• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil keeps getting everywhere!

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
(This is for my '74 Spitfire 1500 - basically stock - only modifications are cheapo header and a dual oil pressure/temperature guage from a MGB).

Ok this is a bit odd but when driving at a decent speed (say 50-60mph) for any period of time (say over 15 minutes) something is slashing oil everywhere in the engine compartment. Not a huge, huge amount but definitely there. Hits the hood above the carb. It gets all over the carb, battery, valve cover, etc. Its hard to track down where its coming from. Any ideas? I vaguely remember an issue the dip stick shooting up on these motors but can't remember details.

Thanks, Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Dave,

I would think if an oil film is going all over the engine compartment, the oil is leaking under pressure. Have you observed any blue smoke from the exhaust or oily build up on the interior of the exhaust pipe? Blow by at the piston rings would pressurize the crank case might cause oil to blow out at any place to relieve the pressure. External oil lines and caps on oil galleries along the block may be another source. My cars are all pre '67 so they are not equipped with emission controls, however blockages in the plumbing and components may be pressurizing the crank case. I would suggest you clean up everything and the run the engine with the bonnet up and look for the leak. if you don't find any leaks at idle, increase engine RPM and continue to observe.

I had a Fiat 124 Spyder once, for a short while, that blew oil out the dip stick hole it needed new rings and valve guides. The car was trailed by a large cloud of blue smoke so the problem was quite obvious.

Safety fast,
Dave

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Good advice -- anything that inhibits crankcase ventilation will send oil pushing out in so many places that the source of leaks will be had to find.

I've never used the UV dye for oil (like the one used for AC refrigerant) but that could eb an alternative if the leak can't be spotted after cleaning things up.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Dave first thing to do is to clean up the engine on the passenger side. Esp. around the dip stick. After everything is clean double check and make sure this is where your oil is coming from. I am currently facing the same issue on my spitfire. I would suggest making a vent to fix the problem as it is the only real solution. I plan on removing the fuel pump putting an electirc on in the trunk then making a plate to fit over the old fuel pump mounting location placing a one inch tube in it with a j bend pointing up and placing a push on type air filter on the top of that. With any luck I will have the time to do this this weekend and let you know how it works.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Geo,

Thanks for the ebay link. If I can win that it will cut out one step of making my breather.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Breathers are fine, but usually excessive crankcase pressure is a sign of broken rings ect.This is the type of problem that is best addressed sooner as latter. The 1500 is not known for doing well with little oil.......
MD(mad dog)

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Just a comment about the fuel pump blanking plate (used as a breather point). I tried this in my 1500 racer and it didn't really work very well. I added a number of baffles and bends, but it still pushed oil out (into a catch-can, in my case).
I ended up using a plain fuel pump blanking plate and venting only through the valve cover.
In my case, I added a short piece(about 1.5" long) of 2" PVC pipe between the carb and air filter....sort of like a 1.5" "spacer". I drilled into this "spacer" and connected a piece of rubber hose to it with the other end going to the valve cover vent. No more problems! (if it seems like it's sucking oil through this hose, you can "pinch" it down with a hose clamp.....I used 1/2" ID hose)
On the street, I can get away with the regular dip stick. For racing, I've been duct-taping the stick to keep it from weeping (but I just threaded the hole and built a special threaded dip stick....a nicer solution).
These 1500s all seem to push oil when driven hard, but if it's doing it with mild street driving, you may want to consider the comment above. These things do crack rings and pistons...which can cause excess blowby. You may want to check compression to see if there's any weak cylinders. A quick way to spot a weak cylinder is to start the engine and let it idle: remove one spark plug wire at a time and see if the RPM drop is the same on all four. Be sure to use insulated pliers or heavy rubber gloves!

By the way, my car only had "light" blowby, ran decent and would still pull to 5800 RPM in 4th gear when I pulled this piston out last Fall:

1500_piston.jpg

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
does running at 3500rpm for 1/2hr to an hour count as being "driven hard"? Unfortunatly I live outside the main city and have to do a fair bit of highway driving to get anywhere.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
does running at 3500rpm for 1/2hr to an hour count as being "driven hard"?....

No, I wouldn't say so. My 1500 Spridget is geared tighter that a Spit and has pretty low-profile tires. My car needs 4000 RPM to do about 65 MPH (barely fast enough to keep from getting squashed in NJ). It's just my opinion, but I'd say you should be able to drive at 4000 RPM all day long without creating unusual blowby (unless something is wrong).

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
does running at 3500rpm for 1/2hr to an hour count as being "driven hard"?....

No, I wouldn't say so. My 1500 Spridget is geared tighter that a Spit and has pretty low-profile tires. My car needs 4000 RPM to do about 65 MPH (barely fast enough to keep from getting squashed in NJ). It's just my opinion, but I'd say you should be able to drive at 4000 RPM all day long without creating unusual blowby (unless something is wrong).

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm ... yeah that is what I thought. An excuse to poke around in the garage then!

V

vagt6

This is just an afterthought, but it is possible that your oil line may have a very small hole in it that make oil spray out in a fine spray or stream.

You might tighten your oil line, then start the engine and rev it enough to get max oil pressure. Then observe to see if it occurs.

Forgive me for overstating the obvious, but maybe it will help.

Good luck!

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
This is just an afterthought, but it is possible that your oil line may have a very small hole in it that make oil spray out in a fine spray or stream.

You might tighten your oil line, then start the engine and rev it enough to get max oil pressure. Then observe to see if it occurs.

Forgive me for overstating the obvious, but maybe it will help.

Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

With me ALWAYS state the obvious. I'm new at this so any suggestions appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

my 1500 blew oil for a bit as well, my solution is similar to above. i bought a plastic tee and plumbed it in between the valve cover and the carb(webber) and ran a piece of hose as a vent to the ground. wire tied it and seems to work pretty good.

I read about this somewhere Maybe it was here.

mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
well all the oil is coming from around the bolts on the valve cover. Interestly after running I took the valve cover cap off and smoke (exhaust came out - just a little but odd). Is this a sign of blow by?