• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

IT RUNS!!!!!!!

G

This is a cross post I made to the Megasquirt site. Thought you might enjoy seeing it here too. This is the most ambitious automotive project I've ever undertaken - and I still have a ways to go. (gotta get it all tuned up now) Some of you will probably hate me for contaminating this car. But I've retained all the original parts and they will go to the next caretaker. But for me its a driver and auto-x car - not a museum piece. Since I already have a website about my car and a few pics of the conversion process I'll just post the links here and a few notes. (Some of you have already seen this.)

Pics of the conversion - https://www.obrox.com/evante/eficonv/
General Info about the car - https://www.obrox.com/evante/

I just got it started for the first time tonight. It's been a long haul for me - a tad over a year since I started. But the initial startup only took about 3 minutes.

Since I took the pics and before I actually finished, I changed to the diode version of the experimental ITB Synchro MAP hardware board (https://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=29502&p=198385&hilit=synchro+map+itb#p198385) and it seems to be working very well initially.

Microsquirt ECU – the first iteration - modified with Bosch ignition drivers.
Wiring Harness from DIYAutotune
Assembled Relay Board from DIYAutotune
Injectors – Accel PN 150126 - 26 lbs/hr
Coil – Accel PN 140028 – This is an after market dual pack type coil manufactured for Ford Focus EDIS. Has European type contacts.
Spark Plug Wires –after market MSD 8.5 mm low resistance/low noise wires for 2000- 2004 Ford Focus 2.0L SOHC. MSD PN 32589. These ended up working perfectly. After much arranging the stock wire lengths worked out well with no modification.
Jenvey DCOE type twin throttle bodies. I think they are 48 mm.
AEM 30-4100 WB UEGO
IAT and CLT sensors are the standard GM type as recommended for Microsquirt.
TPS came with the Jenveys. I think it is a standard TPS – name escapes me at present.
MAP – At present I'm using 5 map sensors (will setup baro correction later) They are all MPX5100
Crank Trigger - Electromotive 1/2" VR sensor and 60-2 wheel with two additional teeth removed to run at cam speed so ECU sees the same as 30-2 on crank.
VR Sensor Bracket and cam wheel mount were custom fabricated by Abacus Racing, Virginia Beach, VA. They also welded in bungs for my CLT sensor and O2 sensor.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
very cool - I've never heard of an Evante - keep us posted, I know that different folk on the Spridget board are interested in Megasquirt and a few have made the conversion

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
Congratulations og getting it running!
Sounds like a bit of a haul, taking a year and all. But it sounds like you got it pretty much sorted. I'll bet you learned a bit about FI systems by now.

I have dreams of one day putting one on my frogeye, but I suppose it'll have to wait until it's together and running first.

OP
G

Thanks for the comments! It would be great to talk with others that have done conversions or are interested. There's never anyone on the Megasquirt forums that's working on an LBC. If anyone would like to talk EFI or DIS conversions please PM me. I have learned A LOT. I've never worked on EFI of DIS before I started this. There is only one person that I know locally that has any clue of what I'm talking about and talking with him has helped me out a little. But he has an 825 HP Toyota Supra street car. Though he has A LOT of knowledge and understands what I'm talking about, he isn't using a Megasquirt and our cars are VERY different, so we really aren't on the same page.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Forum member alana did the EFI conversion on his TR6.

Your crank (cam) sensor setup may make him jealous... he had a contest with his setup... 'course he didn't have the "luxury" of an available camshaft end stickin' out into space, either. :wink:

Soooo... what's a Vegantune mill with an EFI induction system "pencil out" at, in terms of HP output?

OP
G

Before the conversion we were getting 124.9 peak at the wheels, running about a 105-108 fuel (estimated - aviation/pump gas mix). (should be about 150 at the crank I guess - but that's an endless discussion) That was with 40 mm Dellortos with 36 mm chokes, IIRC. It the Dellortos were bottle necking it I should see some gain. (everything I read says they were a tad small - but my shop thought 45 Weber/Dellortos might be too big) I've had many discussions with my shop about the HP figures that I see for this engine from England. They think the dyno measurements that came from across the pond years ago may be a little different from theirs - quite possible since there are different correction factor specs that can be chosen and they've changed over the years. So - having said all that - I'll be happy if I see 130+ at the wheels when I'm done - slightly disappointed if I don't quite get there.

By choice - my cams are aggressive street cams - not full race. Richard Marshall at Vegantune said the highest he's seen is 168 at the crank using the cams I have if everything is just right - but I don't really expect to get to best case scenario. But in any case, I should have better response and flatter torque across the board. (and lower fuel cost!) I may try to do a second tune using high octane fuel like I ran previously and save both configurations to my laptop so I can switch back and forth.