• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Website Issue

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK - a new pet peeve:

Somebody please rationalize for me the practice of not giving location - physical address, or even city - or phone numbers on websites. I could understand if the company were "hiding" from something, but many of these are reputable outfits. Or they would be in my book if they displayed the info!

Has anyone else noticed this? Not a problem for you? Is this the wave of the future?

Have I had too much coffee already?

V

vagt6

No, you're right mickey. I've noted it for years.

Even when the address is listed, sometimes it's at the very bottom of a page in VERY small fonts, hard to read.

I dunno, may some small vendors don't want potential buyers to know that they're shipping stuff out of the home garage?

A peeve, for sure.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
OK - a new pet peeve:

Mickey, you can never have too much coffee, there is no life before coffee

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Must agree with Will on that.

...as for th' company website thing, at least a phone number! Prominently listed. The rest can come from Google.

bugimike

Yoda
Couldn't agree more. The omission of address and phone contact info always makes me think more like I could be scammed! Why hide???

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
weewillie said:
Mickey Richaud said:
OK - a new pet peeve:

Mickey, you can never have too much coffee, there is no life before coffee

ThanksWillieIreallyappreciatethebackupBoy,isithotinhereorisitjustme?Gladthecoffeepot'sstillpluggedinIthinkI'llgetanothercup.Bye.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I coulda sworn I saw Mickey come thru here.
grin.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
*sniff-sniff*

ARABICA!

:jester:

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
I think the reason for the general decline in contact information on websites is the fact that companies today are wanting to keep employment costs down, therefore if you don't have the phone number or the address, you have to go to email for communication. Therefore, rather than hiring six people to man phones, you can have one, and with email, there's no cost in sending a message out aside from one's time, internet, and electricity. Whereas, with a letter, you have to print, stuff an envelope, pay postage, plus one's time, and electricity.

If you want to see the real sad part about companies today, my employer has farmed out just about everything regarding HR operations. Internal job postings must go to a company in Seattle, and every job that you apply for, as long as you can pass the pre-screening tests (any monkey can do them), then you get a message that you're getting an interview, when in fact, you may not still get an interview. Don't even get me started on contacting the new payroll or the benefits dept.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
TR6BILL said:
Maybe they really don't want you to know where they are located.

Then they don't need MY money, do they? :smirk: