• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First "long" trip

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well I took the Spitfire on its first real long-ish trip today. To Three Hills, Alberta - about 100 miles each way to the middle of nowhere (literally). Car performed like a champ although it was getting a bit hot the way home - tempature out side was 30C though.

here's a couple pics of the show -

https://img65.photobucket.com/albums/v197/arthurdent/Three%20Hills%202004/

Over 1000 cars! I couldn't find most of the Brit stuff - apparently it was in a seperate building.

Triumph_Spitfire_on_road_1.jpg

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Congrats on the long trip. I was so excited when I managed to put 100 miles on my TR3 a month or two ago...I just never get a chance to drive my old cars long distances, so it was nice to do a little endurance testing -- and have nothing break!

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Wish I could have made it to the show today, just didn't work out... Glad to hear the car performed well.

And Sammy, there's plenty of empty space to explore here in Alberta with an old sports car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Now if only I had that covetted Lotus Super Seven to explore those roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

StagByTriumph

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Sam, Nice 4+ car garage, but what, no lift??
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congrats on your trip 78. My spit hasn't been on a long trip since before winter, so i am preping it to go with me to Stillwater about 150 miles each way in a week or so to check out getting a job while I work on my grad work.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'll be taking my Spridget about 500 miles (round trip) next weekend: but I'm not driving it. I'll be taking it in the StepVan to BeaveRun Motorsport Park (Pennsylvania). Last year, I put on over 100 miles of track time at BeaveRun, so it's still likely to be a "long drive" weekend for my LBC (if nothing breaks).

ObiRichKanobi

Jedi Knight
Country flag
After all the trouble I had with the Spider last year, the wife and I decided to put it to the test on our "fall colors tour." Put about 240 miles on it in one day, up and over 2 9000' mountain passes, about 1/3 of the time out of cell phone service, and had no problems. Sure helps with the confidence factor! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The TR3 and I did a 300+ mile run for the Forum Ride on the 29th, and then yesterday went down to Dickson (less than 40 miles one way) to a car/air show. No sweat, and really nice rides. Absolutely right about the confidence factor.

urchin

Jedi Trainee
Oh, the delight of the first long trip. I have to use my TR-7 Spider daily, in New England winters and summers. I know I'm tempting fate in doing so - just crossed 70,000 miles this week. I'm having significant welding work completed on my '66 Land Rover Series II-A and I should have it back soon. It hasn't been used much since this winter, so I'll share your concerns soon. Meanwhile, I travel with my cellphone [even though the service hardly extends into my travel areas] charged up and AAA membership paid up.

Congratulations,

Jeff

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Sam, Nice 4+ car garage, but what, no lift??
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glen, my garage doors swing up, and there's only a 8ft ceiling. The supports for the roof run right above the drywall. (Realized this after I bought the house.) Luckily, my best friends down here are mechanics and have 4 lifts I can usually use during the off-business hours.

OP
78Z

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
thanks - I had my wife worried when I started packing tools, extra oil, etc. She said "Do you not think you'll make it?" and a my response of "I will probably be ok" didn't seem to re-assure her at at all.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Ya have to bring tools! Funny how wives are...they think if you're packing tools you're planning on breaking down. Not bringing tools ENSURES you'll have a minor roadside repair to do, yet no screwdriver or 13MM socket to do it with