• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts here?

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Same here. Don't own one but want one really bad. I had the chance to but Nortons on two occasions for $1,200 each. One was restored and the other was original condition. Both were 1975 models with the excellent electric starter. The british bikes are getting pretty pricy now.

cheesehead

Freshman Member
I was lucky enough to have a neighbor with 2 Nortons, a Triumph, and a 46 Jeep in desperate need of parts. He saw the wisdom of selling off the Triumph for Jeep part cash. I now have matching Triumphs as I painted the 59 Tiger 650 the same shade BRG as my TR4. Bikes can be had fairly cheap, running bikes cost more however.

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
Does a new Bonneville count? I won't ride vintage bikes for two reasons; poor brakes and right side shifter. Last old bike I had required so much force on the front brake lever that when switching back to a modern bike, I'd lock up the front wheel, which is ungood. Secondly, the shifter business is bad, because motorcycling must be completely instinctive, and jumping on a brake pedal thinking it is a shifter can be pretty exciting. Anyway, the new Bonnevilles sound, handle and feel just like the old ones did, but they don't leak, fail to start, or drop pieces on the road. Photo would be below, but cannot figure out how to make an attachment here.

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have 3 BMW's 1975 R90, 1980 R65, and 1982 R65 that I am the orignal owner. Would like to add a Triumph motorcycle to go with my 1959 TR3.

Don

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Webb,
I'm with you. I don't own a motorcycle, nor do I even know how to ride one, but I have always said that I would love a Norton Commando or Triumph -- preferably with a racing fairing on it.

I even remarked about this very subject last weekend, when my buddy and I were on a garage tour with the Classic Car Club. My friend has a Kawasaki replica of an Indian, and about ten minutes after our discussion, two of the garages featured old Norton, Triumph, BSA, Ariel and other bikes. In the first one, a Norton Commando and Triumph Bonneville each had for sale signs.

My friend told me that there's a guy down the street from me that hasa gaggle of old Triumph bikes in various states of needing restoration. I just want to buy one to stare at in my garage!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I am another fan of British bikes, but not fortunate enough to own one....If I did, it would have to be the Norton Commando, because my father used to work for Norton, and the gearbox (plus numerous other items) is his design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have a 1972 Yamaha DS7 (two stroke , sort of a complement to the 1963 DKW)collecting dust in the garage. It was a Mother's Day present to my wife. Its not British but it was fun. You're right about the shift/ brake. I rode a friend's BSA 650. Wow! it made great sounds and had plenty of torque but it took a lot of effort to rmember how to shift. T.T.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
I got a 69 Kawasaki triple in 1969, still have it. Scary SOB at the time. 3rd gear wheelies anytime. Pretty common now.

Also a 1983 Triumph TSS Eight Valve, new in 1983, last of the Meriden Triumphs. After finishing up & revising the factory engineering on it, a fast, good handling old bike.
D

OP
Webb Sledge

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
....If I did, it would have to be the Norton Commando, because my father used to work for Norton, and the gearbox (plus numerous other items) is his design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know who to blame when I get a Norton and absolutely despise the gearbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif