• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I Love Vise-Grips!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Good old Vise Grips! Saved the day for me last weekend.

I ran a 20 laps sprint race and two practice sessions last Saturday with no problem.
Later in the day, we had a one hour mini-enduro. About 30 minutes into the enduro, my engine feels very weak under 4500 RPM....I figure it must be dirt in the carb or something. Eventually I finish (third out of eight in my class) but the thing poops out in the pits, forcing my all-girl pit-crew to push the thing back to the truck (they were not amused).
When I look at the carb, I realize that the top stud has come loose and there is a 1/4" gap between the manifold and carb.....a HUGE vacuum leak.
The carb is a special S&S pumper carb that uses a homebrew adapter....it really wasn't possible to fix the stud in a timely or proper fashion so I did the next best thing: I Vise-Gripped the carb to the manifold. The next day I ran a 20 lap sprint with no problems (and got another third place). The Vise-Grip was safey-wired and duct taped to make sure it didn't go anywhere if it came loose. The orange stuff to the left of the Vise-Grip is RTV sealer. Anyone else had a *creative* use of this handy tool?

vise_grp.jpg

It was a rough day for my equipment.....here's a picture of my left-front Kumho after Sunday (the area in the red box shows exposed tire cord):

https://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/tire.jpg

Bugeye58

Yoda
Well, I've used them for both an emergency steering wheel, and a shifter.
Regarding the tire, just crank in some more negative camber and flip it on the rim. There's lots of rubber left!
Jeff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jimd

That is pretty good...jeez, while you were having fun, I was using my vise-grip (and I'm not kidding - really) over the weekend to reverse pound (can't think of a better way to describe it) the 1/2" pipe that I use to stake the compost fencing. I 'gripped' the pipes (6 of them in turn) and smacked it upwards with a small sledgehammer. Very awkward and the crummy part about it was the wicked sting it puts on your 'holding' hand/wrist while you smack the grip up. But, I got the stakes out (actually, I have 1 left) and have the compost dug out almost all the way. Still slaving over the yard but, making some progress. BTW, one might ask why I didn't just climb into the compost and dig it out that way. Well, if mice only knew how creepy they were they wouldn't scamper away all the time...I really didn't want to have to be jumping in and out of the thing every time I saw one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

I did like your ingenuity though...

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
My second date with my ex wife back in 77......My good friend rolls up to the light in his 72Toyota Celica which he is constantly putting more and more performance parts in......I,m in My 69 Rover 2000TC.......He can usually beat off the light handily but once i,m rolling i can run him down.......Anyway my ex is not amused with our racing......So light turns green and i,m off first and grab second gear only to have the gearshift snap off in my hands.....Now she really isn,t amused muttering some obscenity about my rear end........I tell her to nicely reach in the back seat and grab a set of vice grips out of my tool box.........Back on the way in minutes........LOL....Looking back Vice Grips were and are still more usefull than her /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

Bill Robertson