• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's happened to TVR

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
I know I should know, but is TVR still in existence? The last I heard was that the company had been bought by a young Russian and shortly after it went into liquidation. This seems a real shame as TVR really seemed to be on the up in recent years with some fantastic new models.

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Sometime after going into liquidation, the Russian (Nikolai Smolenski), bought the company back. But nothing much happened or was heard about the company for some time. Then, earlier this year, a TVR sign appeared on a converted barn in Lancashire outside of Blackpool fueling all kinds of speculation. Then, on July 10, a "debut", if you will, of an updated/revised Sagaris II was held at a location in Lancashire where the car was introduced to invited guests including TVRCC members, dealers, etc.
The next issue of SPRINT, the monthly publication from the TVRCC, had a full writeup of the gathering.
But, what this might mean for the future of the company is still very much a question.

OP
NickMorgan

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Thanks Mr TVR,
So I guess that means that TVR are no more in reality. I see a picture of the new TVR in the latest edition of Hemmings Sports & Exotic.
Nick

TXCoyote

Jedi Hopeful
NickMorgan said:
Thanks Mr TVR,
So I guess that means that TVR are no more in reality. I see a picture of the new TVR in the latest edition of Hemmings Sports & Exotic.
Nick

Nick,

What is reality anyway? I think the best way to put it is that TVR is in another dimension and may or may not visit our universe sometime in the future!

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Well said, Russ. But to expand on Nick's question, apparently they ARE, still, in reality. But for how long and with what results is the primary question. With Smolenski still in charge, it's anybody's guess.

OP
NickMorgan

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
It is all such a shame. The models produced in the last few years have been really great. I thought that the company was doing OK until it was bought out. It was Britain's biggest car manufacturer. I wonder what is left - Morgan? Why do the Brits let their companies be bought out by foreign companies?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
NickMorgan said:
... I wonder what is left - Morgan? Why do the Brits let their companies be bought out by foreign companies?

From the book <span style="text-decoration: underline">Morgan First and Last of the Real Sports Cars</span> by Brian Laban...

"Some years ago, Soichiro Honda, the late founder of the Honda Motor Company, reviewed the way the motor industry was restructuring itself, with smaller marques being swallowed up to become part of even bigger conglomerates, usually to become niche badges in a global business increasingly dominated by mergers and economies of scale. Mr. Honda, another of that increasingly rare breed with his own name over the door, observed - accurately as it would turn out - that eventually there would only be half a dozen major car makers in the world. Then after a pause he added. <span style="font-weight: bold">'and Morgan'</span>."

If you ever get the chance to read this book you will find the story of Morgan quite incredible. It gets a little dry in spots, but it's worth the read.

Edit: BTW, Morgan is gearing up for their centenary celebration next year. Now that would be a party I'd love to go to. :cheers: :banana: