• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

buying a Jaguar

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Jaguar owners:

Seriously considering purchasing a Jaguar as a retirement gift to myself. I've done a fair amount of research. All of the "hot" collectible models are out of my price range (XK's for example) Also, I have 2004 Mini Cooper S and a 1961 Austin Healey BugEye Sprite. Both look and drive better than new. So, I want the Jaguar to be in the luxary category rather than sport. I'm not interested in a soft top.

I'm willing and able to work on it in terms of cosmetics, interior,etc. Not real skilled at a heavy-metal mechanics.

Can I get a driveable Jaguar such as I'm describing above? I've heard that since I'm interested in the "English" pedigree of the car, I should avoid post 1990...is that correct?

Really appreciate your help on this.

dave in St. Louis

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Look in the classifieds here on the BCF - there's a wonderful 1987 up in Nashville that's for sale!

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Dear Mr. Autoist:

You are so right. I checked out the BCF classified and that is a beautiful car.

I will research price.

Certainly wish I could see your garage/warehouse someday. The envy runs deep.

Thanks for replying.

dave

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
It depends what you want out of a car. XJ6Cs (the XJ6 in a short wheelbase 2 door coupe form) are fairly low production, great looking and have decent appriciation potential. XJ12s are the quietest smoothest highway fliers ever. The XJSs are great too (check my sig.) They are available in V12, inline 6, coupe cabriolet and convertible versions. My advice is pretty simple though. Buy the best possible car you can afford. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Jaguar.Drive a couple of examples before you buy, and try to decide which model really appeals to you

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee
"...there is nothing more expensive than buying a cheap Jaguar..."

This sounds like sage advice. It probably applies to British cars as a class.

What about a Jaguar from the '60's? Is it within reason to be able to get a sound vehicle for $20K?

I appreciate your help.

dave

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
There are some great Jaguar choices under $20,000 from the 60's but they are all saloons: the Mark IX, the Mark X, the 420G, the 3.4 Litre Mark I and 3.8 Litre Mark II and the S-Type. You can see what they look like on the Jag-Lovers forum (www.jag-lovers.com). My favorite is the S-Type for looks and performance. Good luck.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
The XJ6C's were mentioned, I am considering selling mine finally, mainly to see it restored. It is the rarest of all production Jaguars (the XJ12C and the Daimler Coupe models all totalled), the estimate is around 1,000 to 2,000 left in the world, less than half of those in the United States, at least when I bought mine in 2003 that was the info out there. Let me know, just google Jaguar XJ6C, you'll find some great fan sites, especially in Australia where they are extremely popular and have a tightly-knit group of owners. I fell for the model as soon as I saw it, and still believe a well-restored, or great original is one of the most beautiful Jags ever made. It was also the last car designed and dragged into production essentially by Sir William Lyons, but the XJ-S introduction left no room on the line-up for two coupes. Mine is an early example, 1975, VIN UF2J51101BW, and Jaguar shows XJ6 for 1975 beginning at UF2x50001BW, so it may be the 1100th car produced or the 1100th Coupe produced, never contacted JDHT for that info. Drop me a note, still haven't decided, but am selling the 1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas, on ebay, as we speak. Just not in the mood for putting in a used tranny or having the local transmission shop start out at $675 to $800, which I believe they actually can do the job for the lower end of the estimate, they have done many Borg Warner 66 units and only one or two went beyond the $675 (or the first estimates in yesterday's dollars over the years). Everything else on the car is very good, the typical rust around the frt. and rear windows is just beginning and can be stopped, the clearcoat is gone in a few spots, but a hood, roof and trunk lid repaint would fix that issue as well, if not just a buff and new clear coating. Drop me a note if interested. The XJ6C is just a feeler, to sell or not to sell at this point, but due to a job change and the midwest flooding in June that wiped out my lower-level, arguing with FEMA over the $5600 they missed in the structural work and mold clean-up, I am on the verge of letting the Coupe go, sadly.
Best Regards,
Brian

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Jesse: I have doing the homework your reply initiated.
It is a steep learning curve for a non-jaguarist. I certainly like the models you identified and I'm learning more the more I research.

Appreciate your input.

dave

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Brian:

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply. I did look at the 87 XJ6 Vanden Plas you have listed on ebay. I'm still in the research and learning mode, so I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet.

What distinguishes the "Vanden Plas" from other XJ6's?

dave in st. Louis

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Different seats, better grade of leather( Connoly Autolux), much nicer veneer on all the wood, reading lights in the back, and depending on the color, (IE not black or white) there were some VDP only paint colors. When new, there were lambs wool throw rugs in the back floors. Also, the armrests on the doors are different. They were the top of the line sedans.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Jessie,
I was away for a while and missed the Vanden Plas question. You nailed it all as far as I can see, I believe the original owners paid about $10K more for the extra lighting inside, and the throw rugs (that fell apart within about a year), the fold down armrest in the back had a lid for extra storage, and the rear seat bottoms were rounded on each side, looking much like the front seats. The cigar lighter in the rear center I believe was a VDP only feature also.

Dave,
By the way, how is your Jaguar search going, any purchase yet? Hope you land on the model that suits you best, they're all great in their own ways of course.

Best to all,
Brian

OP

198686d

Jedi Trainee
Brian:

You're "missing" a TR-3? That would be one of the worst things I can imagine. Still studying, researching and being a diplomat with spouse of 3+ decades. The whole process is fascinating and I will wind up with a Jaguar. I want it to be the right one.

later,

dave in st. louis

61 AH BE sprite
04 Mini
05 Vespa ET 4

in the past: TR-4; 65 Midget; 900 Saab; 9000 Saab Turbo; 504 Peogeot; Bultaco Sherpa -T 350 and Bultaco 250 Alpina

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
LOL at my idiocy...
I bought the TR3 from a man in western Indiana as a rolling shell, still had many TR3 parts around, but mainly TR3A. The Vin on the shell I bought was around TS14000. He and I agreed the transport could wait a while, I bought the XJ6C and got a bit pre-occupied to say the least. When I finally got back with him, he acted as though he never sold me the car (I have the title) even though we spent an entire day together going through his parts car collection in his front yard... a bit of everything. So, I let it go for now, have decided it is financially necessary to sell the XJ6C, for the good of the car. A sitting Jag is the worst thing one can do to a classic, and in hopes of a more ambitious person and a better mechanic hopefully purchasing the car, I am starting to take offers.. I'll be at a loss, but the car will hopefully not deteriorate waiting on me to save it. When I get the space cleared out I plan to go back to the TR3's location with the title and a flatbed and start with the shell, sandblast, paint and finish from there. The fenders, doors, seat frames are out there, and I figure it is just a head start on a ground up anyway, most of the TR3 already being on the groung as it is! Yes, I was told by phone that he wasn't sure he still had the car.. hence, the location unkown, but I am sure a 2 hour drive will find it right where I saw it last, he is parting numerous cars on ebay, but there isn't anything to part with this baby. If it is gone, I will ask him for credit toward another project, he had a few MGA's which I also love and have owned, and a very solid TR4 that I almost took the day I was there.... doubt he still has that one. I sent you a PM, asking how your search was coming. Curious, I saw you posted XJ vs. X300, which XJ did you mean, XJ40 (88-94) or Series III (79-87) or some other series? Wanted to reply but wasn't sure which you were comparing. The X300 is basically a made over XJ40, given the classic dual headlight treatment, and the more traditional Jaguar styling that the XJ40 veered away from. The later X350's I believe were the beginning of the XJ8... I may have a bit of insight if you tell me which XJ you meant.
Thanks for the laugh on my TR3, believe me, I find it amusing too. If it had been a show car, I'd be in a wrecker with a search party right now.....
Brian

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
..See my Pub entry "New old '99" XK8, I got this for 11.3K and its in great condition, I had a '97 that the tensioners had been repaced, the pre "2000 problem" is overblown unless the it was run on high sulfur gas (some states)for sometime. My '99 has not had the tensioners replaced, but are in fine shape. Check Cars.com or autotrader.

Cheers.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am near retirement age too, if not passed my time. I've owned a 1984 XJ-6 for the last 17 years and a 1965 'S' type for the last 5. I like the Saloons. The 'S' type is my favorite, it is the grandfather of the XJ-6. Many similarities in design.

yes you can get a solid and sound 1960's 'S' type for around $25k, show-driver like mine.

I know of such car. It has a manual 4-speed plus overdrive transmission, the 3.8 engine, steel wheels, air conditioned, (aftermarket but period), a 9-point car, meaning that it needs a few cosmetic details attended, (no body work required, only some leather and detailing repairs). Asking price is $26k. The car has been upgraded with all new suspension rubber and new exhaust system.

you can also get a nice 1987 XJ-6 for around $6k as Tony suggests. I know of a few here in Nashville, very solid cars.

But a classic is a classic, and the XJ-6 is in limbo as to classic status. XJ-6 prices are at an all-time low, while the 'S' type is rapidly increasing in value because there are so few in top-choice condition. (( only around 24 thousand 'S' types were made for the entire world between 1963 and 1968, so the supply is extremely limited after 45 years, and most of the available cars are in poor shape one way or another )). Parts are readily available, so buy the 'S' type if you can afford it, but don't buy a "restorable" car, it doesn't pay. At your and my age, only a Showroom-condition car will do, otherwise you're just buying someone else's problems.

Regardless of what you buy, buy Southern or Western cars, those are the best preserved. If you see signs of rust in the rocker panels, walk away quickly, it's probably a Rust Belt car. I am talking about cars that you can drive home, not junkers that must be towed away. The way I see it, if the car won't drive me home, it is not worth buying at any price.

Ex

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
here's my '65 'S' type

Attachments

• 13804.jpg
    13804.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 199

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
no, I'm not offering mine. I know where there is another that can be had for around $25k, assuming the owner has not changed his mind. The other car is BRG and it has steel wheels as opposed to mine which has the chromed factory wire wheels. I prefer the steel wheels myself, gives me more options to install different wheels. Wire wheels are pretty but a PITA to clean. Anybody has any tips for fast cleaning of wire wheels?

Also, sure you can get cheaper, price is always conmensurate with condition.
You get what you pays for. It never fails.

Ex