    12881.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 739

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Needs fangs. Do overriders play a role in this design? Looking really good Tony but I think your tow in is a bit off. :laugh:

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
vping said:
Needs fangs. Do overriders play a role in this design? Looking really good Tony but I think your tow in is a bit off. :laugh:
hehehehe...for the rest of the front end look, you'll just have to wait....& there's just enough front suspension under it to allow us to roll it around if necessary...the custom front suspension/steering is in my garage:

hawkes3.jpg

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Lights look great. Pray you never need to replace a ballast or an ignitor on an HID headlight.

But you know, I'm not feeling the love for the teardrop hood scoop. Something about the lines with the MGC hump in the front. Maybe I need I different angle.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Scott_Hower said:
...I'm not feeling the love for the teardrop hood scoop. Something about the lines with the MGC hump in the front...

I'm with Scott on this one, Tony...

There are two looks that appeal to me, at least. One is the fluid, can't tell where one part starts and the other ends, thought out at a design table rather than a sheet metal shop, no single part/area that draws attention to itself. The other is the in-your-face, customized, sharp delineation between the original (stock) design and the modified version for an obvious reason.

The hood on the car (IMO) misses, falling into the 'kludged' category. Maybe it's the combination of two dissimilar elements, the rectangular raised stock hood bump to which has been added (obviously) a teardrop reversed scoop.

The fix...I'm not sure. Perhaps extending the scoop all the way down to the front of the hood, mainitaining a constant width, and a radius that matches the "C" hood bump at the sides and front. {Think about how the GM stylists did it with so many products, Corvettes, Camaros, etc.) Yes, visibility would be reduced...a small price for a better look. It would be quite easy to mock it up using either cardboard templates and/or foam shaped to approximate the profile. Some cardboard and foam, a hot glue gun, a camera, and an hour or two is all it would take. I think it would be worth the time to do it now, rather than later.

Tony...no offense...I love the car, otherwise I wouldn't have posted. Just want you to hear the comments now, in this forum, while the car is under construction, rather than down the road at a cruise/show.

All that said...it's your car...and your tastes...you are most welcome to tell me and anyone else to butt out.

Ray

Smesne

Freshman Member
What about just cutting the teardrop off and letting a nice chrome air intake stick up through the hood? I've seen some gorgeous cars done that way.

That would allow you to leave the "C" bump in place without the distraction of another scoop but still gives you a nice "in-your-face" look that says you mean business.

My $.02 (worth about half that due to inflation).

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Boy talk about business, that engine has got 300 HP. I can't wait.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Good comments all...I've a vision of the hood after paint & striping that I hope ties the 2 elements together....& I need the extra height to clear the quad-44 SU's that are on my Boxer cross-ram intake!

SSsnake05.JPG

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here ya go, Tim...

boxerv8.JPG

That's a Glenn Towry-built engine & 5-speed transmission!!

I just got back home from visiting my ill elderly aunt in Mississippi - stopped by the bodyshop to take some additional photos....will post them later today....from the side, all the lines & angles are equal & fall together.

When we paint the car, there'll be some accent work that'll blend all the different elements together....we've got a graphic designer working on the stripe ideas.
Oh, when I was at the bodyshop, SSsnake was also getting his 'tail'!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Where do you procure the SSsnake chrome flashing for the rear?

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's a side view showing how all the lines match - even the windshield...& the front chin spoiler isn't built yet nor is the Sebring valance faired into the fenders...heck, the fenders aren't even bolted on solidly yet - we do that Monday!

Attachments

• 12901.jpg
    12901.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 553
OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
.....&: SSsnake's Getting His 'Tail'

It's just sitting there right now...they've got it cut to fit & now have to build the 'feet' & then shape them to fit the trunk lid once we figure the exact placement front to rear (think it'll be just after the peak of where the taillights meet the quarter panel)

Attachments

• 12902.jpg
    12902.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,556
  • 12903.jpg
    12903.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 549
  • 12904.jpg
    12904.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 549
  • 12905.jpg
    12905.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,015
  • 12906.jpg
    12906.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 544

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Re: .....&: SSsnake's Getting His 'Tail'

Oh boy, how cool is this?

Country flag

This is definitely a one-of-a-kind, something you don't see everyday automobile! :laugh: I can't wait to see it finished, I am sure you can't either!!!

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

When its finished, it'll be my everyday driver...I want all your comments - good or bad - & will consider them.

I'm gonna talk with my bodyman tomorrow about the hood lines & maybe try some of your ideas.

& definitely tell me what you think about the spoiler (tail).....it initially was on a 1991 Mazda MX6...we cut it down approximately 5"-6" on each side of the 3rd brake light...now, we're rebuilding the 3rd brake light base & the 2 feet to fit the contour & height requirements of the MGB trunk lid....

Someday, as we get closer, I'll tell you about our thoughts for striping, colors, etc....suffice it to say, they carry out the snake concept!

{EDIT: I don't think the hardtop will ever come off - to me, it just makes the car look sinister!}

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag

I don't mind most of the mods on the body. I assume that the dashpots are what sticks up to high to clear the stock bonnet, so it was just a choice between a single wider bulge down the centre or two, one for each side, sort of like a double sided MGC. Your choice was probably as good as any.

If it were my project I'd lose that Rice Rocket rear deck spoiler though - shades of the local honda Civics. Unless you plan to install twin exhaust pipes with 5" diameter of course....:smile: No offence, just my opinion.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

billspohn said:
I don't mind most of the mods on the body. I assume that the dashpots are what sticks up to high to clear the stock bonnet, so it was just a choice between a single wider bulge down the centre or two, one for each side, sort of like a double sided MGC.
Yep!

Some comparisons with & without "tail":

Photo 1 versus Photo 2:

SSsnake02.JPG

tail04.JPG

Photo 3 versus Photo 4:

SSsnake01.JPG

tail06.JPG

Oh, Bill, those 2 holes through the rear valance are where the dual exhaust system tips protrude - no, not 5"-ers though...hehehe

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
tony barnhill said:
Here's a side view showing how all the lines match - even the windshield...& the front chin spoiler isn't built yet nor is the Sebring valance faired into the fenders...heck, the fenders aren't even bolted on solidly yet - we do that Monday!

Ok, this angle works for me. :smile:

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Another opinion ... sorry, cant help myself, tell me to go away/shut up and I will... side gills are too large/low. Maybe an M3 gill?